Coopers Community

Prescription pills

Hi there,

has anybody made this coopers recipe? 

its made to 8.5 ltr.

is it any good?

would you recommend it.

could you double the recipe, if so would you have to double the yeast?

and has anybody doubled the recipe? 

Hi @Zelly  When you say double I assume you mean in a Fermenter big enough ( 23litres ) to do so, then you would double the yeast.

If you are using a Mr Beer style fermenter you could take it up to 11litres ( I have done this but you need to add extra adjuncts such as Brew Enhancer, Liquid or Dried Malt et. )

Others may have different views, but I have never tried it so I cannot comment on the beerr.

Cheers.

Prescription Pils.html

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, CLASSIC said:

Maybe @Shamus O'Sean  has a PDF of this recipe the HTML file didn't load proberly.

Here 'tis @Zelly 

Prescription Pils.pdf

Doubling the ingredients is an expensive way to make a double batch of this brew. 10 x Mr Beer Unhopped Pale Malt Extracts is $30.50 and this is for a 17 litre batch.  Instead, you could think about using 2 x 1.5 litre cans of Coopers Light Malt Extract ($21.60) in a 20 litres batch.  A difference is that you will need 75g of Hallertauer in your 30 minute boil.  This will give you a similar ABV, IBU and EBC as the original recipe attached.

6 minutes ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

Here 'tis @Zelly 

Prescription Pils.pdf 314.67 kB · 1 download

Doubling the ingredients is an expensive way to make a double batch of this brew. 10 x Mr Beer Unhopped Pale Malt Extracts is $30.50 and this is for a 17 litre batch.  Instead, you could think about using 2 x 1.5 litre cans of Coopers Light Malt Extract ($21.60) in a 20 litres batch.  A difference is that you will need 75g of Hallertauer in your 30 minute boil.  This will give you a similar ABV, IBU and EBC as the original recipe attached.

Love your work Shamus.

• Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

Here 'tis @Zelly 

Prescription Pils.pdf 314.67 kB · 1 download

thanks for that.

what if I used LDME as I have 20kg bag and stuck to the original recipe.

how much LDME would I use to get the same beer? 

1 hour ago, Zelly said:

thanks for that.

what if I used LDME as I have 20kg bag and stuck to the original recipe.

how much LDME would I use to get the same beer? 

2.4kg.  The beer might be a bit one dimensional.  I would like to hear how is goes, if you end up doing it.

You could add a steep of some Crystal Malt for a bit more complexity, or not.

17 minutes ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

2.4kg.  The beer might be a bit one dimensional.  I would like to hear how is goes, if you end up doing it.

what do you mean by a bit one dimensional? 

24 minutes ago, Zelly said:

what do you mean by a bit one dimensional? 

Hi Zelly,  Light Dry Malt and Liquid Malt Extract for that matter are made from a single malt.  No sure if they are made from Pilsner or Pale Malt.  Being a single malt is what I mean by one dimensional.

Not that there is anything wrong with that.  I have made a couple of single malt all grain beers.  A single Pilsner and a Single Vienna Malt.  These also only had one hop type, coincidently Hallertauer.

I will be interested to read what you think of your finished beer.  The recipe Nelson's Light is similar to what you have in mind.  It is done with 1.5kg of Light Dry Malt, some Crystal Malt and Centennial and Nelson Sauvin hops.  It is only 2.9% ABV and done to 22 litres.  I remember reading a post-er from a while back @Beerlust describing it as a surprisingly nice beer for a light.

10 hours ago, jamiek86 said:

@Shamus O'Sean anyone else pick up on recepie and think strange describes stirring in light crystal malt after talking about boiling hops and not mentioned a 30 min steep at certain temp?

Now you mention it, I looked closer at the Nelson's Light recipe.  It is a different order to the more recent recipes.  However, the Light Crystal Malt still gets it's steep:

• Stir in cracked Light Crystal Malt (put the Light Crystal Malt in a plastic zip-lock sandwich bag and crack them with a rolling pin).
  • Add 20g of Nelson Sauvin Hops, cover and remove from heat to let sit for 30mins.

But what worries me is that the grain steep is not boiled.

Here's what I would do instead:

• Put 2 litres of water in a large pot and heat to 70°C
  • Put the Light Crystal Malt in a plastic zip-lock sandwich bag and crack them with a rolling pin
  • Line the pot with a large Chux cloth
  • Pour the cracked Light Crystal Malt into the middle of the cloth, stirring as you go to avoid air bubbles
  • Gather up the edges of the cloth and enclose the grain like a giant tea bag
  • Leave to steep for 30 minutes
  • Remove the cloth "tea bag" from the water and allow to drain
  • Stir in 300g of Light Dry Malt to the wort in the pot and top it up to 5 litres
  • Add 25g Centennial Hops and boil for 30 minutes
  • THEN CONTINUE ON FROM STEP 4 - The Nelson Sauvin steep
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

Hey there Shamus.

would that be 2.5kg of LDM to 8.5 litres or 20 litres? 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Zelly said:

Hey there Shamus.

would that be 2.5kg of LDM to 8.5 litres or 20 litres? 

Hi Zelly, That is 2.5kg of LDM to the 20 litre batch.  2.5kg LDM = 3.0kg LME

If you want to go back to the 8.5 litre batch, which had 1.25kg of LME in it (5 packs of 250g), the direct conversion is to 1.040kg of LDM.

@Shamus O'Sean I noticed coopers has its couple of wierd written recepies like they have streered away from cut and pasting the standard info they would normally do. But then it did get me thinking was it right and was there a reason for it. In this case I.think your right I would do it as you suggested.

Edited by jamiek86

8 hours ago, jamiek86 said:

@Shamus O'Sean I noticed coopers has its couple of wierd written recepies like they have streered away from cut and pasting the standard info they would normally do. But then it did get me thinking was it right and was there a reason for it. In this case I.think your right I would do it as you suggested.

Maybe they let the work experience kid write it.

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/10/2021 at 11:35 AM, Shamus O'Sean said:

Hi Zelly, That is 2.5kg of LDM to the 20 litre batch.  2.5kg LDM = 3.0kg LME

If you want to go back to the 8.5 litre batch, which had 1.25kg of LME in it (5 packs of 250g), the direct conversion is to 1.040kg of LDM.

hi there shamus,

I'm thinking of putting this batch down this week in the 8.5 ltr.

I'm using w34/70 yeast.

what would you ferment it at

13 or 15 degrees.

and what would be the differences in the 2 degrees?

Hi @Zelly, I do my Dubbya lager ferments at 12°C.

Quoting from Beersmith "If you ferment your lager too warm, you will get excessive ester production along with other off flavors that will cause problems in the finished beer".  However, I do not think you will notice a difference between 13°C or 15°C.  My recommendation is that if you can ferment at 13°C, then do it.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Hi there Shamus.

I'm going to put down a coopers fresh draught recipe,

in the recipe it askes for 1.5kg of Thomas coopers light malt extract.

could I change to LDME instead and if so, what would the correct conversion be.

thanks.

1 hour ago, Zelly said:

Hi there Shamus.

thanks.

Hi Zelly,  You could certainly swap out the LME for LDM.  Replace the 1.5kg of LME with 1.2kg of LDM.  I think I might have got the conversion a bit wrong before.  Multiply your LME amount by 0.8 to get how much LDM to use.  This is because LME is about 20% water and 80%.

5 hours ago, Zelly said:

Hi there Shamus.

thanks.

As a matter of fact I am sipping on a Coopers Fresh Draught at this minute.  I used the LME in mine and it was done to the Coopers recipe.  But by my subsequent experience with following Coopers brews where I have added a cold steep of 250 gram of Carapils/Carafoam for overnight/24 hrs then boiled with the liquid LME, made a massive difference to the head and head retention of the finished beer.  The Fresh Draught is a nice looking and tasting kit beer but it looses head very quickly which is disappointing.  Do this tweak and you will be very happy with this recipe and would think it may just become one of your staple brews.

I you adopt the the cold steep of Carapils/Carafoam overnight/24 hrs for all your brews you will not be disappointed.

And also if you are bottling in PET then its a must to use 3 x Coopers carb drops or the Muzzy Method (tm) of 1 x carb drop AND 1 x cube of CSR white sugar cube for carbonation as PET bottles are like balloons and expand rather than push the CO2 into the beer.

Hope it goes well whatever you decide.

Cheers - AL

Edited by iBooz2
  • Like 2

Hey IBOOZ2.

have a look at the coopers recipe Royal lager.
is this what you are talking about with the cold steep?

I have made this beer, and its one of my favs  

I keg my beer and find that after at least 50+ days in the keg it tastes even better?

3 hours ago, Zelly said:

Hey IBOOZ2.

have a look at the coopers recipe Royal lager.
is this what you are talking about with the cold steep?

I have made this beer, and its one of my favs  

I keg my beer and find that after at least 50+ days in the keg it tastes even better?

Yep that's the technique right there in the Royal Lager recipe.  I remember doing that one as well but found with the Caramunich 1 used as per recipe it turned out a bit darker EBC than the 8 Coppers say in that recipe, nearly a 12 perhaps.  Maybe I boiled for a bit too long on that one, who knows. 

EDIT: just checked my brew notes and it came out and EBC 11.2  IBU 23.4

That's why I use 0.25 kg Carapils/Carfoam cold steep on all recipes now (especially the ones that are just tin and malt etc as it does not add any colour but makes huge difference in the head.

Yep minimum 4 weeks in the keg at 2 C and then start serving as this seems to be the sweet spot for my brew.  Don't think I could wait the 50+ days you do.

Cheers - AL

Edited by iBooz2
  • Like 1