Coopers Community

OK, I know I am a noob...

Journeyman

...when I'm looking up ingredients and find them written in a foreign language. 😄

"Cooper Premium Ale Malt carries sufficient enzymatic power to be used as a base malt with non-enzymatic specialty malts. All barley is sourced from Australian farms and is malted by Cooper’s Brewery Malting Moisture % Max 4.5 Extract % FG, Dry Basis Min 81.0 Colour EBC 4.5 - 7.0 Diastatic Power WK, Dry Basis Min 200 Total Protein %, Dry Basis 9.0 - 10.5 Soluble Protein %, Dry Basis 4.0 - 4.8 Kolbach Index %, Congress 42 - 48 Apparent Attenuation % 78 - 82 Free Amino Nitrogen mg/l Min 130 Friability % Min 80 Homogeneity % Min 95 Assortment % <2.2mm Max 1.0 Viscosity mPa.sec Max 1.58 Wort Beta Glucan mg/l Max 180"

I know it's English up till... 'Brewery Malting Moisture' but then it just goes off into lala-land. 😄 

I mean I KNOW it's a complex subject but surely the rabbit hole could be a little less precipitous near the entrance?

The relevant info to me is that it is a base malt with enough enzymatic power to not only convert the starches of it's own, but also that of specialty malts used in conjunction with it.

It is light in colour. It has fairly high attenuation capability, & is produced from Australian grown barley.

Beyond that at my level I don't really need to know much else.

Cheers,

Lusty. 

• Like 1

"Apparent Attenuation % 78 - 82"

Well I did like this bit as well - that's good attenuation if my reading hasn't let me down.

It was more how my eyes kinda glazed over as I attempted to read it. And it was just on a malted grain explanation, not a chemist site. I knew a guy in Bendigo who used to TALK like this - industrial chemist with 30 years experience in brewing research. I mean seriously, you'd be sitting at the bar drinking craft beer and he'd start in & before you knew it you'd be 5 pints down trying to drown it out. 😄 

Damn near put me off ever trying home brew. 😄 

Edited by Journeyman

5 minutes ago, MUZZY said:

@Journeyman I reckon you should stop trying to find the meaning of life and just make beer and drink it. It's far more relaxing. 😄 

Well, firstly... let me put it this way... when I said I was going to start home brew SWMBO said, "You're going to love that, not only the beer but all the sciencey stuff" 

2nd, as I am not working, I need to fill my days so I don't just drink beer all day and night and die an early death.

3rd, I can't really afford all the experimenting some of you have gone through - a bad brew is more of a disaster for me than "Oh golly, I'll have to buy some more" 😄

4th, I like to understand the things I do and get into so reading up in advance of what I'm currently at is how I get plans for what I'm going to do.

And even with all that, that grain description is a rabbit hole deeper than I want to go - I'll wind up boring the shit out of guys at the bar. 😄

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, Journeyman said:

Well, firstly... let me put it this way... when I said I was going to start home brew SWMBO said, "You're going to love that, not only the beer but all the sciencey stuff" 

2nd, as I am not working, I need to fill my days so I don't just drink beer all day and night and die an early death.

3rd, I can't really afford all the experimenting some of you have gone through - a bad brew is more of a disaster for me than "Oh golly, I'll have to buy some more" 😄

4th, I like to understand the things I do and get into so reading up in advance of what I'm currently at is how I get plans for what I'm going to do.

And even with all that, that grain description is a rabbit hole deeper than I want to go - I'll wind up boring the shit out of guys at the bar. 😄

I really need a beer after reading all that. 😄

• Haha 1

58 minutes ago, Journeyman said:

In all my years of brewing, there has been only one batch that I couldn't drink (a peanut butter concoction) and I have made some terrible beers.

So either I have no real discernible taste or it is really hard to make undrinkable beer.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

11 minutes ago, Hairy said:

In all my years of brewing, there has been only one batch that I couldn't drink (a peanut butter concoction) and I have made some terrible beers.

So either I have no real discernible taste or it is really hard to make undrinkable beer.

I have a Scottish father and a Jewish mother - it would be VERY difficult for me to NOT drink a brew. 😄

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, PaddyBrew2 said:

Jesus what a mix 😂 

Id say you didn’t see much pocket money growing up 

And you'd be right, but it was worse - I started working at 9 (chopping up spuds in a fish and chip shop) and pretty much every time I earned anything the old lady would 'borrow' it for household. I never saw any of it repaid.

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, MUZZY said:

@Journeyman I reckon you should stop trying to find the meaning of life and just make beer and drink it. It's far more relaxing. 😄 

I think you're being a bit harsh mate.

People go into home brewing with different goals & objectives. As Journeyman's forum name suggests he is likely to move forward into the AG space at some point, so the sort of info he is asking about does make a lot of sense to me for why he is asking.

Cheers,

Lusty.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Journeyman said:

I have a Scottish father and a Jewish mother - it would be VERY difficult for me to NOT drink a brew. 😄

I saw this Scottish guy in the pub the other night. A fly had fallen into his beer and he fished it out saying: "Spit it out! Everything!" 

• Haha 2

8 hours ago, Aussiekraut said:

I saw this Scottish guy in the pub the other night. A fly had fallen into his beer and he fished it out saying: "Spit it out! Everything!" 

Same thing happened to the Jewish guy beside him, and he fished out the fly, turned to the Scot, held up the fly and says, "How much for the fly?" 😄

I know 'em all...

Adam asked God for a companion and God said he would make the perfect one, to look after him, to cook, sweep the leaves, do the hunting, BJ's every day and sex all night. Adam isn't silly and he asks God what the price will be. God says, "I need an arm, 5 ribs, half a leg, a kidney, some skin off your back, an ear and an eye to do it right."

Adam thinks and then asks, "What can I get for a rib?"

After a while, Adam realises he got the worst of the bargain - he didn't need all those bits because, after all, the woman was going to do everything. He complains about her to God and God feels sorry for him and gives him beer.

All went well... until the serpent introduced the woman to cider... 😄

Edited by Journeyman
  • Haha 2

12 hours ago, Beerlust said:

I think you're being a bit harsh mate.

People go into home brewing with different goals & objectives. As Journeyman's forum name suggests he is likely to move forward into the AG space at some point, so the sort of info he is asking about does make a lot of sense to me for why he is asking.

Cheers,

Lusty.

Hi Lusty.
I think my comment has been taken the wrong way. Very much tongue in cheek.

1 minute ago, MUZZY said:

Hi Lusty.
I think my comment has been taken the wrong way. Very much tongue in cheek.

That's the trouble with text, it can often be construed a numbers of ways.

It's certainly happened to me on more than one occasion with things I've written on the forum, so I know what you mean.

Cheers,

Lusty.

• Like 3

Just now, Beerlust said:

That's the trouble with text, it can often be construed a numbers of ways.

It's certainly happened to me on more than one occasion with things I've written on the forum, so I know what you mean.

Cheers,

Lusty.

Yep. Whilst I sit at the keyboard with a cheeky grin typing away, someone else in a different mood thinks, "Hey! He's having a crack at me."
It's all good though, as long as we explain ourselves.
Peace. 🙂 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Journeyman said:

Nah...  S'all good. I took it as you meant it. 

But Lusty's comment kinda describes me. 😄

I figured you took it as intended, JM, due to your subsequent comments.
I enjoy your input here. You kind of remind me of the Warner Bros' Tassie Devil. Flying in like a whirlwind. 😄

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Journeyman said:

Same thing happened to the Jewish guy beside him, and he fished out the fly, turned to the Scot, held up the fly and says, "How much for the fly?" 😄

I know 'em all...

Adam asked God for a companion and God said he would make the perfect one, to look after him, to cook, sweep the leaves, do the hunting, BJ's every day and sex all night. Adam isn't silly and he asks God what the price will be. God says, "I need an arm, 5 ribs, half a leg, a kidney, some skin off your back, an ear and an eye to do it right."

Adam thinks and then asks, "What can I get for a rib?"

After a while, Adam realises he got the worst of the bargain - he didn't need all those bits because, after all, the woman was going to do everything. He complains about her to God and God feels sorry for him and gives him beer.

All went well... until the serpent introduced the woman to cider... 😄

Yeah the Scots have a reputation but did you know the Swabians in Germany were expelled from Scotland for being stingy? And the Dutch invented copper wire when two guys were fighting over a penny. 🙂 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2