Coopers Community

Guinness Clone?

7 hours ago, Aussiekraut said:

You can't beat a freshly tapped Guinness in Ireland 🙂 Not the biggest Guinness fan but when in Ireland, you gotta have at least one 🙂  

I had a few at the Guinness Brewery in Dublin at the end of tour. My wife doesn't drink stout so I quickly downed 4 pints before heading to the Jameson Distillery. I had a nap at lunchtime.

• Haha 4

17 minutes ago, Hairy said:

I had a few at the Guinness Brewery in Dublin at the end of tour. My wife doesn't drink stout so I quickly downed 4 pints before heading to the Jameson Distillery. I had a nap at lunchtime.

Yeah I tried to convince wifey to join me at Smithwicks in Kilkenny, so I can get more tasters but she really didn't want to 🙂 Jameson in Dublin was good but in Midleton was better and for a reasonable price offered a tasting flight with some of the more upmarket Whiskeys. Didn't have a nap but certainly didn't drive that day 🙂 

• Haha 1

Graham Wheeler (I think) once commented that Guinness has citric acid added to mimic the light souring that it used to get from the addition of acid beer in the comments section here:

http://barclayperkins.blogspot.com/2011/04/stock-ale-in-early-19th-century.html?m=1

This article describes how Guinness was made in the 1940s...

"O.B.S.: old beer storage is old acid beer that, like barm beer, improves the flavour of the finished beer although it is itself very unpleasant."

https://boakandbailey.com/2018/08/the-magic-guinness-blend-c-1939/

Edited by Phil_McGlass
Updated
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, Bearded Burbler said:

Anyone had much to do with the Beamish? 

I have very good memories of it when I was in the Land of Pom.... was terribly more-ish…. 

Wouldn't mind brewing an AG of the Beamish iff poss...

Beamish Stout? I sunk a few in Ireland earlier this year. Very nice brew. 🙂 

• Like 1

Yeah loved Beamish but was not such a huuuuge fan of Murphys - a little tad sweet for what I thought... 

But Beamish..... ahhhhh just delectable.... a bit like the "Guinnless"…. but somehow a touch more malt character and an aggravated more-ish-ness ; )

• Like 1