Coopers Community

Beer O'Clock Session IPA

Good evening Brewers,  

I've currently got my Beer O'Clock IPA in the fermenter. Coming up to day 7. The recipe doesn't ask for it but has anyone dry hopped this recipe? The only thing I've done is swapped out the 25g bravo hops for 25g of Columbus. So 25g of Columbus, Nelson and Galaxy hops in the boil and was thinking of throwing in 25g of each as a dry hop edition.

I bought 50g bags of each so may as well just throw the rest in I thought. I'm bit of a hop head lol. Any advice is greatly appreciated 

11 hours ago, Smitty180 said:

Good evening Brewers,  

I've currently got my Beer O'Clock IPA in the fermenter. Coming up to day 7. The recipe doesn't ask for it but has anyone dry hopped this recipe? The only thing I've done is swapped out the 25g bravo hops for 25g of Columbus. So 25g of Columbus, Nelson and Galaxy hops in the boil and was thinking of throwing in 25g of each as a dry hop edition.

I bought 50g bags of each so may as well just throw the rest in I thought. I'm bit of a hop head lol. Any advice is greatly appreciated 

Dry hopping that brew sounds a great idea.  Go for it.  Chuck the lot in.  Yee-har!

• Like 1

DRY HOPPING   x2^%$*&  !!! 😬🥵

I just bottled my Coopers Draught, it took ages as the Bottling wand kept clogging up with Hops that I chucked in the FV.   NEVER AGAIN - I will try other methods but not this one.

It was a pain in the butt, I had to rinse out the wand several times. I might have to try the @Journeyman method or buy a hop thingy. Anyway it smelt nice POR hops all through the kitchen.

Anyway Cheers.

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, CLASSIC said:

I just bottled my Coopers Draught, it took ages as the Bottling wand kept clogging up with Hops that I chucked in the FV.   NEVER AGAIN - I will try other methods but not this one.

It was a pain in the butt, I had to rinse out the wand several times. I might have to try the @Journeyman method or buy a hop thingy. Anyway it smelt nice POR hops all through the kitchen.

Anyway Cheers.

You need to grab one of these mate. They go well. I've dry hopped a few beers before with this guy and never had any dramas. I also cold crash for 2 days

On a side note though I've just done a gravity reading and a taste and it's extremely bitter. I'm about 2 points away from my target gravity and just upped the temp to 20°. I'm hoping it mellows 

20210513_192729.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Smitty180 said:

You need to grab one of these mate. They go well. I've dry hopped a few beers before with this guy and never had any dramas. I also cold crash for 2 days

On a side note though I've just done a gravity reading and a taste and it's extremely bitter. I'm about 2 points away from my target gravity and just upped the temp to 20°. I'm hoping it mellows 

20210513_192729.jpg

Well I will be definitely getting something soon, not going through that again, Cheers.

• Like 1

On 5/13/2021 at 5:21 PM, CLASSIC said:

Anyway Cheers.

I use small hop bags for it. I can re-use them many times before they go festy enough to be chucked out. Or as suggested, wrap them in a Chux cloth. 

8 minutes ago, Aussiekraut said:

I use small hop bags for it. I can re-use them many times before they go festy enough to be chucked out. Or as suggested, wrap them in a Chux cloth. 

Hi @Aussiekraut I have been using the infusion method for ages & had no problems at all, in fact I thought it introduced great hop flavours. 

I am aware of the hop bags & I have ordered a Hop Bomb 60-70mm Stainless Steel with a chain.

I also have a length of nylon mesh which I will be using for grain steeping/additions & dry hops.

I have spoken to a few that say they prefer to just chuck them in, well I strongly advise against it.

Cheers.

20 minutes ago, CLASSIC said:

Hi @Aussiekraut I have been using the infusion method for ages & had no problems at all, in fact I thought it introduced great hop flavours. 

I am aware of the hop bags & I have ordered a Hop Bomb 60-70mm Stainless Steel with a chain.

I also have a length of nylon mesh which I will be using for grain steeping/additions & dry hops.

I have spoken to a few that say they prefer to just chuck them in, well I strongly advise against it.

Cheers.

I've never been a fan of commando hopping. Too messy and when you get little hop particles into your bottles, you get some nice gushers 🙂 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Aussiekraut said:

I've never been a fan of commando hopping. Too messy and when you get little hop particles into your bottles, you get some nice gushers 🙂 

I supposed I have got that to look forward to, my biggest trouble was the bottling wand slowing down & clogging up, I had to interrupt the process & run it under the hot water tap to clear several times. We learn by our mistakes I suppose.