Coopers Community

CO2 who do you purchase your gas off

ozdevil

19 hours ago, Pickles Jones said:

Apparently there is little difference between the Food grade CO2 and Industrial. The medical grade I understand is of a very high standard being free of most impurities.

Also the difference between industrial CO2 and food grade is the make up of the container that they have been stored in. Some are glass lined.  And the lack of impurities such as petroleum contaminates.

When I did my investigation re CO2 a year ago, found that there was 3 grades, namely scientific grade, food grade and industrial grade.  I remember downloading the quality statements by the major supply companies for both food grade and industrial grade CO2 (ignored the scientific grade specs) and found that they were exactly the same standard and specifications for both those gases under test.  Both the food grade and industrial grade were recommended for beverage dispersion and I noted at the time that the industrial grade did not have any items listed in the "not recommended for" columns but it was definitely recommended for the beverage dispersal purpose along with welding etc.  That's why I made the comment that I thought CO2 was CO2 as far as I was concerned.

I think contamination would come down to how it is stored and transferred in when in bulk at the re-fillers site.  Therefore I made the informed judgement that a re-filler like FES here in Bayswater VIC, that has a massive turnover of CO2 in their normal run of fire extinguisher re-charge business would be a fairly safe bet.  You have to do your own research of course and make your own decisions.

Edited by iBooz2

49 minutes ago, Stickers said:

so when the high pressure drops from 550 to 250psi overnight and in to the red zone guessing a) i have a leak and b) there's not long left on this tank or is this a normal thing that happens?

Could be a leak but when the CO2 gets low in the bottle the pressure will drop quite quickly especially if there is a big temperature change overnight, warm to cold or cold to warm will have an effect on the high pressure side gauge.  @Red devil 44 is the expert here so wait for Red to comment but check for leaks with soapy water / spray in the meantime.

How long since the bottle was filled and what size is it?

Edited by iBooz2

Just now, iBooz2 said:

Could be a leak but when the CO2 gets low in the bottle the pressure will drop quite quickly especially if there is a big temperature change overnight, Warm to cold or Cold to warm will have an effect on the high pressure side gauge.  @Red devil 44 is the expert here so wait for Red to comment but check for leaks with soapy water / spray in the meantime.

How long since the bottle was filled and what size is it?

melbourne weather has been a bit over the shop the past few days so i'll cross my fingers. it's a 6.5kg in service for 8 weeks (which seems a little early for a big drop)

1 minute ago, Stickers said:

melbourne weather has been a bit over the shop the past few days so i'll cross my fingers. it's a 6.5kg in service for 8 weeks (which seems a little early for a big drop)

Agreed, Melbourne had a very warm night for a mid winter night as it was about 14.5 C when I checked at 2 am, the warmest capital city in the country last night even warmer than Bris-Vegas ha ha.👍

Agreed x 2  - 8 weeks in too early IMO must be a leak, my 6.5 Kg lasted just on a year and I gave it a hiding.

2 hours ago, iBooz2 said:

I think contamination would come down to how it is stored and transferred in when in bulk at the re-fillers site.  Therefore I made the informed judgement that a re-filler like FES here in Bayswater VIC, that has a massive turnover of CO2 in their normal run of fire extinguisher re-charge business would be a fairly safe bet.  You have to do your own research of course and make your own decisions.

I agree, do your own research then make a decision. 😄

• Like 1

3 hours ago, iBooz2 said:

When I did my investigation re CO2 a year ago, found that there was 3 grades, namely scientific grade, food grade and industrial grade.  I remember downloading the quality statements by the major supply companies for both food grade and industrial grade CO2 (ignored the scientific grade specs) and found that they were exactly the same standard and specifications for both those gases under test.  Both the food grade and industrial grade were recommended for beverage dispersion and I noted at the time that the industrial grade did not have any items listed in the "not recommended for" columns but it was definitely recommended for the beverage dispersal purpose along with welding etc.  That's why I made the comment that I thought CO2 was CO2 as far as I was concerned.

Yeah I reckon that you are correct Al. As far as I can see CO2 is CO2 but the way that it is stored makes the difference in how they describe it - industrial, food grade etc. I am 1/2 way through an industrial grade cylinder and as yet I haven't grown another head or foot so far and the beer is tasting great.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, kmar92 said:

I haven't grown another head or foot so far and the beer is tasting great.

Yes but you have grown one hell of a cute face K.  Sorry... just had ta...😂  My wife just adores animals of all sorts so ya betta watch out.  ha ha.  Oh O! what am I saying?

PS.  She was standing right behind me when I went into your post and she saw your avatar.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Stickers said:

It does seem early mate, they say 50 or so kegs to a 6kg cylinder, did you smash 50 kegs in 8 weeks 🤣🤣

I suspect a leak mate, get your soapy water and glasses & eyeball those fittings closely.

‘If the gauge was down to 550 PSI it is nearly empty mate, temp fluctuations will affect the pressure but that’s on its way to empty.

‘My gauge is down to that so just trying squeeze a few more schooners before she’s dead, lucky I have a spare for such tragedies.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Red devil 44 said:

It does seem early mate, they say 50 or so kegs to a 6kg cylinder, did you smash 50 kegs in 8 weeks 🤣🤣

I suspect a leak mate, get your soapy water and glasses & eyeball those fittings closely.

‘If the gauge was down to 550 PSI it is nearly empty mate, temp fluctuations will affect the pressure but that’s on its way to empty.

‘My gauge is down to that so just trying squeeze a few more schooners before she’s dead, lucky I have a spare for such tragedies.

cheers for that, i know what i'm going to be doing saturday morning. got a new tank ordered for delivery tomorrow but will make sure it's all fixed up before hooking it up. also going to grab some new seals for my kegs when i hit the LHBS tomorrow. learning the hard way sucks.. but sometimes its the best way to learn.

• Like 1

just got my 6.5kg swap dropped off and i reckon this bottle is considerably heavier than my last one. it's like trying to lift a rock. maybe i just had a low bottle first time around. either way, going to spend tomorrow morning checking for leaks and have bought a bunch of new seals and will change one over this weekend.. once i kill it 😄

• 2 weeks later...

Lightning tends to strike when you least expect it. I thought that I had plenty of CO2 in stock, but after fitting my new Micromatic regulator it is showing the tell tale signs of a 6kg bottle that is getting on the lean side as far as gas goes. I do have a spare 2.6kg bottle.

However to fill my 6kg bottle I have to venture far away, well 80km. Living in the Northern Rivers of NSW we have been spared from lockdowns but it seems that some nutter from Sydney has ventured our way (against all the rules) and brought an unwelcome passenger with him - Covid. You have to wonder at the stupidity of some people.

If the lockdown is long it could be a dry argument here.

• Sad 1

7 hours ago, kmar92 said:

Lightning tends to strike when you least expect it. I thought that I had plenty of CO2 in stock, but after fitting my new Micromatic regulator it is showing the tell tale signs of a 6kg bottle that is getting on the lean side as far as gas goes. I do have a spare 2.6kg bottle.

However to fill my 6kg bottle I have to venture far away, well 80km. Living in the Northern Rivers of NSW we have been spared from lockdowns but it seems that some nutter from Sydney has ventured our way (against all the rules) and brought an unwelcome passenger with him - Covid. You have to wonder at the stupidity of some people.

mate i just ordered  a  sodastream bottle   of gasguyz (not sure if they deliver to your area)  but i was impressed  i ordered it around 1pm monday while doing a brew  for  a next day delivery like the site stated,,  got a text to say will deliver in 2 hours .  then i notice my bbq gas bottle needed filling   straight away after i placed order the dude was back with my new gas bottle..

When  my 6kg and 2.6kg bottle get older  they are only just  new    i'll be swapping with these guys

• Like 1

On 8/10/2021 at 9:58 PM, kmar92 said:

Got a fire services place nearby? I've seen a number of people here and other sites say they get a decent price CO2 fill up at such places. Gonna be checking the one here in MB for my next refill.

On 8/11/2021 at 6:12 AM, ozdevil said:

mate i just ordered  a  sodastream bottle   of gasguyz (not sure if they deliver to your area)  but i was impressed  i ordered it around 1pm monday while doing a brew  for  a next day delivery like the site stated,,  got a text to say will deliver in 2 hours .  then i notice my bbq gas bottle needed filling   straight away after i placed order the dude was back with my new gas bottle..

When  my 6kg and 2.6kg bottle get older  they are only just  new    i'll be swapping with these guys

Thanks for that, I did check and Gas Guyz do not deliver to my area.

18 minutes ago, kmar92 said:

Thanks for that, I did check and Gas Guyz do not deliver to my area.

bugga..

to be honest i didnt think  these guys did but they do  but mind you  the driver lives in my area..

• Like 1