Coopers Community

Saison Recipes

So I was looking for a thread with saison recipes, and there lots out there but not in one place.

This is one I’m looking at doing soon. I wanted to do something inspired by tradition, but a bit different.

This is my take on something I’m looking to put down in a couple of weeks. Let me know what you think.

447785C2-2A90-4AF4-A77A-DB6303D9A50F.png

• Like 2

But definitely don’t let belle free rise if you don’t want funk. 
I think belle is a great yeast but find it produces some unwanted characters when let above say 19. And by unwanted, I mean funk but ugly funk, there are many more types of saison yeasts out there that provide  the desired funkiness. 

I'm drinking this ATM

Recipe: Black Saison
Brewer: Grumpy
Style: Black IPA
TYPE: All Grain

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------

Batch Size (fermenter): 21.00 L   
Estimated OG: 1.064 SG
Estimated Color: 74.3 EBC
Estimated IBU: 71.3 IBUs

Ingredients:
------------
Amt              Name                                             Type          #          %/IBU         Volume        
3.20 kg          Pale Malt, Maris Otter (5.9 EBC)                 Grain         1          56.1 %        2.09 L        
1.80 kg          Munich, Light (Joe White) (17.7 EBC)             Grain         2          31.6 %        1.17 L        
0.50 kg          Chocolate Malt (Joe White) (750.6 EBC)           Grain         3          8.8 %         0.33 L        
0.20 kg          Carafa III (Weyermann) (1034.2 EBC)              Grain         4          3.5 %         0.13 L        
50.00 g          Bramling Cross [6.30 %] - Boil 60.0 min          Hop           5          31.7 IBUs     -             
3.65 g           Brewbrite (Boil 10.0 mins)                       Fining        6          -             -             
50.00 g          Citra [13.50 %] - Steep/Whirlpool  20.0 min      Hop           7          20.6 IBUs     -             
50.00 g          Melba [12.50 %] - Steep/Whirlpool  20.0 min      Hop           8          19.0 IBUs     -             
1.0 pkg          French Saison (Wyeast Labs #3711) [50.28 ml]     Yeast         9          -             -             
50.00 g          Melba [12.50 %] - Dry Hop 0.0 Days               Hop           10         0.0 IBUs      -             

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

7%?

YUmmy

• Like 2

Hi @The Captain!! and @Ben 10

Is the dark malt in your recipes noticeable flavour-wise or just does it give you the black colour?

The Black IPA I did recently, and have posted about tonight has about twice as much base malt as your recipes.  The Carafa III and the Dark Chocolate in my recipe are not really noticeable in the beer.

16 hours ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

Hi @The Captain!! and @Ben 10

Is the dark malt in your recipes noticeable flavour-wise or just does it give you the black colour?

The Black IPA I did recently, and have posted about tonight has about twice as much base malt as your recipes.  The Carafa III and the Dark Chocolate in my recipe are not really noticeable in the beer.

Mine is for colour, I chose Choc wheat as it’s got the colour just no astringent flavours like black malt does. 
however you’ll still notice the flavour just not as much as other malts. 
If I was to do a black ipa. I would load it with the dark malt that doesn’t give ya the dark roast flavour

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

So had a sneaky try of the Oui Oui Bread Stick Saison yesterday. Only a week in the bottle but nicely carbonated and pretty dry. Very nice pale straw colour and a little cloudy from the wheat extract and some yeast still haven’t settled out in the bottle yet.

Nice floral aroma which I was aiming for from the late addition. Nice bitterness and a nice amount of funky from the yeast. Not too much but definitely more then when I used it with temp control last time.

Didn’t get a photo but will have to try another next weekend to see how it’s progressing.

Edited by NewBrews
  • Like 3

On 12/2/2019 at 5:24 PM, The Captain!! said:

@Ben 10

Ive taken a leaf from your book, I’ve bought two new fermenters and have placed them in the garage, going to be mid thirties all week. 
Started it at around 20-21. 

Hopefully don’t get those harsh phenols I prefer not to have in a beer. 

Disco-Stu1.gif

Disco Stu says, don't fear the funk Capt! 😜

Happy new year!

Lusty.

• Like 2

On 11/21/2019 at 11:47 AM, The Captain!! said:

But definitely don’t let belle free rise if you don’t want funk. 
I think belle is a great yeast but find it produces some unwanted characters when let above say 19. And by unwanted, I mean funk but ugly funk, there are many more types of saison yeasts out there that provide  the desired funkiness. 

I've used Belle Saison twice & both times I began the ferment @ around 23-24°C & allowed it to free rise under ambient conditions. Both turned out terrific with good funk.

You sound like a lager drinker Capt. 😜

Cheers,

Lusty.

4 hours ago, Beerlust said:

Both turned out terrific with good funk.

You sound like a lager drinker Capt. 😜

Ha ha ha now ya getting ahead of yaself. And I don’t fear the funk, I just wanted these to be a little more user friendly to others that drink in my house. 

The latest two finished really low. Could not be bothered with bottling them so bought another keg and banged then in there yesterday. 
The dark saison Sample with the farmhouse blend tasted really really good, slight funk, but no horse blanket. 
@Greeny1525229549 This is the yeast you suggested wyeast 3726. 
The lighter one is fruity as hell. Can’t wait to taste this carbed up. 

8 minutes ago, The Captain!! said:

Ha ha ha now ya getting ahead of yaself. And I don’t fear the funk, I just wanted these to be a little more user friendly to others that drink in my house. 

The latest two finished really low. Could not be bothered with bottling them so bought another keg and banged then in there yesterday. 
The dark saison Sample with the farmhouse blend tasted really really good, slight funk, but no horse blanket. 
@Greeny1525229549 This is the yeast you suggested wyeast 3726. 
The lighter one is fruity as hell. Can’t wait to taste this carbed up. 

Yeah mate if I was to pick a pure strain to use 3726 would be my pick. 3724 by itself is too funky for me and a PITA to ferment as it will stall guaranteed. Belle and French saison strains are too mild. My fav is still my Belle/3724 blend but want to make a 3724/3726 blend and see how that goes. Something for the new year.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Greeny1525229549 said:

Yeah mate if I was to pick a pure strain to use 3726 would be my pick. 3724 by itself is too funky for me and a PITA to ferment as it will stall guaranteed. Belle and French saison strains are too mild. My fav is still my Belle/3724 blend but want to make a 3724/3726 blend and see how that goes. Something for the new year.

24/26 blend sounds really good. Keep us posted on the results, 

There’s plenty of other mixed strains out there but a bit hard to get over here in the west. 
Cant wait to taste both of these.

9 hours ago, Greeny1525229549 said:

3724 by itself is too funky for me and a PITA to ferment as it will stall guaranteed. 

I've often wondered about the complaints brewers raise about this strain, & whether the problems arise by not allowing the ferment to free rise under suitable ambient conditions, or that the pitching temp is a bit low to begin with.

That said, it is recommended to begin the ferment with this strain, & then finish it off with a more aggressive strain. The effort to do so is apparently worth it.

I'd be reluctant to blend this strain with another for the beginning of the primary ferment as the '24' may not end up being the dominant strain with what it is matched with, thus I would suggest you will not gain the best attributes into the final beer from it by doing this.

Cheers & good brewing,

Lusty.

• Like 1