Coopers Community

Amber ale

Welcome to the forums.

In the Recipe Resource forum there's a post for the Coopers Recipes - find the latest version and download. You can click the little drop down arrow to select what 'can 1' or 'can 2' you are interested in and it will show recipes for those cans.

Do it for Amber Ale and check the recipes for hops etc. to get an idea of what to use.

1 hour ago, Mark the sipper said:

I was more hoping to know if it’s a good mix. The extract of amber and the amber malt. I’m a new brewer and need some advice. 

The Thomas Coopers Family Secret Amber Ale extract is very good on its own.

It may be best to do your first one using the two 500gms of Light Dry Malt only and see how it goes. You could then make adjustments if you like on the next one.

I don't think you need to add anything to this brew. No need to add things if not necessary or for the sake of adding something. 😃

Edited by Pickles Jones
  • Like 3

10 hours ago, Pickles Jones said:

The Thomas Coopers Family Secret Amber Ale extract is very good on its own.

It may be best to do your first one using the two 500gms of Light Dry Malt only and see how it goes. You could then make adjustments if you like on the next one.

I don't think you need to add anything to this brew. No need to add things if not necessary or for the sake of adding something. 😃

For the record I have tried this one & really enjoyed it, this comes pre-hopped & the directions say just brew it as it is but as @Pickles Jones says extra Malt will give it more body.

Mine was done in the 8.5litre Craft Kit & I could have easily cut THE LDM back to 250ml.  Coopers make both of these so I assume there wouldn't be a lot of difference.

Cheers

Phil

QUOTE:

She’s feisty, this one, but not too bitter. Showcasing vibrant amber hues, velvety smooth caramel malt character, even bitterness and delicate citrus hop aroma, this amber ale epitomizes the characteristics that make this style a microbrewery standard.

9d2be541c4fedb491a6a17c968e04b67c668e40c-500x500.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/2/2021 at 9:14 AM, Mark the sipper said:

Seems like it can’t hurt to mix the 1.5 kg amber malt with the tin. I have both so it’s going in today. It should be around 5% is that right 

Thanks all for replies

The amber malt will just make it a little bit darker.  According to my calculations the predicted OG = 1.043 FG = 1.011 ABV in bottle = 4.6% IBU = 27.1 EBC = 38.9

Don't sit around waiting for it to mature in the bottles MTS, get stuck into making the next brew and the waiting time will fly.  Good luck with your beers.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I not sitting around waiting. Got an Irish stout and a draught close to bottling. Got 3 fv and living the dream. Ive done about 26 brews in past year. Used to go to a craft brewery near me. No more Jose. $85 a slab. I’m new to forum, but have brewed enough to keep me happy last 12 months. Missus is a 4xxxx girl but likes the clone GN crisp I’ve done. 

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Mark the sipper said:

I not sitting around waiting. Got an Irish stout and a draught close to bottling. Got 3 fv and living the dream. Ive done about 26 brews in past year. Used to go to a craft brewery near me. No more Jose. $85 a slab. I’m new to forum, but have brewed enough to keep me happy last 12 months. Missus is a 4xxxx girl but likes the clone GN crisp I’ve done. 

You certainly got that right $85/75/65/55 all too dear for beer especially when you can make it at home for a fraction of that, if you spent $20.00 on ingredients for a basic brew, maybe up to $30.00 for a higher quality you are still getting 2 x Cartons for your investment, not to mention the enjoyment of watching it brew, bottling it & finally drinking it.

Most of us would say we prefer own own brews than the bought stuff.

Cheers & Happy Brewing

Phil

5 minutes ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

You certainly got that right $85/75/65/55 all too dear for beer especially when you can make it at home for a fraction of that, if you spent $20.00 on ingredients for a basic brew, maybe up to $30.00 for a higher quality you are still getting 2 x Cartons for your investment, not to mention the enjoyment of watching it brew, bottling it & finally drinking it.

Most of us would say we prefer own own brews than the bought stuff.

Cheers & Happy Brewing

Phil

The best part is you get to have a few different tastes each time. Last night I had an English bitter , porter, golden crown and finished off with a stout. Would had more but tea was cooked( need to start earlier). 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Mark the sipper said:

The best part is you get to have a few different tastes each time. Last night I had an English bitter , porter, golden crown and finished off with a stout. Would had more but tea was cooked( need to start earlier). 

That's the beauty of having multiple fermenters & have 4, one is a Craft Kit but the others are working pretty much all of the time & I also like to have a range of assorted beers.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Mark the sipper said:

What is the craft kit?  If it’s the 8.5l one, any good. 

It is a smaller Fermenter designed to make 8.5 - 11 litres of beer depending on the recipe, there are 1.3kg cans of extract you can buy from Coopers. Check it out.

There are about 5-6 different brews available.

https://coopers-preprod.coopers.aligent.cloud/coopers-diy-beer-craft-brew-kit.html

Coopers DIY Beer Craft Brew Kit (8.5L)

Edited by Classic Brewing Co

33 minutes ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

It is a smaller Fermenter designed to make 8.5 - 11 litres of beer depending on the recipe, there are 1.3kg cans of extract you can buy from Coopers. Check it out.

There are about 5-6 different brews available.

https://coopers-preprod.coopers.aligent.cloud/coopers-diy-beer-craft-brew-kit.html

Coopers DIY Beer Craft Brew Kit (8.5L)

How good are the tins. I love amber ale. What’s the difference, do you need anything else, do you add malt or sugar?

cheers Mark

Just now, Mark the sipper said:

How good are the tins. I love amber ale. What’s the difference, do you need anything else, do you add malt or sugar?

cheers Mark

Well for a start they are made by Coopers so they are the same fine quality as the larger 1.7kg cans, basically you don't need to add anything apart from the yeast, but I prefer a bot more body & usually add 250-500gm of Liquid Malt Extract or Light Dry Malt ( powder ) & it makes a better beer. The cans are pre-hopped but if you are a hop-freak like me just chuck more in.

The only sugar you would need would be at bottling time or Carb Drops. 

Hope this helpps

Cheers

Phil

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Mark the sipper said:

What Great Northern clone recipe do you do?

3 hours ago, Mark the sipper said:

I did that one.  Tasting notes here.  With the dry enzyme it went from 1.045 to 1.000 even.  It's ABV was 6.3%, including priming sugar.  I think it was much nicer than the commercial Great Northern Super Crisp Lager.

7 hours ago, Mark the sipper said:

Not a good clone then. It’s suppose to be 3.5% , same as the GN super crisp. It’s drank like a mid  strength. 

No, but it made a nice beer.  

The enzyme dropped the Final Gravity real low.  You probably do not really need it. 

Maybe it should be called a Great Northern Original Lager clone.