Coopers Community

Advent calendars

King Ruddager

On 12/18/2020 at 4:35 PM, kmar92 said:

Beer Cartel Advent Calendar - 18 December.

Revel Brewing Co - Browntown American Brown Ale.

Very deep brown colour with a creamy head.

Roasty aroma.

Malty body with good balanced bitternes, definite roasted taste.

Nice beer 8/10.

1525e.JPG

Cracked that one last night. Not a bad beer but I felt closer to a Porter than an American Brown Ale taste wise.

Good maltiness but almost a roasty  character there. Possibly a very dark chocolate malt?

7/10

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

Beer Cartel Advent Calendar - 19 December.

Boatrocker Brewers & Distillers –LIFE Barleywine – 8.5% ABV

Caramel aroma.

Heavy flavour.  Dense mouthfeel.  Probably good by an open fireplace.  Tastes like it needs more bitterness.  Good to try one, but I will not be running out to by a slab of it.  6/10

Some ingredients for tomorrow's brew mixing day in background.

IMG_2101.JPG.84c4ed7b793c623e20836b95f5c11517.JPG

Cracked this one last night after a few HB lagers and the Brown ale. Much preferred this to the Brown Ale. Light ABV for a Barleywine but a great toffee/caramel flavour to it.

Big mouthfeel that hung around in the mouth long after the beer had passed your lips.

Not my favourite beer of the calendar but will make the final 10.

Was still most suitable to end the evening on and ensure a quick drift off to sleep.

• Haha 1

Beer Cartel Advent Calendar - 21 December.

White Bay Brewing Co. - Dreaming - Belgian Wit.

Light straw colour typical of witbier.

Getting floral hints as well as orange and herbs (has a coriander addition).

Not a bad witbier, 7/10.

1542e.JPG

• Like 1

Beer Cartel Advent Calendar - 22 December.

Foghorn Brewery - Red Right Hand - Red IPA.

Deep copper colour. Some herbal aroma, from the Sabro hops I guess.

Quite bitter but not in an over the top amount. Pours with a big full head.

7/10.

1546e.JPG

• Like 1

Foghorn Brewery – Red Right Hand Red IPA – 6.0% ABV

Strong but very pleasing aroma pine, peaches ‘n’ cream lolly’s.

Really well balanced flavour/bitterness/malt/sweetness.  There is a lingering flavour that I cannot pick, but it’s nice. 8.5/10

IMG_2115.JPG.d0c9545579f41dafce3b7819bffa9583.JPG

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

Foghorn Brewery – Red Right Hand Red IPA – 6.0% ABV

Strong but very pleasing aroma pine, peaches ‘n’ cream lolly’s.

Really well balanced flavour/bitterness/malt/sweetness.  There is a lingering flavour that I cannot pick, but it’s nice. 8.5/10

IMG_2115.JPG.d0c9545579f41dafce3b7819bffa9583.JPG

I really loved the name of this beer, it's reference to Peaky Blinders and Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds.

• Like 1

Beer Cartel Advent Calendar - 24 December.

One Drop Brewing Co - Nitro Milkshake IPA.

This is a nitro beer so despite following the instructions it still poured as in the photo! Pineapple aroma.

Quite silky mouthfeel with the nitro. Tastes pretty much as the can says - coconut and pineapple. A bit too sweet for my taste.

7/10.

1555e.JPG

• Like 1

Beer Cartel Advent Calendar - 24 December.

One Drop Brewing Co – Toasted Coconut & Pineapple Nitro Milkshake IPA– 5.9% ABV

Pineapple, citrus peel aroma with a hint of cream.

I did not get the nitro effect, either.  Maybe I did the upside down tip too gently.  From fear of loosing a third of the brew in froth.

Different flavours going on.  Sweetness.  Pine.  I cannot detect the coconut.  Citrus peel after-taste.  Marks for originality, but not my favourite of the calendar.  7/10

IMG_2120.JPG.90dfc6c7ad8a3492ec8415f52098e9a7.JPG

Beer Cartel Advent Calendar - 25 December.

Hawkers Beer - Knafeh Habibi

Pretty nice drop to conclude the Advent Calendar, a lovely stout.

Very dark in the glass, chocolate aroma.

Beautiful velvety mouthfeel, vanilla and chocolate with a perfect roasty aftertaste to balance the lactose sweetness.

A great stout.

8.5 - 9/10.

1558e.JPG

• Like 2

I usually do not post until the day after, but this beer is an exception.

Hawkers Beer –Knafeh Habibi– 8.5% ABV

Aroma: Chocolate ‘n’ pastry.

I cannot wait for it to get to the recommended 8°C.

Flavour: Pastry dessert.  Something like jaffa lollies in a glass.  The flavours in this are amazing.  @kmar92 captures the details so well.  I have not tried the dessert, Knafeh, but I would now love to.

My clear winner for the year. 10/10

IMG_2127.JPG.faec86079d5561da186b0b010af34656.JPG

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

I usually do not post until the day after, but this beer is an exception.

Hawkers Beer –Knafeh Habibi– 8.5% ABV

Aroma: Chocolate ‘n’ pastry.

I cannot wait for it to get to the recommended 8°C.

Flavour: Pastry dessert.  Something like jaffa lollies in a glass.  The flavours in this are amazing.  @kmar92 captures the details so well.  I have not tried the dessert, Knafeh, but I would now love to.

My clear winner for the year. 10/10

IMG_2127.JPG.faec86079d5561da186b0b010af34656.JPG

Wow!

Yeah a great stout and a fitting finale. Looking forward to next years offerings from Beer Cartel, they did a bloody amazing job with this one!

• Like 2

There were a few really nice beers in the Beer Cartel calendar but overall, I was a little disappointed to be honest. On a positive note, not a single Sour in sight and it actually offered a few Qld beers as well. I don't know what the BoozeBud Calendar had to offer this time around but I'm not sure if the Beer Cartel one is worth the extra cost. 

What's your opinion? Did anybody have a BoozeBud calendar they can comment on?

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, Aussiekraut said:

There were a few really nice beers in the Beer Cartel calendar but overall, I was a little disappointed to be honest. 

What's your opinion? 

I'd agree with that, mate. I was a bit underwhelmed. A couple of standouts but on the whole it was only so-so. I have bought one the last 3 years and think the previous two were definitely better.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Aussiekraut said:

There were a few really nice beers in the Beer Cartel calendar but overall, I was a little disappointed to be honest. On a positive note, not a single Sour in sight and it actually offered a few Qld beers as well. I don't know what the BoozeBud Calendar had to offer this time around but I'm not sure if the Beer Cartel one is worth the extra cost. 

I enjoyed this year's Beer Cartel calendar.  This is only my second year doing it.  One of the guys I was sharing tasting notes with, pointed out to me that last year's had more variety.   A couple of sours,  the chipotle chilli beer, Choco Brown Beer Shake.

This year had a few more variations of IPA's.  Maybe too many.  However, some of these were the stand-outs for me.  I will still be definitely getting one again next year.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

This year had a few more variations of IPA's.  Maybe too many.  However, some of these were the stand-outs for me.  I will still be definitely getting one again next year.

I had the BoozeBud calendar for the last 3 or 4 years and thought I go for this one as people said the variety was better in the Beer Cartel calendar. My main gripe is that there were too many NEIPAS (one is enough, none is better 🙂 ) and most beers were simply too strong for my liking. Some beers nicely covered the alcohol sharpness but most didn't. I just don't like it. Of course there were some gems in it, notably the Knafeh Habibi. That was a very nice beer.

I understand that all those craft breweries popping up left, right and centre are all trying to differentiate themselves from others but some beers are just a little too "innovative" for my liking. I'm all for experimentation but also a bit conservative when it comes to beer. Some brews these days are pushing it a little IMHO.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Aussiekraut said:

I understand that all those craft breweries popping up left, right and centre are all trying to differentiate themselves from others but some beers are just a little too "innovative" for my liking. I'm all for experimentation but also a bit conservative when it comes to beer. Some brews these days are pushing it a little IMHO.

I can second that opinion beers with added orange flavour and watermelon that aren't coming from hop additions aren't doing it for me.

• Like 3

50 minutes ago, kmar92 said:

I had no regrets about buying the Beer Cartel Advent Calendar and I quite enjoyed it. Always good to taste different styles and interpretations. Yeah some that I didn't like but others were great.

I've seen all u guys putting these up is it a mixed slab you get or get calender and go source them all?

1 hour ago, jamiek86 said:

I've seen all u guys putting these up is it a mixed slab you get or get calender and go source them all?

Hi Jamie

https://www.beercartel.com.au/

Create an account, opt in for notifications and you should get an email when they are about to release the calendar for next year.  You'll also get regular emails about other beers as they come in.

Other companies (Booze Bud) offer something similar.

The companies send out their predetermined slab of 24-25 beers.  One to try for each date in December up to Christmas.  They are a bit pricey, but still cheaper than buying each single can/stubby on its own.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

Hi Jamie

https://www.beercartel.com.au/

Create an account, opt in for notifications and you should get an email when they are about to release the calendar for next year.  You'll also get regular emails about other beers as they come in.

Other companies (Booze Bud) offer something similar.

The companies send out their predetermined slab of 24-25 beers.  One to try for each date in December up to Christmas.  They are a bit pricey, but still cheaper than buying each single can/stubby on its own.

long time to worry about it for next year then thanks didn't know why they all statred popping up all of sudden

• Like 1