Coopers Community

Mangrove Jack Tyneside

Panama1986

hi all, i'm new here so hello to all!

i've been tinkering with brewing extract kits and so far ive found that i like the mangrove jack tyneside the best, since my favourite beer is newcastle brown.

i keg 18L batches for my kegerator currently, but have been filling a long neck or two with any extra i have.

essentially i'm chasing advice on what you add to your fermenter to improve this brew kit and steer it closer to newcastle brown, but i'm not ready for steeping etc yet, just looking for throw-in-and-go type recipes.

next batch i will be running 21L, tyneside can, brew enhancer 3, additional 250ml(metric cup) brown sugar.

i see that mangrove jack items arent on the version of the beer extract kit spreadsheet i have (v4.1.6), is there a newer version that has them on it?

cheers,
Jase

28 minutes ago, Panama1986 said:

next batch i will be running 21L, tyneside can, brew enhancer 3, additional 250ml(metric cup) brown sugar.

Use liquid malt extract or dry malt extract instead of the enhancers.

Mangrove Jacks Tyneside Brown 1. 7kg home brew kit is a superb example of a classic Newcastle Brown Ale. A chocolaty rich creamy ale which has a light hop bitterness and smooth well rounded finish. 

Yes, for rich mouthfeel you want all malt

Edited by Green Blob
  • Like 1

Welcome to the forum Jese.

What fermentables are you adding to the kit? Dextrose? BEs? Sugar? 

MJ suggest using dextrose or malt extract, so I'd go for the latter. dextrose makes thin beer, whereas malt extract helps with body. If you're using malt extract, use 20% more in case of DME (1.2kg instead of 1kg dex) and 50% when you use LME. Give that a go. Some beers actually improve when adding brown sugar but I am not a big fan of using sugar in beer. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Panama1986 said:

i see that mangrove jack items arent on the version of the beer extract kit spreadsheet i have (v4.1.6), is there a newer version that has them on it?

Welcome to the forum Jase.

You can add anything you want to the spreadsheet version you have, hops, MJ kits, sugars and stuff like that.  You can build the spreadsheet up into something that works for you with the ingredients you can get and prefer to use.  BUT before you stuff around with it trying to add stuff / edit stuff and numbers etc. please do a copy and paste of the original spreadsheet to some other location on your PC and then re-name that copy with something you will recognize as you backup copy.  Spreadsheetname_backup_copy for example.  That way if you do get into a mess you can always start over by copying the backup file back over the top of your stuffed up working file.  You know the drill I am sure.

I will try and take some screen shots of how to edit or add ingredients and post them up when I get some time.  Cheers - AL

Edited by iBooz2
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Green Blob said:

Use liquid malt extract or dry malt extract instead of the enhancers.

Yes, for rich mouthfeel you want all malt

can you elaborate on that please? youre saying use a liquid malt instead of the brown sugar and brew enhancer 3?

6 hours ago, Aussiekraut said:

Welcome to the forum Jese.

What fermentables are you adding to the kit? Dextrose? BEs? Sugar? 

MJ suggest using dextrose or malt extract, so I'd go for the latter. dextrose makes thin beer, whereas malt extract helps with body. If you're using malt extract, use 20% more in case of DME (1.2kg instead of 1kg dex) and 50% when you use LME. Give that a go. Some beers actually improve when adding brown sugar but I am not a big fan of using sugar in beer. 

thanks mate, coles does a 1kg liquid malt which i could try. much closer than the nearest brew shop...

5 hours ago, iBooz2 said:

Welcome to the forum Jase.

You can add anything you want to the spreadsheet version you have, hops, MJ kits, sugars and stuff like that.  You can build the spreadsheet up into something that works for you with the ingredients you can get and prefer to use.  BUT before you stuff around with it trying to add stuff / edit stuff and numbers etc. please do a copy and paste of the original spreadsheet to some other location on your PC and then re-name that copy with something you will recognize as you backup copy.  Spreadsheetname_backup_copy for example.  That way if you do get into a mess you can always start over by copying the backup file back over the top of your stuffed up working file.  You know the drill I am sure.

I will try and take some screen shots of how to edit or add ingredients and post them up when I get some time.  Cheers - AL

thanks al, doesnt it need other values about the extract for it to work?

and thanks to all for the welcome to the forum 🙂

5 hours ago, Panama1986 said:

can you elaborate on that please? youre saying use a liquid malt instead of the brown sugar and brew enhancer 3?

Yes, absolutely. Beer is Malt, hops, yeast, water.
The other things are simple sugars with ferment out giving alcohol, no flavour and no body - the dextrose anyway, I think the BE3 has something worthwhile in it

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

I'd chuck in a kg of light dry malt and 200-250 grams of raw sugar. I wouldn't be surprised if most of those commercial English beers have a proportion of sugar used in their recipes these days. 

Sugar (in the form of invert sugars such as No. 1,  No. 2 etc depending on colour) have been used in most British bitters since the 1880s and some of the old recipes such as Wells Bombardier contain frightening amounts of it. And they used flaked maize as well. Following WW2 most of the old local maltings shut down and were replaced with big industrial plants such as Crisp, Bairds etc and malt prices fell substantially so the majority of modern UK bitters are all malt as it's cheaper nowadays.

However for a traditional Newcastle Brown Ale attempt I'd definitely put in raw sugar or even half a jar of golden syrup (CSR or Bundaberg).

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Bribie G said:

Sugar (in the form of invert sugars such as No. 1,  No. 2 etc depending on colour) have been used in most British bitters since the 1880s and some of the old recipes such as Wells Bombardier contain frightening amounts of it. And they used flaked maize as well. Following WW2 most of the old local maltings shut down and were replaced with big industrial plants such as Crisp, Bairds etc and malt prices fell substantially so the majority of modern UK bitters are all malt as it's cheaper nowadays.

However for a traditional Newcastle Brown Ale attempt I'd definitely put in raw sugar or even half a jar of golden syrup (CSR or Bundaberg).

how much would you recommend of the golden syrup and do you mean as well as the be3?

12 hours ago, Green Blob said:

Yes, absolutely. Beer is Malt, hops, yeast, water.
The other things are simple sugars with ferment out giving alcohol, no flavour and no body - the dextrose anyway, I think the BE3 has something worthwhile in it

is this something i could use? https://shop.coles.com.au/a/national/product/saunders-malt-extract

10 hours ago, Bribie G said:

I have a few old recipes in my brew queue that require invert sugars such as No.1 and when I did my admittedly very brief investigations decided to make my own No.1.  Reason in the back of my mind was that the commonly available CSR golden syrup had some other additives so was different to the Tate & Lyle's golden syrup, which some say is the best alternative to the real deal No.1.  My local supermarket says they stock the Tate & Lyle's golden syrup but its been out of stock with them for quite a while.  So I looked up how to make my own and purchased the necessary ingredients.  Have not done it to date.

Don't know but the CSR product may not be quite right to use as a substitute for No. 1 invert, just thinking out loud here.  Did not investigate the Bundaberg product so cannot say.  Maybe someone else who has gone further down this road than I and can comment further.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Bribie G said:

And they used flaked maize as well.

Forgot to add a comment about flaked maize.  Have used this now in three batched of Carlsberg Pilsner and it definitely brings something else to the beer.  Was surprised how quickly this Pilsner cleared up and on tasting found it made a very nice crisp and clear lager.  Probably only one word to describe its look, smell and flavour is "perteet".  My wife hates beer and drinks very little of it but she did like the glass of the Carlsberg Pilsner I offered her and she even had another half glass, which sort of said to me she was only making sure what she tasted was actually ok and she did like it. 

Albeit these batches were up around the 5+ % ABV mark they drank like a much lighter beer which could be a trap.  I may up the late hop in future brews as I think this is a very good drinking summer lager and will be using the flaked maize every time I am looking for this quality in a lager or Pilsner.

Edited by iBooz2
  • Like 3

5 hours ago, Spursman said:

Want to get close to Newcastle Brown?

Add the kit to 23 litres of Yarra river water.

From the surface or bottom of the river?

I think the surface is likely thicker. 😄

Edited by Journeyman
  • Haha 1

53 minutes ago, Panama1986 said:

i'm not going anywhere near that covid infested swamp. haha

If you want a true Newcastle Brown then it would have to be Hunter river water of course.😄 Its more brown that the Yarra.

• Haha 1

On 7/29/2021 at 5:16 PM, Panama1986 said:

how much would you recommend of the golden syrup and do you mean as well as the be3?

is this something i could use? https://shop.coles.com.au/a/national/product/saunders-malt-extract

Saunders malt extract is ok for brewing but is more for baking etc. For the golden syrup I'd use about 250g of either CSR or Bundaberg. I've bought Bundaberg in northern NSW, not sure if it makes it down to Victoria. It adds a bit of colour, being darker than Tate and Lyle. Yes in addition to the BE3 if you want something more like VB strength.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bribie G said:

Saunders malt extract is ok for brewing but is more for baking etc. For the golden syrup I'd use about 250g of either CSR or Bundaberg. I've bought Bundaberg in northern NSW, not sure if it makes it down to Victoria. It adds a bit of colour, being darker than Tate and Lyle. Yes in addition to the BE3 if you want something more like VB strength.

What flavours did you find Saunders Malt gave you MR G ?

I used to run a home brew shop back in the late 1970s and in those days before the likes of Coopers kits etc, we sold liquid malt extract from drums - bring your own container. Most of it came from Wander and was very variable in colour and flavour. Saunders was similar.

A typical home brew recipe back then was a tin of Saunders, 1.5 kg of raw sugar, Tandaco bakers yeast and whatever hops you could get your hands on!

The results were usually drinkable, but these malts were made for baking and confectionery and when the early beer cans and LDME came out, those  gave far better results.

Rather than Saunders, that is quite expensive, you'd do far better just sticking with LDME,  particularly Coopers which is made to purpose for brewing.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1