Coopers Community

Coopers Products Available in New Zealand

Chinook Warrior

In NZ we have a very limited range of coopers products available and the Online Store is unable to dispatch to NZ.

One can substitute other brands for some products but its not quite the same.

When i purchased my first Coopers brew kit (5-6 years ago) there was a wider range of Coopers products available

What is to be done fellow brewers?

A quick Google took me to this store based in Auckland. https://www.brewerscoop.co.nz/category/181224
They deliver to South Island as well. The range is limited but @Chinook Warrior if you explore the Recipes pages and/or the Coopers recipe spreadsheet some of the contributors on here built and keep updated, you could make a plethora of excellent beers that are only restricted by the ingredients you can source and your imagination. ie. use the kits available and pimp them up with grain and hop additions. You'll be surprised of what you can achieve. It means a bit more work on your part but consider it as a broadening of your brewing skills. Good luck.

Chinook,   

My recipe spreadsheet is at the start of the thread and is well out of date. 

The new and improved version is by Shamus O'Sean at this link (or at the bottom of the thread) -

https://community.diybeer.com/applications/core/interface/file/attachment.php?id=14632&key=77979221b7e21ccec1df54afaf1a1dde

It is updated monthly with the Coopers recipes of the month and contains a lot more information and a lot more recipes.

Given the exchange rate is currently 0.96 the prices of the Coopers products in the shakies is pretty sobering.   They are paying $6 to $10 more per tin than Australians.  We are on a very good wicket in Oz.

Thanks for that Thirsty Jim 

We can get the bog stock standard brew tins for $14.50 and the APA and Euro Lager for $18.50 on a good day, however the brewer co-op mentioned by Muzzy seems consistently $5 -$8 more than at the supermarket, but they do have some new ones i haven't seen. Yeah you guys are on a good thing with free delivery as well

I haven't heard the term shakies before, I'm guessing that is an affectionate (or not so ) term for us brewers in NZ 🤣

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

Our National Sales Manager is on two weeks leave and it's the first actual holiday he's taken in living memory, so we're not going to ask him about this until he's back next week. In the meantime, it's not speaking out of school too much to say that DIY product ranging in the national retail chains is pretty much determined by the national retail chains. 😉 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

It is true that the range of Coopers products in NZ is rather limited.  

Coopers OS series and a couple of International series cans are usually available at several supermarkets at fairly 'competitive' prices - i.e $NZ14.99 for an OS tin.  I've picked up the odd can for $11.99 when on sale.   As was mentioned above there's often a few more options available at: https://www.brewerscoop.co.nz/category/181224  though much less so than in the past.

Other local NZ homebrew stores simply refuse to stock Coopers... I know, because I managed one such store for a year (2018).  The owner would tell customers that it was an inferior product.  The truth was though that he simply couldn't compete with the supermarket pricing so instead pushed the idea that his store only sold premium quality products and Coopers was just a budget supermarket brand -  i.e. "you get what you pay for".    Absolute nonsence of course.  And I told him as much.  That could also be one of the reasons I no longer have that job!  😁 

Blackrock, WilliamsWarn, Mangrove Jacks (cans not pouches), Lion and Brewtec (all manufactured at Speights in Dunedin) are competeing NZ brands which I imagine local suppliers will naturally give preference to.  Lion however is the only NZ brand that is price-matched with Coopers at the local supermarket.   

🤓

Edited by BlackSands
  • Like 2

45 minutes ago, BlackSands said:

It is true that the range of Coopers products in NZ is rather limited.  

Coopers OS series and a couple of International series cans are usually available at several supermarkets at fairly 'competitive' prices - i.e $NZ14.99 for an OS tin.  I've picked up the odd can for $11.99 when on sale.   As was mentioned above there's often a few more options available at: https://www.brewerscoop.co.nz/category/181224  though much less so than in the past.

Other local NZ homebrew stores simply refuse to stock Coopers... I know, because I managed one such store for a year (2018).  The owner would tell customers that it was an inferior product.  The truth was though that he simply couldn't compete with the supermarket pricing so instead pushed the idea that his store only sold premium quality products and Coopers was just a budget supermarket brand -  i.e. "you get what you pay for".    Absolute nonsence of course.  And I told him as much.  That could also be one of the reasons I no longer have that job!  😁 

Blackrock, WilliamsWarn, Mangrove Jacks (cans not pouches), Lion and Brewtec (all manufactured at Speights in Dunedin) are competeing NZ brands which I imagine local suppliers will naturally give preference to.  Lion however is the only NZ brand that is price-matched with Coopers at the local supermarket.   

🤓

I find that interesting as I thought being so close NZ would carry big stocks of Coopers Products, after all it's just across the duch - or ditch in your case as you have just pointed out. 😄

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 10/2/2021 at 5:29 PM, Classic Brewing Co said:

The owner would tell customers that it was an inferior product.  The truth was though that he simply couldn't compete with the supermarket pricing so instead pushed the idea that his store only sold premium quality products and Coopers was just a budget supermarket brand -  i.e. "you get what you pay for".    Absolute nonsence of course.  And I told him as much.  That could also be one of the reasons I no longer have that job!

That's rather short-sighted. What he SHOULD have done was promoted Coopers along with how, to make it up to a 'premium product' the home brewers should come see him for quality malts and hops to improve their brew. Then he could have sold Coopers to those who came in as they'd see it on the shelf and ask and he/you could say, "Oh yes, that goes very nicely with x hops" or "just do a partial mash with Y malts and have a hotel quality experience."

I've got one of that type here in Murray Bridge - everything is priced through the roof. I can get 5kg of LDME from Adelaide (85 kms away) and pay my petrol there and back and STILL be cheaper by about $10 than he would charge for 5 kg. And while I'm there, everything else is cheaper as well!

By a LOT!.

He wants more for an OS series than you pay in NZ.

That same store in Adelaide ships me up to 25 kg of product for $8.50 so it's not like freight is exorbitant.

6 minutes ago, Journeyman said:

That's rather short-sighted. What he SHOULD have done was promoted Coopers along with how, to make it up to a 'premium product' the home brewers should come see him for quality malts and hops to improve their brew. Then he could have sold Coopers to those who came in as they'd see it on the shelf and ask and he/you could say, "Oh yes, that goes very nicely with x hops" or "just do a partial mash with Y malts and have a hotel quality experience."

I've got one of that type here in Murray Bridge - everything is priced through the roof. I can get 5kg of LDME from Adelaide (85 kms away) and pay my petrol there and back and STILL be cheaper by about $10 than he would charge for 5 kg. And while I'm there, everything else is cheaper as well!

By a LOT!.

He wants more for an OS series than you pay in NZ.

That same store in Adelaide ships me up to 25 kg of product for $8.50 so it's not like freight is exorbitant.

Hey @Journeyman  is that the one near the school/Mannum Rd or the one on Adelaide road that sells breadmaking stuff, I have been to both but never bought anything 🤣

1 minute ago, Journeyman said:

Wait... there's one on Adelaide Road? How long ago?

Well it may have closed down, it was a while ago, he tried to do a bit of everything but was in a little complex with a tattoo shop & a Hydroponics shop, you know the pillar of society sort of folk. I just tried to google it but no go, looks like you are stuck with Bas'.  😬

10 minutes ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

Well it may have closed down, it was a while ago, he tried to do a bit of everything but was in a little complex with a tattoo shop & a Hydroponics shop, you know the pillar of society sort of folk. I just tried to google it but no go, looks like you are stuck with Bas'.  😬

Bugga! Got my hopes up for a moment. But makes sense - I keep meeting guys who 'used to' do home brew. Lose that many customers and it becomes non-viable.

3 minutes ago, Journeyman said:

Bugga! Got my hopes up for a moment. But makes sense - I keep meeting guys who 'used to' do home brew. Lose that many customers and it becomes non-viable.

As we have posted before there is one in Mt Barker as well as the newer one in Lobethal but a few more cliks & you are in Adelaide. 

I know what you mean about the ex-home brewers, it is obvious they never joined anything like this great forum & honed their skills, just stuck to the old methods & made swamp water., now they drink mega swill. 🤮

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

As we have posted before there is one in Mt Barker as well as the newer one in Lobethal but a few more cliks & you are in Adelaide. 

I know what you mean about the ex-home brewers, it is obvious they never joined anything like this great forum & honed their skills, just stuck to the old methods & made swamp water., now they drink mega swill. 🤮

I've met a couple that like craft beer - they just never learned to make it. 😄

• Haha 1