Coopers Community

Travel Thread

ben 10

3 minutes ago, Back Brewing said:

Pffffft that's nothing mate my grandkids feed kookaburras by hand and pat them we have a father mother and their young one I'm nearly succeeding in getting one on my shoulder now that will be an achievement 

Yep, we have pet Kookas too, a few generations of them but I left the feeding of them to my elderly neighbour as he really enjoyed that. We have had enough on our food bill, hand tame white backed magpies and butcher birds to feed, several generations in fact since we have been in this house.  My wife buys several trays of Woolies minced beef a week just for the birds.  It's a wonder they are all not mooing.

Sadly, last year my neighbour died so now the kookas swoop down from the neighbouring gum trees and glide just above fence height and try to land on me.  Nealy lost an eye one day when I did not see one coming at full speed and so I could not prepare myself. 

Even though I was shocked at the sudden appearance of a fast-moving kooka on my shoulder it held firm and stubbornly refused to leave until it got what it was looking for, a tub of Woolies minced beef.  They line up on our fence, mum, dad and all the kids and take their turns at a free feed.

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, Triple B Brewing said:

Yep, this is the exact reason we are told not to feed our native animals - It is just not good for them, or us.

My Father in law feeds the local ravens. - he can't help himself. Their carport is full of bird poo and they have had to install a shade cloth sail over their vehicles to stop the poop on them 🤦‍♂️

I can relate to that.  When we travel my wife buys bags of seeds for the local birdlife.  When we come back to the caravan it is overrun with corella's, top-knot pigeons etc. and they sheet everywhere while waiting for an easy feed.

When we camped out on Bunda cliffs just near Eucla recently and those ravens moved in. We could see that they were hot and thirsty, so my wife got one of those plastic takeaway tubs and filled it with fresh water for them.  First raven to come and have a big drink then picked up the tub a flew away out down near the cliffs, spilling the lot.  So, I said to my wife you need to climb down there, carefully and get your rubbish.  But just before she got to it that same raven picked it up again and flew nearly all the way back with it, dropping it a short walk from me, the cheeky bugger.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

23 minutes ago, Back Brewing said:

Up on the river they are everywhere the bloody mongrels but they don't like noise all you have to do is slap 2 thongs together and they hate it but it moves them on

I cannot afford to own two thongs.

A guy said to me once when he noticed I was only wearing one thong, "you lost a thong hey"?  I said narh, found one. 🥁

• Haha 3

4 minutes ago, iBooz2 said:

I cannot afford to own two thongs.

A guy said to me once when he noticed I was only wearing one thong, "you lost a thong hey"?  I said narh, found one. 🥁

My mum had a leg amputated and I said that buggers up my Christmas present I was going to buy you a pair of thongs she called me a bloody idiot 🤣🤣

• Haha 2

9 hours ago, Triple B Brewing said:

Yep, this is the exact reason we are told not to feed our native animals - It is just not good for them, or us.

I agree, we get lots of different types of birds down the bay as we have the sea one side & the Patawalonga River the other.

I can see my house in this pic in the RH section one street back from the ocean.

Doves, Magpies, Swallows, Minors, New Holland Honeyeaters, Willie Wagtails, Rosellas, Ducks & more are the types of birds that are constantly visiting the area & I have a couple of bird baths out the front & they hang around all day.

I chuck out a wild bird seed mix occasionally & they love it, especially the spent grain from brewing.

The only downside is a lady a few doors down chucks bread out which is bad for them & encourages pigeons which are annoying.

Pat.jpg

• Like 4

15 hours ago, iBooz2 said:

Now young @Tricky Micky please take it from an old Yellow Belly Master and master of the Murray.

You need to fish in amongst the snags.  A single hook paternoster rig with a 3/0 KL circle hook.  Use fresh caught and live river shrimp using two shrimp on the hook and hook them just through the top of the tails - but back-to-back so they kick off each other and flick against each other therefore creating movement.  Allow your sinker to sit on the bottom and don't move it but just tug the line enough to keep the shrimp moving in the water.  Tug the line until you can feel the sinker then relax it, just that 50 mm or so.  BANG - Gotcha !

Also, it looks like you are fishing on the sandbar side of the river.  That area is only good very late at night and just prior to dawn.  For daylight fishing get on the steep banks just downstream from a bunch of snags.  If you are not getting you lines snagged up often then you are not close enough to the snags, so be prepared to tie on lots of new bottoms and hooks.  Yellow belly like to pick shrimp off the snags and weeds like nibbling corn off a cob.

I would have used that sand bar location for caching shrimp during most of the night (with appropriate shrimp traps/nets near weed) and then kept them either alive and fresh or if that is not possible then frozen for use the next day over near the snags.

You can thank me later....

Cheers Al @iBooz2, many thanks mate. Unfortunately my lower back issue doesn't allow for getting down those steep bank options anymore. We fished mostly early morning and late afternoon / evening on the sand bar and tried to get the line in among some dead wood when we could. I was using the paternoster rig but thanks for the heads up re; tugging the line. Haven't used river shrimp before - was using yabbies. 

When you say "Tug the line until you can feel the sinker then relax it, just that 50 mm or so.  BANG - Gotcha !"  

You're talking about gently jagging/bobbing the sinker off the bottom about 50mm - Yes?

Don't worry Al, I was getting snagged often enough almost every cast 😂 Again thanks for your advice mate - much appreciated.

Edited by Tricky Micky
  • Like 1

Well it was my wife’s birthday last week and I was away working, but presented her a late birthday present when I got home. 

I bought her a return plane ticket to the UK as she has always wanted to see Buckingham Palace etc, I will be staying behind and working but she will travel with her friend. 
To say she was absolutely stoked is an understatement, well I’m in the good books for a while I guess 🤣🤣

• Like 6
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Red devil 44 said:

Well it was my wife’s birthday last week and I was away working, but presented her a late birthday present when I got home. 

I bought her a return plane ticket to the UK as she has always wanted to see Buckingham Palace etc, I will be staying behind and working but she will travel with her friend. 
To say she was absolutely stoked is an understatement, well I’m in the good books for a while I guess 🤣🤣

Onya RD, there's a few brownie points for you. 🛩️

• Like 1

well day 2 started with drama after our nights accomadation at the Park Royal at tullamarine airport

we was up and ready by 5.am  i said to the good cheese have we got everything 

she said yes  and i had a check over and said we good to go over to the airport and grab breaky   

drama 1 get to the screens  for bag tags    all goes well   then to  bag drop   and i scan the ticket  bag  heads off only to reappear 
the good wife didnt read the instructions and we had the wrong suit case   to the name on the ticket   and the  mrs ozd says we checking in one bag  
.  sorry 
then we choose the correct option  only one named checked whats going on here   the chap from virgin says its asking for the other ticket   ..

finally bags are checked in  and off to the security gates

drama 2 several gits decided to have a go at me becuase i told them to get of there bloody phone  and concentrate on walking  rather then being a nuisance  ,  i person didnt listen to me and then abused me for walking over the top of him .  i said i warned you  to get of ya phone ya didnt listen and thats the consequence of not concentrating where ya going .  sorry i dont accept people walking along  talking into mobile and causing issues in holding others up      . either pull over oout of the way of people  or hang up  easy choice 

any get aover that and as we was having breaky i said did you get my medication out of the mini bar this morning . she said nope and i said i fogot all about myself ,  so its now 5:30am  and i said i am still eating and your finished you ha=ead back to the hotel and see if they can let you  grab the medication..    i said i would make my way to the lounge where we was to board  .. she sprints back and i thought well i wont make her suffer coming through security again  so i met her out side and came through the security again with her   thankfully  able to get the medication as its not cheap at $160 a month

then we got on the plain the people on the plain was quite as a church mouse except on passenger  the blooke had the most girlist luagh even a hyeanas luach was better   the dude did not stop laughing the entire flight .  i felt like getting up and knocking him out .

then things improved once got of the plane .  the  walk to baggage claim was painless and our 2 suitcases was 1st on the  turnstyle .
wandered to the train platform  and only waited a minute for a train  in to sydney cbd   and was painless we made it to circular quay and got off there   .  well  later in the day i found that a huge mistake should have gotton off at wynard station lol  but oh  well we walked to the hotel we was staying at check in wasnt till 2 .  they said we could leave our bags at the concierge .  any we still went to reception desk .   filled out paperwork   and they said you have to wait   but for an extra 50 we will upgrade you to a mini suite then just a  normal room and ya can check in now and we see ya back with us next friday and we will give ya early check in then .

anyway  dumped the luggage in our massive room   and decide to take the ferry to manly   being a nice day and all   ,  by now feeling a bit peckish the next minute mrs ozd scruff me by the ears dragging me across the road into 4 pines brewery taproom   , i did say  no but she had no bar of that and we sat there looking at the world go by 

after a few ours exploring manly and walking past several pubs we decide time for a spell and came back to hotel had a swim  and a spa and freshened up and then walked  basicly the cbd perrimeter     and now back in our rooms watching afl footy as we are buggered from walking  all day.

not sure what to make of sydney cbd   but love the harbour loved manly might head out to bondi tommorow before we catch up with our cruise buddies.   then monday    we then head to white bay to get our cruise underway.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Red devil 44 said:

Yes @Red devil 44 I reckon you have got enough brownie points now to last you the rest of your life, particularly when you let your wife go overseas with her boyfriend and all.  Geez, what a birthday present. 🤣 😇 😂 😍

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Tricky Micky said:

Cheers Al @iBooz2, many thanks mate. Unfortunately my lower back issue doesn't allow for getting down those steep bank options anymore. We fished mostly early morning and late afternoon / evening on the sand bar and tried to get the line in among some dead wood when we could. I was using the paternoster rig but thanks for the heads up re; tugging the line. Haven't used river shrimp before - was using yabbies. 

When you say "Tug the line until you can feel the sinker then relax it, just that 50 mm or so.  BANG - Gotcha !"  

You're talking about gently jagging/bobbing the sinker off the bottom about 50mm - Yes?

Don't worry Al, I was getting snagged often enough almost every cast 😂 Again thanks for your advice mate - much appreciated.

@Tricky Micky , yep, very small yabbies will work as well.  It's just that they are a lot more expensive that free, fresh caught river shrimp.

You can only really bob properly from a boat but that is not what I am talking about.  When you are bank fishing, NO do not lift or move your sinker, leave it connected to the bottom at all times.  just tug the line until you can feel the sinker still on the bottom.  Then relax the line just ever so slightly and repeat.  What this does is make the paternoster hook with its bait move or flick in the water column and the fish will sense that movement and home in on it.   Remember they probably cannot see too far down there and they need some movement and smell to get them closer.

Now about your back.  Sorry to hear.  Hmm, too many dirty weekends away?  Not enough practice?  Wrong angle of attack?  Just kidding ya bloke ! 😁 😉  Enjoy the fishing, I am as jealous as hell.

Edited by iBooz2
  • Haha 1

29 minutes ago, ozdevil said:

the next minute mrs ozd scruff me by the ears dragging me across the road into 4 pines brewery taproom   , i did say  no but she had no bar of that

@ozdevil I can sense a "special cuddle" coming up for you tonight, you son of a gun.😉

• Haha 3

12 hours ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

I agree, we get lots of different types of birds down the bay as we have the sea one side & the Patawalonga River the other.

I can see my house in this pic in the RH section one street back from the ocean.

Doves, Magpies, Swallows, Minors, New Holland Honeyeaters, Willie Wagtails, Rosellas, Ducks & more are the types of birds that are constantly visiting the area & I have a couple of bird baths out the front & they hang around all day.

I chuck out a wild bird seed mix occasionally & they love it, especially the spent grain from brewing.

The only downside is a lady a few doors down chucks bread out which is bad for them & encourages pigeons which are annoying.

Pat.jpg

That shot does not quite take in your digs there Phil, its well below the window frame RH corner IMO.

Edited by iBooz2
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Tricky Micky said:

A few more fishing pics and a little BBQ action.

Awesome pics - the lot. I liked the shots of Maldon, used to mountain bike on Mt Tarrengower back in the olden days

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

Have you been there ??

Yep, did a drive by one day but the bar was closed so kept cruising.  I think I told you about that ages ago.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, ben 10 said:

Awesome pics - the lot. I liked the shots of Maldon, used to mountain bike on Mt Tarrengower back in the olden days

I used to work near there and actually got a snap of you one olden day, long ago.

Fred Flintstone Bicycle.PNG

Edited by iBooz2
  • Haha 2

6 hours ago, Red devil 44 said:

Well played RD, deftly executed and well thought through. You should be right for at least another year. 🤣 Safe travels to the Bride mate.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, iBooz2 said:

Yes @Red devil 44 I reckon you have got enough brownie points now to last you the rest of your life, particularly when you let your wife go overseas with her boyfriend and all.  Geez, what a birthday present. 🤣 😇 😂 😍

@iBooz2, yeah no boyfriends mate, just her best friend (who is female and married) 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, ozdevil said:

well day 2 started with drama after our nights accomadation at the Park Royal at tullamarine airport

we was up and ready by 5.am  i said to the good cheese have we got everything 

she said yes  and i had a check over and said we good to go over to the airport and grab breaky   

drama 1 get to the screens  for bag tags    all goes well   then to  bag drop   and i scan the ticket  bag  heads off only to reappear 
the good wife didnt read the instructions and we had the wrong suit case   to the name on the ticket   and the  mrs ozd says we checking in one bag  
.  sorry 
then we choose the correct option  only one named checked whats going on here   the chap from virgin says its asking for the other ticket   ..

finally bags are checked in  and off to the security gates

drama 2 several gits decided to have a go at me becuase i told them to get of there bloody phone  and concentrate on walking  rather then being a nuisance  ,  i person didnt listen to me and then abused me for walking over the top of him .  i said i warned you  to get of ya phone ya didnt listen and thats the consequence of not concentrating where ya going .  sorry i dont accept people walking along  talking into mobile and causing issues in holding others up      . either pull over oout of the way of people  or hang up  easy choice 

any get aover that and as we was having breaky i said did you get my medication out of the mini bar this morning . she said nope and i said i fogot all about myself ,  so its now 5:30am  and i said i am still eating and your finished you ha=ead back to the hotel and see if they can let you  grab the medication..    i said i would make my way to the lounge where we was to board  .. she sprints back and i thought well i wont make her suffer coming through security again  so i met her out side and came through the security again with her   thankfully  able to get the medication as its not cheap at $160 a month

then we got on the plain the people on the plain was quite as a church mouse except on passenger  the blooke had the most girlist luagh even a hyeanas luach was better   the dude did not stop laughing the entire flight .  i felt like getting up and knocking him out .

then things improved once got of the plane .  the  walk to baggage claim was painless and our 2 suitcases was 1st on the  turnstyle .
wandered to the train platform  and only waited a minute for a train  in to sydney cbd   and was painless we made it to circular quay and got off there   .  well  later in the day i found that a huge mistake should have gotton off at wynard station lol  but oh  well we walked to the hotel we was staying at check in wasnt till 2 .  they said we could leave our bags at the concierge .  any we still went to reception desk .   filled out paperwork   and they said you have to wait   but for an extra 50 we will upgrade you to a mini suite then just a  normal room and ya can check in now and we see ya back with us next friday and we will give ya early check in then .

anyway  dumped the luggage in our massive room   and decide to take the ferry to manly   being a nice day and all   ,  by now feeling a bit peckish the next minute mrs ozd scruff me by the ears dragging me across the road into 4 pines brewery taproom   , i did say  no but she had no bar of that and we sat there looking at the world go by 

after a few ours exploring manly and walking past several pubs we decide time for a spell and came back to hotel had a swim  and a spa and freshened up and then walked  basicly the cbd perrimeter     and now back in our rooms watching afl footy as we are buggered from walking  all day.

not sure what to make of sydney cbd   but love the harbour loved manly might head out to bondi tommorow before we catch up with our cruise buddies.   then monday    we then head to white bay to get our cruise underway.

4Pines is a good place to start. For my 50th, SWMBO took me to Sydney for a day trip and 4Pines was the palce to start 🙂 Sydney is an odd place. It is a must-visit, with the Opera House, the Quay, Manly and the Rocks and any tourist claiming they were in Australia after spending 2 weeks in Cairns without at least seeing Sydney has no clue. But it is all too busy for my liking. You try window shopping on top of George St. and before you know it, the crowd has dragged you all the way down to the quay. Too hectic for my liking. I grew up in a small town of about 5,000 people. The only reason I can survive Brisbane is because it is just as busy as said 5,000 people town 🙂 

But there are or at least were at my last visit on said 50th, a few really good places around The Rocks and even further over to Darling Harbour. A lot of overpriced places too though. Don't worry about the Cross unless you go clubbing. I didn't even get hit up to buy drugs 🙂 

If you want to visit a place with some great breweries for the missus to drag you to by the ears, and a lot less hassle, come to Brissy 🙂 

Edited by Aussiekraut
  • Like 4