Coopers Community

First brew, does this look normal?

Muppet74

47 minutes ago, Muppet74 said:

Yes, you are correct, latest reading in the last photo and it didn't move again yesterday so I bottled it last night. There is definitely trub on the bottom, could be 2 cm. There was enough for me to be concerned about tipping the FV to get the last of the beer out.

Do you tip the FV to get the last of the beer out? What happens if you get trub in your bottles? 

Well looks like it has completed fermentation and good to go. Still a little concerned about the high reading though. 

Have you bottled in glass or PET bottles? If glass it might be prudent to store them in an area where it's easy to clean up just in case you get bottle bombs, you probably won't but best to err on the side of caution.

One of the benefits of cold crashing is the trub forms a very solid mass so is hard to disturb when tipping the fv. No big deal if you get a bit in a bottle,  it should settle to the bottom after conditioning. Just be careful when pouring. 

I remember having a brew that reacted in much the same way as yours did. It was drinkable but had an "oily" sort of mouth feel and next to no head. I'd be interested to hear how yours turns out.

Fingers crossed it's going to be fine.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Spursman said:

Well looks like it has completed fermentation and good to go. Still a little concerned about the high reading though. 

Have you bottled in glass or PET bottles? If glass it might be prudent to store them in an area where it's easy to clean up just in case you get bottle bombs, you probably won't but best to err on the side of caution.

One of the benefits of cold crashing is the trub forms a very solid mass so is hard to disturb when tipping the fv. No big deal if you get a bit in a bottle,  it should settle to the bottom after conditioning. Just be careful when pouring. 

I remember having a brew that reacted in much the same way as yours did. It was drinkable but had an "oily" sort of mouth feel and next to no head. I'd be interested to hear how yours turns out.

Fingers crossed it's going to be fine.

I'm just using the PET bottles that came with the kit, I wonder if glass holds more or less pressure? When I get a fridge I'll look at doing a cold crash. I had a look around on the forum and found others who had similar FG readings and I was becoming concerned about it spoiling so I decided to bottle. It's only my first brew and they say you learn more from your mistakes than successes! Obviously i'll wait at least two weeks to taste and see how we go. I hope to wait two months before I really get into it but I suppose that also depends how it goes on my first tasting.

The good thing with the PET bottle is that you can unscrew the lid and release some pressure if necessary.

You also won’t get shards of glass in your face if they explode.

They are great when you are first starting out.

Edited by Hairy
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, Muppet74 said:

I'm just using the PET bottles that came with the kit, I wonder if glass holds more or less pressure? When I get a fridge I'll look at doing a cold crash. I had a look around on the forum and found others who had similar FG readings and I was becoming concerned about it spoiling so I decided to bottle. It's only my first brew and they say you learn more from your mistakes than successes! Obviously i'll wait at least two weeks to taste and see how we go. I hope to wait two months before I really get into it but I suppose that also depends how it goes on my first tasting.

you can only improve as you go along mate

the funny thing is  your probably more experienced then myself when it comes to extract brewing   as i have only done 1 extract brew since returning to homebrewing  and before that it was like over 10 years ago..   i mainly do all grain brewing

i am looking forward to hearing how that 1st beer went  when ya crack one open

happy brewing

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, Hairy said:

The good thing with the PET bottle is that you can unscrew the lid and release some pressure if necessary.

You also won’t get shards of glass in your face if they explode.

They are great when you are first starting out.

I agree with @Hairy PET bottles are the best way to start as after a few brews you will get the feel of the fermentation process & especially the carbonation after bottling. Once they are nice & hard, usually after about 14 days they are ready to be placed in the fridge, obviously a few days to chill & settle but you could try one after 24 hours.

But, as you say;   but I suppose that also depends how it goes on my first tasting.

When you start using glass bottles you will by then have learnt how much more about the starting & finishing gravities & when to bottle & the carbonation process.

All the best, Cheers.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Muppet74 said:

I'm just using the PET bottles that came with the kit, I wonder if glass holds more or less pressure?

PETs hold more and will expand quite dramatically whereas glass just explode. It's actually quite spectacular! The females of our species tend to react with horror and a withering look of disdain ( it's giving me shivers just writing this).

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/16/2021 at 1:54 AM, Spursman said:

The females of our species tend to react with horror and a withering look of disdain

Done that, got the T shirt...

5 hours ago, Muppet74 said:

So just in case anyone is looking for the happy ending to this fairy tale, I cracked one today and it was totally drinkable

Glad to hear it mate 😉 

BTW, I rearely get much of a krausen off any brews, apart from when I use the Coopers Commercial that I reactivated following the video tips on the site. The hydrometer will tell you when it's done.

I tend to leave a brew much longer than necessary (sometimes three weeks), which is fine if you're not too much in a hurry to get stuck in. Helps with the clearing too.

Good luck with your brewing 👍

The fellas on this site are a God send for advice and so far haven't minded any of my questions, even the dumb ars*d ones...

Edited by stquinto
typo
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Muppet74 said:

So just in case anyone is looking for the happy ending to this fairy tale, I cracked one today and it was totally drinkable. Thanks for all the help.

That beer looks great.  Happy that you got through the 1st brew and you are now on the road to enjoying a  bloody great hobby.  Everyone here no matter how long they have been brewing and how they brew have done what you have just done, knocked the top off their 1st brewed bottle and thought, "it is drinkable".   Cheers. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Muppet74 said:

So just in case anyone is looking for the happy ending to this fairy tale, I cracked one today and it was totally drinkable. Thanks for all the help.

Well done! Were you nervous for your 1st time? I know I was, wondering if I'd bought all this stuff and made something vile. 😄 

See if you can find one of those range finders they use for artillery - you can use it to see if you can locate the bottom of the rabbit hole you just stepped into. 😄

• Like 1
  • Haha 3