Coopers Community

Travel Thread

ben 10

Road trip! Great Ocean road. First stop Apollo Bay. Heading toward Port Fairy, and then inland over the next few days.

Apollo Bay Hotel, great meal, and Coopers pale on tap. Bonus!

Bit of salt n pepper squid for SWMBO and the stock standard pub fare -a parma or if ya don't live in Mexico - a parmi

Shared a plate of Oysters natural - went okay.

IMG_7743.jpg

IMG_7745.jpg

IMG_7740.jpg

IMG_7739.jpg

IMG_7744.jpg

IMG_7738.jpg

• Like 16

37 minutes ago, Tricky Micky said:

Road trip! Great Ocean road. First stop Apollo Bay. Heading toward Port Fairy, and then inland over the next few days.

Apollo Bay Hotel, great meal, and Coopers pale on tap. Bonus!

Bit of salt n pepper squid for SWMBO and the stock standard pub fare -a parma or if ya don't live in Mexico - a parmi

Shared a plate of Oysters natural - went okay.

IMG_7743.jpg

IMG_7745.jpg

IMG_7740.jpg

IMG_7739.jpg

IMG_7744.jpg

IMG_7738.jpg

Good one Mick, looks good, last time I did the Great Ocean Road I stayed in Apollo Bay & visited the pub many times, I used it for a base & travelled inland & covered most of the smaller towns in day trips.

I did that when I was in Warrnambool which I also like as well as some of the bigger towns inland like Colac.

It's a great drive all through that area to Geelong.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Tricky Micky said:

Good on ya @Tricky Micky Mick & Tan - enjoy.  When you get to Port Fairy go down to the waterfront, there is a guy there that sells fresh caught Southern Rock Lobster from the back of his boat.  You can pick out your lobster, he will give you the cost then boil it up right then and there for you.  To die for, so fresh.

Also make sure you call into Koroit as it's a nice little Irish town and has a few good watering holes there, Irish pub etc. plus a craft beer joint called Noodledoof Brewing.

Edited by iBooz2
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Tricky Micky said:

Don't know about the Brides steak, but mine was definitely still mooing.😂

A steak that is still mooing  is only good for the paddock 
A steak that isnt mooing is only good for the stomach

if my steak is not well done and i see  blue or red   its taking a trip back to the kitchen

a chef came to me and said i offended her by saying its not cooked how i like it 

i told here is she the one paying for the steak and eat it

her answer  was no

i proceeded to say well  chef you are offending me by not cooking my steak to how i like it 

She apologised and went back and cooked me a fresh dead steak  and told me on the house  when she returned with the steak.

disclaimer there was no agro  or saying the chef cant cook  as she was a ripper chef 

but each to their own  how they enjoy there steak    , i just like mine dead with a bit of charcoal showing

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

6 minutes ago, ozdevil said:

A steak that is still mooing  is only good for the paddock 
A steak that isnt mooing is only good for the stomach

if my steak is not well done and i see  blue or red   its taking a trip back to the kitchen

a chef came to me and said i offended her by saying its not cooked how i like it 

i told here is she the one paying for the steak and eat it

her answer  was no

i proceeded to say well  chef you are offending me by not cooking my steak to how i like it 

She apologised and went back and cooked me a fresh dead steak  and told me on the house  when she returned with the steak.

disclaimer there was no agro  or saying the chef cant cook  as she was a ripper chef 

but each to their own  how they enjoy there steak    , i just like mine dead with a bit of charcoal showing

I agree Ozzy, raw steak is for dogs or magpies, us real men want a char & taste the grill not have something floating in a pile of cold myoglobin.

If the temperature is not up to the standard meat requirements it's not even good for you,  but as you say, each to their own.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Be very careful @ozdevil , I have heard rumours from chefs and their staff that they spit on any food sent back to the kitchen under a complaint that they think is un-warranted.  Don't know how true it is but (pardon the pun) food for thought.   😲 🤬

Edited by iBooz2
  • Haha 4

20 minutes ago, iBooz2 said:

Be very careful @ozdevil , I have heard rumours from chefs and their staff that they spit on any food sent back to the kitchen under a complaint that they think is un-warranted.  Don't know how true it is but (pardon the pun) food for thought.   😲 🤬

The SPIT add flavour  🤣

they should be cooking to customer satisfaction  and not their own taste buds lol

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, ozdevil said:

The SPIT add flavour  🤣

they should be cooking to customer satisfaction  and not their own taste buds lol

Yeah but, you do not want to be tasting their taste buds, bud!  😵‍💫

Edited by iBooz2
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, Tricky Micky said:

Had a little stop at Cairn Curran reservoir  - nothing on the bite unfortunately.

IMG_7871.jpg

IMG_7869.jpg

IMG_7870.jpg

Looks nice & peaceful Mick, bad luck about the fish, I have travelled near there when I was in the Maryborough/Castlemaine area years ago. I remember Maldon which is a historic mining town & Australia's first notable town.

Edited by Classic Brewing Co
  • Like 3

On 2/21/2024 at 8:54 AM, Tricky Micky said:

Had a little stop at Cairn Curran reservoir  - nothing on the bite unfortunately.

@Tricky Micky, what a pity nothing going.  Brought back memories as I learnt to fly fish in the Loddon, Joyces Creek and the reservoir there, way back when I worked at Newstead.

If I had of know you were looping back around through that way, I would have recommended Lake Lonsdale which is just west of Stawell.  Legend has it that Lake Lonsdale is so full and overloaded with Redfin you only have to put an Esky on the bank with the lid open and they leap right into it.  Honest!

Edited by iBooz2
  • Haha 4

32 minutes ago, iBooz2 said:

@Tricky Micky, what a pity nothing going.  Brought back memories as I learnt to fly fish in the Loddon, Joyces Creek and the reservoir there, way back when I worked at Newstead.

If I had of know you were looping back around through that way, I would have recommended Lake Lonsdale which is just west of Stawell.  Legend has it that Lake Lonsdale is so full and overloaded with Redfin you only have to put an Esky on the bank with the lid open and they leap right into it.  Honest!

Cheers Al, @iBooz2, Ya now know where I'll be on my next days off. 😂 Thanks for the heads up mate, much appreciated.

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Tricky Micky said:

Next stop - Maldon Victoria. Stayed at the Maldon Pub - Steak n beer - perfect combo. View was okay too.

IMG_7883.jpg

IMG_7880.jpg

IMG_7878.jpg

IMG_7876.jpg

I love that town, very quaint, it takes you back in time, I supply him with Stubby Holders.

Sounds like you are having a great trip Mick.

image.thumb.jpeg.5118b7bfb1c1d23ebd245ef3191c952b.jpeg

• Like 4

Final destination was a little place called Thornton. Had a cheeky little 2 night stay here and maybe even indulged in a cuppla sneaky cheeky ambers too. 😆

IMG_7892.jpg

Edited by Tricky Micky
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

A quick trip away recently to regional Victoria. Starting with Halls Gap and the Grampians.

First stop, the Halls Gap hotel. SWMBO and I shared the salmon gravlax followed by the scotch fillet. Really good pub grub imho.

429907866_942193873753675_324154282926718609_n.jpg

431631245_776221884058858_1794166372466221991_n.jpg

423944209_1105723007404971_4277614647267068935_n.jpg

423766591_1924978844583936_6971031924566796097_n.jpg

• Like 8

This ones for @iBooz2, Al, - stopped at lake Lonsdale to see what the fishing might be like after Boozer suggested I should pay a visit.

Sadly the day we were here, the temperature in the shade was 42 degrees C - bit warm to chuck a line in - just sayin'

I shall return! 🎣

432480251_993342282401459_9045605127240364970_n.jpg

430012254_1499408480643340_8701047309696396160_n.jpg

423904060_345532857873431_709527958371596692_n.jpg

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Tricky Micky said:

This ones for @iBooz2, Al, - stopped at lake Lonsdale to see what the fishing might be like after Boozer suggested I should pay a visit.

Sadly the day we were here, the temperature in the shade was 42 degrees C - bit warm to chuck a line in - just sayin'

I shall return! 🎣

Arh Hem !  What's this, NO Esky sitting on the bank.   The Reddies would have swum straight past you looking for their way out.

And ya damn sook, 42 C in the shade, come on.  It's not hot until it hits 46 C and then when it does, you go yabbying. 🥵

Let me know when you are going there next, and I will tag along, bring one of my boats and we will give em a flogging'.

• Like 3
  • Haha 3