Coopers Community

Good to see one can learn from the Coopers Community

Marty_G

Put down a "Brew A IPA" the other day with 1kg of LDM and my 3rd use of a washed US05 .... I had 50g of centennial hops and did a 30 minute flame out of 25g and intended to dry hop the other 25g  ... yesterday was at the LHBS and picked up some Citra and thought I would dry hop with those instead  .... so now to my point .... thought I should just check that I was doing the right thing so did a bit of googling and low and behold there was a recipe similar using the same hops and processes ...  unbeknownst to me  Centennial and Citra complement themselves and are used in IPA often ....    I was a tad proud of myself ... and thought I must be getting the hang of this brewing caper ... so a huge thanks to all the contributors obviously reading posts is good for the knowledge bank ... 

• Like 6

15 minutes ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

Centennial and mosaic is also a good combo. Good luck with the brew!

I've just bottled an IPA with 260g of Centennial and Mosaic, they compliment each other great.

52 minutes ago, MartyG1525230263 said:

Put down a "Brew A IPA" the other day with 1kg of LDM and my 3rd use of a washed US05 .... I had 50g of centennial hops and did a 30 minute flame out of 25g and intended to dry hop the other 25g  ... yesterday was at the LHBS and picked up some Citra and thought I would dry hop with those instead  .... so now to my point .... thought I should just check that I was doing the right thing so did a bit of googling and low and behold there was a recipe similar using the same hops and processes ...  unbeknownst to me  Centennial and Citra complement themselves and are used in IPA often ....    I was a tad proud of myself ... and thought I must be getting the hang of this brewing caper ... so a huge thanks to all the contributors obviously reading posts is good for the knowledge bank ... 

Love Citra, such a great hop and pretty much works well with most hops that i've paired it with.

• Like 3

Can I just add to this thread and echo the sentiments above. I’ve been watching a lot of all grain videos lately and I like to think I’m learning the science behind brewing. With no chill I always wondered why brewers advocated reducing the amount of boil time for hops as they could continue to isomerise in the cube. I always wondered that if you took the hops out of the wort before transferring to cube then how can they continue to add bittering. But it’s just clicked that it’s the oils from the hops in the wort that will continue to isomerise and therefore it’s advised to maybe take 5 mins off each of your addition to counter the effects of the hops in a hot cube 

Am I on the right lines or waaaaay off 😂

15 minutes ago, PaddyBrew2 said:

Can I just add to this thread and echo the sentiments above. I’ve been watching a lot of all grain videos lately and I like to think I’m learning the science behind brewing. With no chill I always wondered why brewers advocated reducing the amount of boil time for hops as they could continue to isomerise in the cube. I always wondered that if you took the hops out of the wort before transferring to cube then how can they continue to add bittering. But it’s just clicked that it’s the oils from the hops in the wort that will continue to isomerise and therefore it’s advised to maybe take 5 mins off each of your addition to counter the effects of the hops in a hot cube 

Right line.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, PaddyBrew2 said:

Think I’m gonna have to give you a cube, so you can ferment to see what the taste is like against the recipe so you can see how the recipe comes together in the glass. 

• Like 1

I no chill. Rather than readjusting shit, I just create the hop schedule to suit the process and my tastes. I have different ones for different styles but they've all been worked out over a few batches. 

If they were to be brewed on a chilled system, the late hop additions would probably move a bit, but it's not in my mind when I make a recipe. 

Keep in mind, early boil additions (50-60+ minutes) are unaffected. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

I no chill. Rather than readjusting shit, I just create the hop schedule to suit the process and my tastes. I have different ones for different styles but they've all been worked out over a few batches. 

If they were to be brewed on a chilled system, the late hop additions would probably move a bit, but it's not in my mind when I make a recipe. 

Keep in mind, early boil additions (50-60+ minutes) are unaffected. 

1 hour ago, PaddyBrew2 said:

Do you readjust your hop additions or just go with the recipe 

I don’t adjust as I’ve honed my beer just like Otto has, over brewing batches. 

You need to brew on your system to understand your system and processes, then recipe formulate from there, adjust and improve your beer for your tastes. 

1 hour ago, PaddyBrew2 said:

Ahhhhhh. So sugars remain and are more concentrated therefore gravity increases?

Yep, precisely 

Im honestly up to give you a cube of wort if you want. No skin off my nose. You’ll taste all grain home brew then too.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Haha all good.  You’re a week too late. I was down Manjimup last weekend visiting in-laws. Drove through bunners on the way home. Between you me and the four walls, I sneakily hid $200 from my pay this week  to go towards a robobrew and she’s none the wiser. The joy of joint bank accounts due to my residency visa. Another two pay cheque’s and I’ll have my robobrew, ingredients for first recipe and some shiny knobs and knockers to go with it ( mash paddle , refractometer, no chill cube, urn jacket to name a few)

hence why I’ve been brushing up

more on the science side of things lately 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, PaddyBrew2 said:

Haha all good.  You’re a week too late. I was down Manjimup last weekend visiting in-laws. Drove through bunners on the way home. Between you me and the four walls, I sneakily hid $200 from my pay this week  to go towards a robobrew and she’s none the wiser. The joy of joint bank accounts due to my residency visa. Another two pay cheque’s and I’ll have my robobrew, ingredients for first recipe and some shiny knobs and knockers to go with it ( mash paddle , refractometer, no chill cube, urn jacket to name a few)

hence why I’ve been brushing up

more on the science side of things lately 

Ha ha ha you cheeky man! 

You better hope your partner isn’t a member of the coopers forum keeping a eye on ya ha ha

All good though mate, offer is always there

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, The Captain!! said:

Ha ha ha you cheeky man! 

You better hope your partner isn’t a member of the coopers forum keeping a eye on ya ha ha

All good though mate, offer is always there

Much appreciated