Coopers Community

Advent calendars

King Ruddager

Beer Cartel Advent Calendar – 4th December

I am a little bit worried.  Looks a lot like pineapple juice.  Smells a lot like pineapple juice, but beery.

OMG Tastes like a Pine-Lime Splice ice-cream.  Nice and easy to drink.  Short sharp bitterness that is not overpowering.

I should not have been worried. 7/10

IMG_2040.JPG.52c12ec6780c70d5b5e47adc54e74e94.JPG

Beer Cartel Advent Calendar - 6 December.

Blackman's Brewery - Needs More Cascade IPA.

Single hop IPA, hazy in the glass with citrus aroma.

Characteristic Cascade influence with citrus and grapefruit taste in this single hopped beer. Good bitterness and very refreshing after a hot day.

I like this beer and style. 9/10.

1465e.JPG

• Like 1

Blackmans Brewery – Needs More Cascade IPA

Sierra Nevada Pale Ale on ‘roids

I overdid the pour a bit.  Not my fault though because the can was over-full.

Classic grapefruit citrus aroma.

First sip, flavour is full on.  Then it grows on you.  Pretty strong bitterness and lingering citrus peel taste. 7.5/10

IMG_2058.JPG.9ddd0a158ffafe5dcb99744979730313.JPG

• Haha 2

I stumbled upon a partial advent calendar last week. I would probably never actually buy one myself. However, my wife's niece was complaining about spiders around her house. Having had a mate who ran his own pest control business I knew it was a simple job and offered to spray her house surrounds. It cost me about $2 in David Gray bug spray and probably 20 minutes of time.
After doing the spray her husband opens his beer fridge and offers me a beer. He's about to grab one of the 70 or so Red Tins (West End) in there when I noticed a few odds and sods in the fridge door. They were beers from an advent calendar, dunno which one. I asked if I could have one of those instead. He was delighted. He'd prefer his Red Tins over the craftier beers. Anyway I drank about half a dozen. I can't remember them all but Dos Equis XX was nice and Hoegaarden which I'd tried previously on tap in Singapore a few years ago was equally as dreadful in a bottle. So I don't think I'll be rushing to get into witbiers any time soon.
To top things off the young niece is also making my household a tray of her salubrious vanilla slice for my services rendered. Not a bad trade off for $2 of pesticide. 🙂 

• Like 3

Beer Cartel Advent Calendar - 7 December.

Fenchies - Soft Tropical Mist - DDH session NEIPA.

Pleasant citrus/tropical aroma and similar taste.

Quite a refreshing NEIPA but nothing awesome, a reasonable quaffer for a hot day.

6.5/10

1467e.JPG

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

Blackmans Brewery – Needs More Cascade IPA

Sierra Nevada Pale Ale on ‘roids

I overdid the pour a bit.  Not my fault though because the can was over-full.

Classic grapefruit citrus aroma.

First sip, flavour is full on.  Then it grows on you.  Pretty strong bitterness and lingering citrus peel taste. 7.5/10

IMG_2058.JPG.9ddd0a158ffafe5dcb99744979730313.JPG

I found the big bitterness drowns out some of the grapefruit flavours. 

• Like 1

Beer Cartel Advent Calendar - 8 December.

Brouhaha Brewery - Hinterland XPA.

Hmmm I don't know what to say about this one.

Subtle aroma and a nice hue in the glass.

Very drinkable but nothing outstanding. It also seemed a little under-carbonated to me, as evident in the photo.

6/10.

1472e.jpg

• Like 1

Beer Cartel Advent Calendar - 7 December.

Frenchies Brewery – Soft Tropical Mist DDH Session NEIPA – 3.5%ABV

Pleasant tropical hop aroma.

Really nice flavour.  Not so much well-balanced as balanced to taste like a Session NEIPA.

It is a bit like the brewers have said, what would a really nice NEIPA taste like if it only had 3.5% ABV in it, and they hit it, spot on.

7.5/10 - Apol's for the photo, it's a bit dark

IMG_2067.JPG.48cbd7bef94784b1281d3061ffa031f1.JPG

• Like 2

Beer Cartel Advent Calendar - 8 December.

Brouhaha Brewery – Hinterland XPA – 5.2% ABV

Not much aroma, slight fruity, slightly sweet

Smooth mouthfeel, perhaps from the oats.

Very interesting flavour.  Quite distinct, but hard to describe.  I have never really had this in a beer before.  A mixture of fruit (but I cannot pick which one).  Maybe kiwi fruit, maybe passionfruit. Maybe peach.  Some sweetness.  Maybe honey-like.  It could be the uniqueness of the NZ hops or the combination thereof: Motueka, Moutere and Hort-4337.

7/10

IMG_2072.JPG.a7aa3c195adae7f270de7c5ad56d09f0.JPG

• Like 1

Beer Cartel Advent Calendar - 9 December.

Deeds Brewing - Primal Horde - Oat Cream IPA.

Citrus aroma.

The taste follows the hop profile, which is Centennial, Citra and Vic Secret. Citrus, grapefruit and fruit tastes. Would possibly benefit from a bit more oats for mouthfeel.

8.0/10

1473e.JPG

2 hours ago, kmar92 said:

Beer Cartel Advent Calendar - 9 December.

Deeds Brewing - Primal Horde - Oat Cream IPA.

Citrus aroma.

The taste follows the hop profile, which is Centennial, Citra and Vic Secret. Citrus, grapefruit and fruit tastes. Would possibly benefit from a bit more oats for mouthfeel.

8.0/10

1473e.JPG

Like a lot of beers in the Beer Cartel calendar are stronger than they need be and this one is part of it. If I can taste the alcohol in a beer, I don't want to know about it and in this one I can. What I find more disturbing is though that the ingredients list says dextrose. That disqualifies the beer in my eyes. They probably do it to get the ABV to 7%. If they left it out, the beer would be so much better. The flavours are good, the aroma is good, you can taste the oats and the texture is nice and silky. Just the alcohol. It's a shame.

• Like 3

Beer Cartel Advent Calendar - 11 December

All Inn Brewing - What's Up My Grinches? - Vanilla Milk Stout.

Lovely dark hue.

Aromas of coffee and vanilla.

Very smooth with rich vanilla, chocolate and roasted coffee taste.

A lovely version of the style.

9/10.

1482e.JPG

• Like 3

Beer Cartel Advent Calendar - 10 December.

Little Alchemist Brewing – OUROBOROS Nieuwe Vlaanderen Red – 6.0% ABV

Slightly funky aroma.

Sour is the dominant flavour.   A malty backbone.

Hard for a sour to score well, as they’re a bit one dimensional, I do not mind this one though.  It says it was brewed with a sour yeast – 6.5/10

IMG_2077.JPG.4b146b20cef417806116a0508b501d3e.JPG

This is just me, and my own personal tastes. I'm so glad I didn't go for one of these advent calenders. I would've been so disappointed finding one sour beer let alone two or three. How is this even beer? It belongs on fish and chips. I'm betting it's a fad that will disappear quickly like neipas. 

Each to their own.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Pale Man said:

This is just me, and my own personal tastes. I'm so glad I didn't go for one of these advent calenders. I would've been so disappointed finding one sour beer let alone two or three. How is this even beer? It belongs on fish and chips. I'm betting it's a fad that will disappear quickly like neipas. 

Each to their own.

When beer brewing first started, it was likely that most beers would be somewhat soured due to the brewing practices at that time. And beers have been intentionally soured for a couple of hundred years. I think it has been around longer than the original Lager/Pilsner.

So perhaps sours are the real beers and the question posed (facetiously) could be “how are lagers even beer?”.

13 hours ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

Hard for a sour to score well, as they’re a bit one dimensional, I do not mind this one though.

Really? Perhaps I should send you one of mine one day.

13 hours ago, Pale Man said:

It belongs on fish and chips. I'm betting it's a fad that will disappear quickly like neipas. 

I love a sour. Should not be vinegary at all.
I have a Flanders on that I ferment for 6 months, and now a Berliner as well. Early taste of that one is stunning.

The style has been around for ages and will not go away. 

1 hour ago, Ben 10 said:

Really? Perhaps I should send you one of mine one day.

I probably should have phrased my comment better.  I like sours.  This one was a bit one dimensional; not all of them.  From reading about yours, Ben, they sound outstanding.  The Little Alchemist one was pretty sour and this flavour tended to dominate.  They referred to it as an early brew and that they had siphoned off a few barrels worth to age.  These might turn out a bit more special.

I am drinking the Beer Cartel Advent Calendar and swapping scores and comments with four other mates.  One loved the Little Alchemist sour, I liked it, three did not.  Kmar92 only got halfway through his. 

They are an acquired taste, that I have acquired.

There's now way I would waste one on fish n chips.😁

• Like 1
  • Haha 2