Coopers Community

Coopers Pale Ale - Final Gravity

Hi guys - brewing my first brew with Coopers Pale Ale.  Followed all the instructions etc.  I've only deviated by buying a heat belt half way through and addit it - first five days was 18C then the last has been 24C. 

It's been 8 days since first brew and for two days the gravity reading is a steady 1.006.  I'm sort of a 'follow the instructions' sort of chap but I note that the pale ale instructions don't indicate a final gravity readin to go by.  A lot of other recipes do.  

So...... should I bottle now at FG 1.006 or is this not a good range for it to be in - e.g. have I stuffed it up etc?

Happy for comments guys as I couldn't find a thread on this FG reading for pale ale (happy to be pointed in the right direction.)

Terry

Hi Mate. Everything sounds fine. It's done. Been brewing just over a year myself and not had a brew get down that low, but I brew with a lot of malt, so that's probably why.

Get it bttled and leave in a warm spot for a couple of weeks.

It's relative to your original gravity. The difference between that and your final gravity (stable reading over a couple of days) gives you the ABV.

A basic kit brew with Coopers BE1 or 2 will end up around 4.2% when you've included the 0.4% the sugar adds for bottle conditioning.

Edited by Lab Rat

You're doing Ok.  As a rule of thumb for Coopers Pale Ale 2 weeks in the fermenter and 4 weeks in the bottle. The Coopers kit yeast is very forgiving in respect with getting the FV temperature spot on.  Don't be to concerned about the final gravity.  If it doesn't change after a couple of consecutive readings towards the end of 2 weeks it will be fine for bottling. 

6 minutes ago, Pickles Jones said:

You're doing Ok.  As a rule of thumb for Coopers Pale Ale 2 weeks in the fermenter and 4 weeks in the bottle.

That's really personal preference, a simple brew will be done in 7 days. Some will leave it a few days longer for yeast to clean up, and/or cold crash it for a week. I only crash for a few days if I bother. I bottle mine around day 12 and start drinking after 2 weeks in the bottle. Some beers get better the longer they're kept, but my pales tend to lose most of the hoppy flavours after a couple of months.

• Like 2

18 degrees is perfect for the yeast in that kit, if or when you do more brews with it then aim to ferment at this temperature. It can be raised after a few days like you did but it doesn't need to go as high as 24. 21/22 is warm enough. 

Any standard ale will, or should, be done (at FG) in 7 days or sooner, however while it is optional, it is also beneficial to leave it for another few days to let the yeast finish their job properly, i.e. clean up. Cold crashing is obviously optional. 

What did you mix with the kit when you made it up? 1.006 sounds pretty low if it was any of the brew enhancers. 1kg of sugar or dextrose would end up low though. 

• Like 1

Hi - I just purchased the coopers pale ale and required brew enhancers as dictated by the pale ale package.  I just double checked the gravity and it's actually 1.008 - the gravity stick was sticking to the side of the cylinder a bit so had to keep it central in the middle of the brew.  I might bottle tomorrow and see how I go.  

Out of interest - I assumed that the gravity reading was low - what would the desired FG be or is it different each time?

Thanks for your responses - it all assists.

• 1 year later...
On 9/1/2019 at 5:03 PM, Tezza_Crowe said:

Hi guys - brewing my first brew with Coopers Pale Ale.  Followed all the instructions etc.  I've only deviated by buying a heat belt half way through and addit it - first five days was 18C then the last has been 24C. 

It's been 8 days since first brew and for two days the gravity reading is a steady 1.006.  I'm sort of a 'follow the instructions' sort of chap but I note that the pale ale instructions don't indicate a final gravity readin to go by.  A lot of other recipes do.  

So...... should I bottle now at FG 1.006 or is this not a good range for it to be in - e.g. have I stuffed it up etc?

Happy for comments guys as I couldn't find a thread on this FG reading for pale ale (happy to be pointed in the right direction.)

Terry

1.006 ? Guys , why is NOBODY saying

" Wow really 1.006? Thats low for a beer!!"

that has fermented the hell out if it already , FG lower than that is only seen in cider etc 

We dont know what his OG was but if its a beer, in 99% of cases you cant expect to get lower than 1.006 as an FG on a beer and thems' the facts.

4 hours ago, CLASSIC said:

On the subject of Pale Ale I started a Country Brewer 'WALS PALE ALE'    SG was 1040   day 7 1024   day 11 1016   hoping to get down a bit by day 14.

I would have thought after 14 days it might be safe to bottle, what do you reckon the safest FG to bottle is ?

Cheers.

The one that is the same as the day before's.

Your brew is already pretty close to what would be a suitable SG for bottling. If it drops a couple more points and then stabilises,  you're goid to go.

Eleven days is a little bit long to finish off though.  Is your temperature a bit low?  Like sub 18C?