Coopers Community

Brewing at ambient temp with Kviek yeast

Hey guys.

So for the next few weeks at least I've had to move north to central Qld (compassionate grounds).

Staying with the brother in law, we're obviously chewing through cartons of beer like they're going out of fashion.

Hence my post. He's got a FV and some pet bottles in his shed which he's used once on a failed ginger beer experiment.

I figured whilst I'm here, I might as well give his equipment a good clean and have a crack at a basic K & K brew and use some Kviek yeast, as there's no temp control available and I'll be fermenting at ambient, which around here at this time of year is around 30 odd degrees.

I've never used Kviek yeast before. I'm after some recipe suggestions.

I haven't got a lot of equipment at.my disposal, but could possibly do a small steep and a late addition of something.

The brother in law likes lagers but isn't fazed my a slightly hopped pale ale.

Given this, what would be a simple kit n kilo with a dry hop (maybe even a short steep, boil and FO addition) that would make something not too Hoppy and come out delicious using kviek at ambient. Any suggestions would be great. Cheers.

I haven't used it but I understand it's fairly neutral so it's more 'pick your recipe' and add kveik.

Real Ale can, kilo LDME and hop with maybe 25g mosaic for a couple of days.

Edited by Journeyman

3 minutes ago, karlos_1984 said:

Is a German witbier or similar style possible in an extract form?

Download the recipe SS from Shamus here...  You can use it to find a large number of extract recipes based on what you have - drop down the arrows at top to filter.

2 hours ago, karlos_1984 said:

a slightly hopped pale ale.

Would be good. The yeast I have used had a fairly prominent taste when made with a rather plain beer. Repitches were in hoppy beers and the flavour from the yeast compliments the hops well.

@karlos_1984 good luck with your compassionate grounds Karlos - hope it all goes well.

Are you limited to supply of ingredients where you are? A well stocked LHBS nearby?

I see more experienced brewers than I have made some suggestions but if you are limited in what you have available then perhaps let us know what you can get hold of and perhaps we can/will make some suggestions based on those ingredients.

Cheers - AL

8 hours ago, iBooz2 said:

@karlos_1984 good luck with your compassionate grounds Karlos - hope it all goes well.

Are you limited to supply of ingredients where you are? A well stocked LHBS nearby?

I see more experienced brewers than I have made some suggestions but if you are limited in what you have available then perhaps let us know what you can get hold of and perhaps we can/will make some suggestions based on those ingredients.

Cheers - AL

Thanks mate. I haven't been to the lhbs nearby so I'm not sure. As t the very least I can get the Cooper's extract from the local Dan's or big W. If I can't get yeast or hops in town ill look at getting them posted

So went into town where I'm currently staying and checked out the Lhbs.

Not impressed. Basically just an extract shop. Staff there had never heard of Kviek yeast. "What's that?" Didn't have a clue. Tried selling me their "craft speciality yeast" which was just mangrove jacks and recommended using those packets of Morgan's finishing hops hanging on the shelf.

See ya later.

Can anyone suggest a decent online merchant for yeast and fresh hops in Qld or am I kidding myself 

1 hour ago, karlos_1984 said:

So went into town where I'm currently staying and checked out the Lhbs.

Not impressed. Basically just an extract shop. Staff there had never heard of Kviek yeast. "What's that?" Didn't have a clue. Tried selling me their "craft speciality yeast" which was just mangrove jacks and recommended using those packets of Morgan's finishing hops hanging on the shelf.

See ya later.

Can anyone suggest a decent online merchant for yeast and fresh hops in Qld or am I kidding myself 

Hoppy Days at Virginia. 

https://hoppydaysbrewingsupplies.com.au/

I get all my stuff there now, but it's only a 30 min drive for me to pick up from them.

10 hours ago, karlos_1984 said:

If you jump onto FB "the brew shop Noosa" Scott is a brewer. He has his 3 vessel set up in store.  Drop him a message on what you are after he has a huge range. His yeasts include Kveik Voss, their is not a hop he will not have  and a long list of gain.  Send him a message via FB and I am sure he will look after you.   Oh and he is cheap.  

11 hours ago, MartyG1525230263 said:

If you jump onto FB "the brew shop Noosa" Scott is a brewer. He has his 3 vessel set up in store.  Drop him a message on what you are after he has a huge range. His yeasts include Kveik Voss, their is not a hop he will not have  and a long list of gain.  Send him a message via FB and I am sure he will look after you.   Oh and he is cheap.  

He has very reasonable prices if he was in Sydney let alone a posh joint like Noosa

@karlos_1984

Forget brewing in the tropic's Karlos, it sounds like what you & your brother in-law are after is some good old fashioned  "Chateau Townsville"...sometimes referred to by locals as goon or baged wine. Its a real classy quoff...apparently. 

You will both find bottle shops & mosquitoes are almost every where in the tropics, & don't make athe mistake of celebrating a blues victory come origin time in the footy, you will wake up with a pounding headache then mate.

Best put a lager down before you leave, it will be ready on your return.

10 hours ago, Ocean's of Ale- said:

@karlos_1984

Forget brewing in the tropic's Karlos, it sounds like what you & your brother in-law are after is some good old fashioned  "Chateau Townsville"...sometimes referred to by locals as goon or baged wine. Its a real classy quoff...apparently. 

You will both find bottle shops & mosquitoes are almost every where in the tropics, & don't make athe mistake of celebrating a blues victory come origin time in the footy, you will wake up with a pounding headache then mate.

Best put a lager down before you leave, it will be ready on your return.

I've already been here 6 weeks mate. Had just bought my grain to make a choc coffee stout to be ready for winter but then I had to down tools and head north unfortunately. No winter stout for me this year.

At the rate of cartons I'm consuming whilst here, i figured it couldn't hurt giving the kveik a go to try and make something drinkable. Not working whilst here is not doing the hip pocket any favours.

So I did a brew up this morning.

I pitched a pack of dry llamend kveik yeast at 36 degrees.

I've never used it before. But bugger me, it's already kicked off less than and hour after pitching. By the time I'd cleaned up everything it's off and running.

Fingers crossed the Qld ambient temp doesn't adversely affect this brew.

• Like 1

Not used to using FV with an air lock. Had to top it up 6 times in the first few hours. Have backed the lid off slightly to ease the pressure a bit otherwise the airlock will bubble over dry and then ants will get in. 

Smells awesome though. 

• Haha 1