Coopers Community

Guinness Clone?

While browsing around I found this recipe. I have been known to have a go at drinking my weight in Guinness so thought, Hmm... 😄

Storing it here for others to try and so I can come back to it once I start graining it. 

Recipe is:
12 oz roasted barley (340g)
4 oz 55 L Crystal Malt Steep for 30 minutes @ 150-153 degrees F (113g)
24 oz flaked barley (680g)
6 # Lite DME (3kg Light Dry Malt)
1 oz EKG @ 4% -60 min (28g)
8 oz malto-dextrin powder (225g)
1 tsp. Irish Moss (???)
WLP004 Irish Ale Yeast (presume =>11g)
2 TBSP Lactic acid at bottling! (???)
Primary 1 week @ 68 degrees F
Secondary: 1 week @ 66-68 degrees F
3/4 c. corn sugar for priming -bottles

So comments please on my thoughts here...

This is boil approx 1 kg grains (2 x barley) + the 3 kg DME + the maltodextrin. (How long is normal for this?)

60 mins before ending boil, add EKG

After boil, wait for temp to drop to under 70°C then teabag the Crystal Malt for 30 mins (and remove?)

Irish Moss? An algae? Or is this a liquid extract thing?

Lactic acid - To reduce sourness? A pH level adjustment?

Edited by Journeyman
smelling pistakes

5 minutes ago, Journeyman said:

This is boil approx 1 kg grains (2 x barley) + the 3 kg DME + the maltodextrin. (How long is normal for this?)

Unsure what you mean by this. Are you going to boil the grains?

Skip the Irish Moss (useful in full batch all grain)

Skip the lactic acid.

What are you going to do with the flaked barley?

1 minute ago, Ben 10 said:

Unsure what you mean by this. Are you going to boil the grains?

Skip the Irish Moss (useful in full batch all grain)

Skip the lactic acid.

What are you going to do with the flaked barley?

Boil the grains is a wild guess - what I saw is what I posted, along with what I thought might be meant.

I thought maybe the roasted and flaked barley go together - different tastes/effects from full kernel versus flaked?

Irish Moss - so not for a specific taste or something?

Lactic acid - why do you think they mention it? What might they have been trying to achieve?

Is this not an All grain batch? Or does the DME make it not all grain?

Irish Moss is used as a fining in the boil. Ie it aids is clumping together proteins that can cause haze and can cause staling. Only useful in all grain batches.

All Grain does not use DME. No idea on the lactic acid at bottling. Seems odd.

If doing it that way the first three ingredients would be in the steep BUT the flacked barkley should be in a mash so the starch is broken down. It's not going to provide any sugars for fermenting if not exposed to any enzymes.

• Thanks 1

Thanks for your replies. It helps not just with this recipe but also in understanding the processes.

So, can't join where I found it & it's from 2008 but found another of similar type with instructions. http://homebrewingcaps.com/home-brew-guinness/

So, boil the water, turn it off and add roasted barley and crystal malt, then after steeping, remove the grains. Then boil and add the flaked barley and DME? 

That byo method points out some areas I need to learn about before moving off kits. 😄

The ahb method further down the page uses gypsum - to raise the pH of the water? If so, is that because Irish water is typically more alkaline or is there a brewing reason?

"Step 4) There is a peculiar extra step that is unique to home brew Guinness. When making Guinness you need to add a soured Guinness to the newly brewed batch. Basically you need to leave an opened Guinness out in a bowl for a week or so and then freeze it until you need it. Then when your at Step 3) in the brewing process above you add the soured Guinness to the brew! Very strange but it works to create that unique Guinness taste."

This is not the first time I have seen this advice...

Edited by Journeyman

I have not noticed Guinness tasting sour.
I have no idea on that and I'll leave it alone then.

22 minutes ago, Journeyman said:

So, boil the water, turn it off and add roasted barley and crystal malt, then after steeping, remove the grains. Then boil and add the flaked barley and DME? 

I'd heat the water to 70°c then add all the grains. That includes the flaked barley. Although I have no idea why that is in there.

In fact I'll just go back to drinkingm y Flanders.

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Ben 10 said:

In fact I'll just go back to drinkingm y Flanders.

There do seem better ways to enjoy a beer than mystifying recipes. 😄

If I get to trying to make a Guinness clone I will report back on how it went.

Thanks for your time and info.

I have heard that Guinness is slightly soured, which is probably the reason for the lactic acid. 

With the boil, you don't boil the grains or the entire amount of dry malt. The grains are cracked and steeped in water around 70 degrees (not just off the boil), then removed after half an hour or so. The resultant liquid is then boiled, or additional water and some of the malt extract is added, then it's boiled and the hop additions made.

You'd probably only need 2-3 litres to steep the grains, but a boil will need to be bigger especially of you're boiling it for a full hour. How big a boil can you do?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

If your happy to experiment with kits for a few batches before doing this ag recipe, obviously coopers international series "irish stout "+ "be3" is a good start, but i have heard that the muntons "mountmellick famous irish stout" is excellent. I love Guinness not so much through the summer though. 

• Like 1

Guinness is sooo overrated. Does anyone drink it or just vomit it? Quote Paul Kelly!!

I vote for Best Extra Stout everytime.

Base is Coopers Stout Extract & go from there with some roasted barley. Beaut Brew.

Whack it in your FV & tell us what you think?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, YeastyBoy said:

Guinness is sooo overrated. Does anyone drink it or just vomit it? Quote Paul Kelly!!

I vote for Best Extra Stout everytime.

Base is Coopers Stout Extract & go from there with some roasted barley. Beaut Brew.

Whack it in your FV & tell us what you think?

+1 on that. Never been a fan. There are better stouts out there.

Guinness on tap very much depends where you get it. Best I had was in Bath in England, best in Oz was at PJ O'Briens in Melbourne. Done right there's nothing sour about it, mouth feel is pure cream and the head holds all the way to the bottom. 

Done poorly, (Hong Kong) I'd rather drink Singha 😄

I'll be after tryin' the Irish versions mentioned above. 😄

40 minutes ago, Journeyman said:

Guinness on tap very much depends where you get it. Best I had was in Bath in England, best in Oz was at PJ O'Briens in Melbourne. Done right there's nothing sour about it, mouth feel is pure cream and the head holds all the way to the bottom. 

Done poorly, (Hong Kong) I'd rather drink Singha 😄

I'll be after tryin' the Irish versions mentioned above. 😄

You can't beat a freshly tapped Guinness in Ireland 🙂 Not the biggest Guinness fan but when in Ireland, you gotta have at least one 🙂  

• Like 1