Coopers Community

Saison Recipes

24 minutes ago, Beerlust said:

I've often wondered about the complaints brewers raise about this strain, & whether the problems arise by not allowing the ferment to free rise under suitable ambient conditions, or that the pitching temp is a bit low to begin with.

That said, it is recommended to begin the ferment with this strain, & then finish it off with a more aggressive strain. The effort to do so is apparently worth it.

I'd be reluctant to blend this strain with another for the beginning of the primary ferment as the '24' may not end up being the dominant strain with what it is matched with, thus I would suggest you will not gain the best attributes into the final beer from it by doing this.

Cheers & good brewing,

Lusty.

Yeah i tried 3 times to use 3724 by itself lusty. Twice in a closed ferment which got up to the early 30s and the third time in an open ferment with a tea towel and a rubber band over the fermenter. Everytime it stopped. The one time i let it finish it took over 30 days and i didn't particularly like it due to extreme funk. The other times i as you said finished off with belle. 

I then decided to try a 1L belle starter and mix with a 1L 3724 starter. Like you i expected belle to dominate but it didn't. Its a middle of the road saison between a funky 3724 and mild belle saison. A smidgen more funkier than 3726. Im keen for for a 3726/3724 blend to see if that gives a middle of the road result between those two yeasts.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, The Captain!! said:

@Greeny1525229549

I think if you continued to use the mix over and over I’d expect the Belle to eventually become dominant.

Have you been harvesting and are reusing this belle/3724?

Happy new year mate.

I have overmade and reused about 5 or 6 times. I haven't tasted a drift with it but then again dont have a bottle available from batch 1 to do a side by side so its just from memory. But yeah fully expect it to go one way or the other after sometime. I think a reason may be they are both are just as agressive for the first 30 points of so. Just the 3724 stops and the belle keeps going. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I'm planning on doing the Ambre Amour recipe and had a couple questions for the seasoned Saison-ers. I am focusing on dry yeast for all my brews at the moment and have read here and other places that the Lallemand Belle Saison yeast can be a bit bland. I was wondering if anyone here has tried the Fermentis BE-134, which seems to be getting good reviews all over the place. My plan was to pitch around 20 and let free rise with an air lock. Any advice, on the yeast or the recipe, would be much appreciated.

1 hour ago, The Captain!! said:

BE-134 is a good yeast. It’s a beast too. 
it leaves mild funk but balanced.

That schedule will be great. 
As for the recipe, I think, yeah, why not. Having the amber colour and toast will and another dimension to a Saison.

Good luck with the brew

Captain

Awesome thanks. Yeah I'm looking to keep adding elements to my repertoire so I've been looking for recipes with grain steeps.

12 minutes ago, Ben 10 said:

Lol, never ever have i had bland from that yeast.

Honestly, it's partly because I had intended to make a Saison a few weeks ago but my LHBS only had a Belgian Ale yeast. So lately I've been left sipping my underwhelming Belgian Ale, pining after some proper funkiness. My plan for my entire homebrew journey has always been to have multiple goes at all my brews while doing slight tweaks. Give me a year and I want to be a hefeweizen and saison yeast guru. Or at least less of a rookie.

• 2 months later...

My Ambre Amour is now about 6 weeks old and is a fantastic beer. It's got good saison richness with only a small amount of lovely toastiness from the grain steep. It has one of the best head retentions of any beer I've made and is extremely sessionable.

• Like 5

On 4/7/2020 at 12:39 PM, Cassius said:

My Ambre Amour is now about 6 weeks old and is a fantastic beer. It's got good saison richness with only a small amount of lovely toastiness from the grain steep. It has one of the best head retentions of any beer I've made and is extremely sessionable.

Nice work congratulations 👍 

• Like 1