Coopers Community

Strange Stout

Looking for input into the following recipe I was thinking of for winter.

250g of Chocolate malt grain cold (room temp) steeped over night in 3lt. Remove grain.

Then add in;

180g of Peanut powder

Boil it for 15min, then cool.

1x Tin of OS Stout

1kg of Dextrose

1x BE3

1kg Coopers Brew Sugar

Make upto 23l @ 18 celsius

Pitch two packs of English Ale yeast 

Does this sound somewhat balanced ?? should I swap out the Brew Sugar for a LDM ?? OR should I do it, and see what happens ??

3 hours ago, GingerNuts81 said:

Do you think maybe adding rolled oats would help?? If so, would I mash or could I cold steep with the Choc malt ??

Looking for a Stout for winter that has a sweeter nutty sort of profile

I agree with @jamiek86, 2kg of basic sugar will give you a drier finish.  Some LDM instead will be better.

If after some residual sweetness, maybe use 300g of Lactose.  It does not ferment, but adds sweetness.

Rolled oats will just add starch, haziness and mouthfeel.  You can use it that way.  However, it needs to be cooked first and then mashed with some base grains (Pilsner or Pale Malt) to convert the starch to fermentable sugar.  Using quick oats you can jump the cooking step.

• Like 1

If u used 1kg LDM plus the brew enhancer 3 to 20 something litres you would be getting around the 6% mark before bottle priming and plenty of body in it. All depends what alcohol content your chasing. You can add shit loads dextrose or sugar to anything if thin watery beer is what you want go ahead.

• Like 1

No no no, I want quality over quantity for sure.

I was just at the understanding you need about a kilo of sugar to a tin. Was also at the understanding that BE3 is only a little fermentable same as LDM.

That is how I came about thinking I needed to have extra sugar to mix.

On 3/28/2021 at 7:17 AM, GingerNuts81 said:

Looking for input into the following recipe I was thinking of for winter.

250g of Chocolate malt grain cold (room temp) steeped over night in 3lt. Remove grain.

Then add in;

180g of Peanut powder

Boil it for 15min, then cool.

1x Tin of OS Stout

1kg of Dextrose

1x BE3

1kg Coopers Brew Sugar

Make upto 23l @ 18 celsius

Pitch two packs of English Ale yeast 

Does this sound somewhat balanced ?? should I swap out the Brew Sugar for a LDM ?? OR should I do it, and see what happens ??

As it has been pointed out, drop the dextrose and the sugar and use dried malt instead. If you want to stick with the high ABV, then use 2kg of dried malt or maybe get a tin of unhopped dark liquid malt and use that in combination with 1kg DM. 

Lactose is good to give it some sweetness and while oats add some silky texture to the beer, I personally find they hamper head retention. Not that this is crucial in a stout. But yeah, the oats need to be mashed.

180g Peanut powder may not be enough to add decent peanut flavour. I've made a peanut butter porter a while ago and while it was a very nice beer, the peanut butter flavour was a tad underwhelming. I had used 360g PB2 for it but didn't boil it. I just added it to the FV as I didn't want the peanut goo clog up the pump of my brewing system. Boiling it with the steeped grains might give a better result.

• Like 1

On 3/29/2021 at 7:51 AM, GingerNuts81 said:

No no no, I want quality over quantity for sure.

I was just at the understanding you need about a kilo of sugar to a tin. Was also at the understanding that BE3 is only a little fermentable same as LDM.

That is how I came about thinking I needed to have extra sugar to mix.

I had meant to reply to your post sooner.  You do not need a kilo of sugar to a tin.  LDM is nearly as fermentable as sugar plus it leaves flavour, colour and body.  BE3 is mostly fermentable.  If I  remember rightly, it is about 1/2 LDM, 1/4 Dextrose and 1/4 Maltodextrine.  The Dex is fully fermentable and the LDM is mostly fermentable.  However the Maltodextrine is mostly UNfermentable.  It will leave some sweetness, body and aid foam.  You will get better results with LDM or BE3 than sugar or Dex.

Sugar or Dextrose are mostly added to the more complex sugars to increase ABV..

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

Sugar or Dextrose are mostly added to the more complex sugars to increase ABV..

@Shamus O'Sean  if I may sneak in here I the subject of Stout, in your learned opinion what would be your thoughts on the following

1 X 1.7 Coopers Stout

1 x 1.5 Coopers Wheat Malt Extract

1 x kg Dextrose  ( or should I replace this with more malt )

1 Safale s-04   ( + the supplied yeast or either one )

I am not concerned with ABV, I just want a full bodied stout with good head retention.

Your input is greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Phil

• Like 1

4 hours ago, CLASSIC said:

@Shamus O'Sean  if I may sneak in here I the subject of Stout, in your learned opinion what would be your thoughts on the following

1 X 1.7 Coopers Stout

I am not concerned with ABV, I just want a full bodied stout with good head retention.

Cheers

Phil

The coopers recipe for best extra stout is as follows

1 × Stout (1.7kg)

1 × Thomas Coopers Dark Malt Extract (1.5kg)

1 × Dextrose (1kg)

1 × Carbonation Drops (250g)

I wouldn't be adding more malt, to my tasting wheat malt is already quite filling/bloaty.

I'm currently fermenting a variation of this. Rather than using dark malt extract I used LDM and 300g carafa special 2. Leaving out the kg dextrose.

1 X 1.7 Coopers Stout

Cheers

Phil

I'd replace the dextrose with dried malt. I like using S04 for dark ales, porters or stouts. Of course there is always trusty old Nottingham. 

Ok, I'm brewing all grain but even back in the day, I didn't (and still do not) use dextrose for anything but bottle conditioning. I am not a strict 1516er, I still kinda follow the rules 🙂 

1 X 1.7 Coopers Stout

Cheers

Phil

Hi @CLASSIC

I would personally drop the dextrose and add 500g of light dry malt.  At 23L it would be around 5.1% and have better body & head retention than 1kg of dextrose. 

Use both yeasts.

1 minute ago, Maurice79 said:

Hi @CLASSIC

I would personally drop the dextrose and add 500g of light dry malt.  At 23L it would be around 5.1% and have better body & head retention than 1kg of dextrose. 

Use both yeasts.

I was thinking exactly that as I was going to fill about 20l to get a higher ABV but the Dextrose is not really needed. The ingredients above is what I have on hand & that's want to use apart from the Dextrose. Cheers.

5 minutes ago, Aussiekraut said:

I'd replace the dextrose with dried malt. I like using S04 for dark ales, porters or stouts. Of course there is always trusty old Nottingham. 

Ok, I'm brewing all grain but even back in the day, I didn't (and still do not) use dextrose for anything but bottle conditioning. I am not a strict 1516er, I still kinda follow the rules 🙂 

Hi @Aussiekraut  I really think I have it sorted now so thank you, I was looking for a reason not to use the Dextrose so I will add some LDME to the ingredients above & use both yeasts, bring on the Krausen, Cheers.

8 hours ago, CLASSIC said:

1 X 1.7 Coopers Stout

Cheers

Phil

Hey Phil,

Looks like you got plenty of answers to your questions.  Great work Forum @alilley, @Aussiekraut and @Maurice79.  There is nothing wrong with the 1kg of Dextrose when you already have 3.2kg of extract in the recipe.  If it were me though I would use some LDM instead.  You could still use some Dextrose too.  I did a recent brew with 300g of Raw Sugar and it still tasted fine.  If you still want the ABV you get from 4.2kg of fermentables, maybe 700g of LDM and 300g of Dextrose.

Also just putting it out there,  both guinness and murphy's are basically dark water. Murphy's has an amazing rich creaminess about the head but the beer itself is super thin. Having done the two can stout before (the old stouter stout recipe) which also had a kilo of dextrose, it had no issues at all with body.

Edited by alilley

7 hours ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

Hey Phil,

Looks like you got plenty of answers to your questions.  Great work Forum @alilley, @Aussiekraut and @Maurice79.  There is nothing wrong with the 1kg of Dextrose when you already have 3.2kg of extract in the recipe.  If it were me though I would use some LDM instead.  You could still use some Dextrose too.  I did a recent brew with 300g of Raw Sugar and it still tasted fine.  If you still want the ABV you get from 4.2kg of fermentables, maybe 700g of LDM and 300g of Dextrose.

Hi @Shamus O'Sean  Thank you for your input, I have made plenty of Stouts & Toucan Stouts before but have never used Wheat Malt Extract as kindly suggested by the Gray Bearded One

the "Graubster" . When I bought the products ( Stout ) etc the LHBS owner suggested the Dextrose but after thinking about it & studying up I was thinking more malt instead.

Thanks to @alilley  @Aussiekraut  & @Maurice79 for there input also.

I have decided to go with @Shamus O'Sean with 700gm LDM & 300gm Dextrose as I can see this will be a better balance.

Cheers to All

Phil

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

@CLASSIC, It will definitely be interesting to hear how you go with the Wheat Malt Extract in your Stout.  You will probably not notice the haziness that it usually brings.  But it should add to the body and mouthfeel.

Cheers @Shamus O'Sean  I will  be putting it together this weekend so I will record progress, Thanks for your input.

• Like 1