Coopers Community

Coopers Recipe Spreadsheet

@Malter White @Kegory thanks very much for the mention, but @Shamus O'Sean is the man. Without SOS (such a fitting acronym 😉) we wouldn’t have this valuable resource maintained. 
On the other hand, if there’s any workbook maintenance or enhancements that are needed, then I’m more than happy to help wherever I can. 👨🏼‍💻

Cheers ta cold beers 🍺🍺🍺🍺

Vince

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

52 minutes ago, Triple B Brewing said:

@Malter White @Kegory thanks very much for the mention, but @Shamus O'Sean is the man. Without SOS (such a fitting acronym 😉) we wouldn’t have this valuable resource maintained. 
On the other hand, if there’s any workbook maintenance or enhancements that are needed, then I’m more than happy to help wherever I can. 👨🏼‍💻

Cheers ta cold beers 🍺🍺🍺🍺

Vince

Good on you, Vince. I haven't been here as much as I used to be and it seemed like you may have had a collaboration going on with The Guru, Shamus. The recipe spreadsheet is a great tool.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Malter White said:

Good on you, Vince. I haven't been here as much as I used to be and it seemed like you may have had a collaboration going on with The Guru, Shamus. The recipe spreadsheet is a great tool.

Thanks @Malter White yep a couple of months ago now I had a spare hour or three and I enjoy the challenge and the amazing functionality of excel, so I had a go at reeving up a couple of things on the spreadsheet, but it’s @Shamus O'Sean who really is the guy who does the most purposeful work by maintaining the spreadsheet and ensuring it’s updated with the latest recipes 

I worked out a formula for recipes with multiple Extracts used to identify what Cooper's Kits are listed as Can 1, 2 and or 3 and in which recipes which you may or may not find of interest/use. 

Cheers to ya @Malter White 🍺🍺🍺🍺

• Like 5

Hi Shamus, ( who looks suspiciously like Lemmy! 😀 ), thanks for your spreadsheets and all the work you have put into them and also to Thirsty Jim for the same. I have been brewing for many years, am not really into Excel etc. and have always gone the long way round to recipes BUT your work is making the light at the end of the tunnel bloody close! I enjoy experimenting and creating new brews but only as far as using either hopped or unhopped malt extracts as, at the moment, I don't want to put the time into full mash/grain brewing. Maybe sometime in the future... The ingredients that are available these days is incredible compared to early days in home brewing and, I think, we are so lucky to have the resources available to us today, which includes people like yourself.

So thanks again and let's go create some more awesome brews!! 😁

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, DaveL1 said:

Hi Shamus, ( who looks suspiciously like Lemmy! 😀 ), thanks for your spreadsheets and all the work you have put into them and also to Thirsty Jim for the same. I have been brewing for many years, am not really into Excel etc. and have always gone the long way round to recipes BUT your work is making the light at the end of the tunnel bloody close! I enjoy experimenting and creating new brews but only as far as using either hopped or unhopped malt extracts as, at the moment, I don't want to put the time into full mash/grain brewing. Maybe sometime in the future... The ingredients that are available these days is incredible compared to early days in home brewing and, I think, we are so lucky to have the resources available to us today, which includes people like yourself.

So thanks again and let's go create some more awesome brews!! 😁

You're welcome Dave.  Recent enhancements by @Triple B Brewing have really helped too.

I have not got around to adding this month's Recipes of the Month yet.  However, I will do it soon.

Cheers Shamus

• Thanks 1

Coopers Recipe Spreadsheet - October 2023

Hi Team

Latest Coopers Recipe Spreadsheet is attached.  October 2023 ROTM added: Hop Slam IPA (NZ Superdelic) & Desert Oasis Amber Ale.

Click on the recipe name for pdf's of these recipes.

A reminder that @Triple B Brewing added some functionality to the Coopers Recipe Spreadsheet.  Hence the new version numbering.  Triple B Brewing has:

• Macro enabled the spreadsheet and updated it with a code which will provide an automatic revision date (at cell B1) each time the sheet is edited and saved
  • Has also brought over the worksheets of “Cooper's Kits”, “Legend” and “Colour” from @Thirsty Jim’s workbook.
  • Has added a formula and look up within the "Cooper's Kits" worksheet under the heading Recipes with multiple Extracts Used to identify what Cooper's Kits are listed as Can 1, 2 and or 3 and in which recipes.
  • Has also found Thirsty’s Recipe Scaler so TBB reeved that up a tad and also added it to the workbook.

Coopers Recipe Spreadsheet V3.10.23.xlsm

Spreadsheet functionality: 

• Links to Recipe artwork and pdf of most recipes at the far right. Handy if you want to make bottle or beer tap labels.
  • You can click on the recipe name to jump to the recipe on the Coopers website (for those in au only)
  • The little triangle icons beside each column title are auto-filters and can be used to sort the spreadsheet by the respective column.
  • You can also use the drop boxes of the variables in each column to show those variables you want to see.  
  • For example, under Difficulty if you choose the Easy variable then only those recipes rated as Easy will be displayed.
  • Or under Can 1, if you choose Real Ale only those recipes that have the Original Series Real Ale (as the main recipe can) will be displayed.  
  • Even better, in the Coopers Kits tab, you can see Triple B's table "Recipes with multiple Extracts Used" to identify what Cooper's Kits are listed as Can 1, 2 and or 3 and in which recipes.  Use this table if you have a can of, say English Bitter, and you want to know what recipes you can make with it.
  • Any queries?  Post them to this thread.
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 3

3 hours ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

Coopers Recipe Spreadsheet - October 2023

Hi Team

Latest Coopers Recipe Spreadsheet is attached.  October 2023 ROTM added: Hop Slam IPA (NZ Superdelic) & Desert Oasis Amber Ale.

Click on the recipe name for pdf's of these recipes.

A reminder that @Triple B Brewing added some functionality to the Coopers Recipe Spreadsheet.  Hence the new version numbering.  Triple B Brewing has:

• Macro enabled the spreadsheet and updated it with a code which will provide an automatic revision date (at cell B1) each time the sheet is edited and saved
  • Has also brought over the worksheets of “Cooper's Kits”, “Legend” and “Colour” from @Thirsty Jim’s workbook.
  • Has added a formula and look up within the "Cooper's Kits" worksheet under the heading Recipes with multiple Extracts Used to identify what Cooper's Kits are listed as Can 1, 2 and or 3 and in which recipes.
  • Has also found Thirsty’s Recipe Scaler so TBB reeved that up a tad and also added it to the workbook.

Coopers Recipe Spreadsheet V3.10.23.xlsm 269.17 kB · 2 downloads

• Links to Recipe artwork and pdf of most recipes at the far right. Handy if you want to make bottle or beer tap labels.
  • You can click on the recipe name to jump to the recipe on the Coopers website (for those in au only)
  • The little triangle icons beside each column title are auto-filters and can be used to sort the spreadsheet by the respective column.
  • You can also use the drop boxes of the variables in each column to show those variables you want to see.  
  • For example, under Difficulty if you choose the Easy variable then only those recipes rated as Easy will be displayed.
  • Or under Can 1, if you choose Real Ale only those recipes that have the Original Series Real Ale (as the main recipe can) will be displayed.  
  • Even better, in the Coopers Kits tab, you can see Triple B's table "Recipes with multiple Extracts Used" to identify what Cooper's Kits are listed as Can 1, 2 and or 3 and in which recipes.  Use this table if you have a can of, say English Bitter, and you want to know what recipes you can make with it.

Thanks for your continued work keeping this resource updated with the latest information @Shamus O'Sean, it’s greatly appreciated 👏

Cheers n cold beers cobber 🍺 🍺🍺🍺

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Coopers Recipe Spreadsheet - November 2023

Hi Team

Latest Coopers Recipe Spreadsheet is attached.  November 2023 ROTM added:  Coopers Australian Lager & Trail Trekker Pale Ale.

Click on the recipe name for pdf's of these recipes.

Coopers Recipe Spreadsheet V3.11.23.xlsm

• Even better, in the Coopers Kits tab, you can see @Triple B Brewing's table "Recipes with multiple Extracts Used" to identify what Cooper's Kits are listed as Can 1, 2 and or 3 and in which recipes.  Use this table if you have a can of, say English Bitter, and you want to know what recipes you can make with it.
  • TBB also brought over the worksheets of “Cooper's Kits”, “Legend” and “Colour” from @Thirsty Jim’s workbook and also found Thirsty’s Recipe Scaler so TBB revved that up a tad and also added it to the workbook.
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 6

27 minutes ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

Coopers Recipe Spreadsheet - November 2023

Hi Team

Latest Coopers Recipe Spreadsheet is attached.  November 2023 ROTM added:  Coopers Australian Lager & Trail Trekker Pale Ale.

Click on the recipe name for pdf's of these recipes.

Coopers Recipe Spreadsheet V3.11.23.xlsm 271.03 kB · 0 downloads

• Even better, in the Coopers Kits tab, you can see @Triple B Brewing's table "Recipes with multiple Extracts Used" to identify what Cooper's Kits are listed as Can 1, 2 and or 3 and in which recipes.  Use this table if you have a can of, say English Bitter, and you want to know what recipes you can make with it.
  • TBB also brought over the worksheets of “Cooper's Kits”, “Legend” and “Colour” from @Thirsty Jim’s workbook and also found Thirsty’s Recipe Scaler so TBB revved that up a tad and also added it to the workbook.

Thanks again for your time to keep this resource updated with the latest recipes for us all @Shamus O'Sean - as always, it’s greatly appreciated 👏🍺🍺🍺🍺

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Coopers Recipe Spreadsheet - December 2023

Hi Team

Latest Coopers Recipe Spreadsheet is attached.  December 2023 ROTM added: Holly-Haze IPA & Razzmatazz Raspberry Sour.

Click on the recipe name in red for pdf's of these recipes.

Coopers Recipe Spreadsheet V3.12.23.xlsm

• Even better, in the Coopers Kits tab, you can see @Triple B Brewing's table "Recipes with multiple Extracts Used" to identify what Cooper's Kits are listed as Can 1, 2 and or 3 and in which recipes.  Use this table if you have a can of, say English Bitter, and you want to know what recipes you can make with it.
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 3

@Coopers DIY Beer Team I'm sure you'd agree that Shamus, Thirsty Jim and Triple B are fine ambassadors for the DIY cause.
The recipe spreadsheet is a great tool for many of us.
I doubt there's anyone that's used the spreadsheet that would complain if you sent these chaps a slab for Christmas as a mark of goodwill. I'd send them a slab of my own brews but they probably have enough drain cleaner as it is. 🙂 
Merry Christmas one and all. xx

• Haha 6

1 hour ago, Malter White said:

@Coopers DIY Beer Team I'm sure you'd agree that Shamus, Thirsty Jim and Triple B are fine ambassadors for the DIY cause.
The recipe spreadsheet is a great tool for many of us.
I doubt there's anyone that's used the spreadsheet that would complain if you sent these chaps a slab for Christmas as a mark of goodwill. I'd send them a slab of my own brews but they probably have enough drain cleaner as it is. 🙂 
Merry Christmas one and all. xx

Thanks for your support @Malter White,  you're a ripper, you really made me LMAO - HEE !!. However I gotta say, it's clearly @Shamus O'Sean who is the tireless member here, taking up the mantle and carrying on the great work @Thirsty Jim started by updating this spreadsheet each and every month with the latest recipes and labels. Yep, its Shamus really who best fits the term "fine ambassadors for the DIY cause". His instals state it all really SOS 😉🥇

laughing-out-loud-coffee-lmao-splash-8lng5ea8v11v31uo.gif.d31381bc73b9b98a73147d1a9fe4f992.gif

And a very Merry Christmas to all from me as well, hoping you can all spend it with someone close and make wonderful memories !

Cheers 'n cold beers 🍺🍺🍺🍺

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Malter White said:

@Triple B Brewing What?!! You don't want a slab? 😆

@Malter White never let it be said I turned down a fee beer - that is just simply not on.  
Of course a slab of Coopers finest would be a very welcomed addition to any Christmas get together thank you 

WOOHOO - if it’s on, I’m in 🥳 🙌👏👏😎🍺🍺🍺🍺🍺😋

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

• 1 month later...

Coopers Recipe Spreadsheet - January 2024

Hi Team

Latest Coopers Recipe Spreadsheet is attached.  January 2014 ROTM added: Midnight Sun Kveik IPA & Stone's Throw Apricot Ale

Coopers Recipe Spreadsheet V3.01.24.xlsm

• Even better, in the Coopers Kits tab, you can see @Triple B Brewing's table "Recipes with multiple Extracts Used" to identify what Cooper's Kits are listed as Can 1, 2 and or 3 and in which recipes.  Use this table if you have a can of, say English Bitter, and you want to know what recipes you can make with it.
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Coopers Recipe Spreadsheet - February 2024

Hi Team

Latest Coopers Recipe Spreadsheet is attached.  February 2014 ROTM added: That's Amore Italian Pils & Good Vibes American Pale Ale.

Coopers Recipe Spreadsheet V3.02.24.xlsm

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

Coopers Recipe Spreadsheet - February 2024

Hi Team

Latest Coopers Recipe Spreadsheet is attached.  February 2014 ROTM added: That's Amore Italian Pils & Good Vibes American Pale Ale.

Coopers Recipe Spreadsheet V3.02.24.xlsm 276.65 kB · 2 downloads

@Shamus O'Sean thank you for your continued work, kindly keeping us supplied with an updated list of Coopers Recipes - it’s greatly appreciated mate 👏

Cheers to cold beers 🍺🍺🍺🍺

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/22/2020 at 6:27 PM, pU5FA8s8 said:

Hi all, long time stalker first time talker.

It's occurred to me that this information could be very easily represented as a website, with all the same filtering etc. functionality, and a bunch of other benefits like being accessible to anyone on any device with a web browser (no need for VPN, no need to install Excel/Office/GoogleSheets etc.), and easily updatable by "select Community leaders" (ie. Shamus and/or nominees), and probably all for a few bucks a month (if done right, in the cloud).

I'm tempted to have a crack at setting this up myself, but before I do I wanted to ask whether this would be of interest, and/or acceptable, and/or a good idea? I don't want to detract from the hard work of Shamus and others collating the information...

On 11/22/2020 at 10:33 PM, Shamus O'Sean said:

Hi PU5FA8S8 and welcome to the Community.

Feel free to have a crack.  You sound much more technologically savvy than me.  You might not get many donations to cover costs though.

I keep the spreadsheet up to date for my needs.  After a while I got to thinking that other brewers on here might use it too.  I was inspired to post it a while back by @Thirsty Jim.  Jim started his first and when he trailed off, I jumped in with my version.  If somebody else comes up with a better system, easier to use, with similar and better functionality, I would happily let my spreadsheet become part of history.  I would happily volunteer to keep such a web-based system updated too.  I just would need some guidance on how to do it. 

So... I've finally managed to ringfence enough time to work on this idea, and get it to a point where I'm OK with the first draft. It is not yet ready to be a spreadsheet replacement (most significantly, I still need to build an easy way for "people who aren't me" to add/edit recipe listings) but the look and feel should be quite familiar.

If you're interested, you can find it here: homebr.au

A few notable features above/beyond the spreadsheet:

• There's a global search box at the top that will allow you to instantly search all fields across all recipes (case insensitive).
  • You can sort any column by simply clicking on the column header (ascending/descending).
  • You can also filter any specific column or combination of columns:
    • numerical columns will let you set a range.
    • text columns will let you type in anything (case insensitive), OR choose from a dropdown.
  • Clicking an individual recipe name still takes you to that recipe on the Coopers website, same as the spreadsheet.
  • It's designed to be extremely lightweight (and therefore cheap to run). No data collection, no ads, heavily cached. Downloading the entire thing only uses about 40% of the bandwidth compared to downloading the current spreadsheet. If I'm lucky, the only ongoing cost will be the annual domain name renewal.
  • The whole website will still work offline... no seriously, try it: reload the site a couple times, then put your device into Airplane mode or yank your ethernet cable out, it'll still work just fine. My brews happen out in the garage where the wifi sucks, I wanted to be able to still look stuff up out there, and I'm assuming I'm not the only one.
  • It can also work as an app (which may make it easier to use from a phone). Your browser will have an install icon in the address bar (or an install option in a menu somewhere). And the app will also work offline, just like the webpage. Feel free to use it (or not).
  • And a number of other visual things (eg. it works in dark mode, the EBC values have been individually tuned to show the correct colour, if you have to scroll vertically the table header stays pinned, etc...)

I would be interested in the community's thoughts/feedback.

Edited by pU5FA8s8
  • Like 3

Picking an example... show me all recipes that:

• Contain the word "dex" anywhere (using global search here because it could be in a number of different columns), and
  • have at least 40 IBUs, and
  • have no more than 100 EBC, and
  • sort the list from strongest ABV down to weakest.

image.thumb.png.bf765798dc875f3ae1263d81e1bbb733.png

• Like 3

@pU5FA8s8 congratulations, it looks very good. and certainly, loads very quick.  I will have to have a play around with it and explore. 

Years ago, I started to design a web base database for the Coopers kits and recipe's and damn near got it finished but boy was it a rod for my back.  Constantly programming in new features, debugging, testing and clipping, cropping images and adding links to embed and then trying to keep it all up to date, well it all just got too much for me, wore me down and in the end, I just had to let that project slide. 

Afterall I was retiring and wanted to use the best time in my life for the best times of my life.

Well done and thanks for the effort and all that work I say. 👍

• Like 1

On 3/2/2024 at 4:02 AM, pU5FA8s8 said:

So... I've finally managed to ringfence enough time to work on this idea, and get it to a point where I'm OK with the first draft. It is not yet ready to be a spreadsheet replacement (most significantly, I still need to build an easy way for "people who aren't me" to add/edit recipe listings) but the look and feel should be quite familiar.

If you're interested, you can find it here: homebr.au

A few notable features above/beyond the spreadsheet:

• There's a global search box at the top that will allow you to instantly search all fields across all recipes (case insensitive).
  • You can sort any column by simply clicking on the column header (ascending/descending).
  • You can also filter any specific column or combination of columns:
    • numerical columns will let you set a range.
    • text columns will let you type in anything (case insensitive), OR choose from a dropdown.
  • Clicking an individual recipe name still takes you to that recipe on the Coopers website, same as the spreadsheet.
  • It's designed to be extremely lightweight (and therefore cheap to run). No data collection, no ads, heavily cached. Downloading the entire thing only uses about 40% of the bandwidth compared to downloading the current spreadsheet. If I'm lucky, the only ongoing cost will be the annual domain name renewal.
  • The whole website will still work offline... no seriously, try it: reload the site a couple times, then put your device into Airplane mode or yank your ethernet cable out, it'll still work just fine. My brews happen out in the garage where the wifi sucks, I wanted to be able to still look stuff up out there, and I'm assuming I'm not the only one.
  • It can also work as an app (which may make it easier to use from a phone). Your browser will have an install icon in the address bar (or an install option in a menu somewhere). And the app will also work offline, just like the webpage. Feel free to use it (or not).
  • And a number of other visual things (eg. it works in dark mode, the EBC values have been individually tuned to show the correct colour, if you have to scroll vertically the table header stays pinned, etc...)

I would be interested in the community's thoughts/feedback.

Very impressive.  I like it.  I know it is a work in progress (and it has progressed very well).  Here are some extra things to ponder:

• Can extra global searches be added?  I am thinking for when I have a can of Real Ale and Galaxy hops and I want to know if there are any recipes that use both ingredients.  I think the logical query would be Real Ale AND Galaxy.
  • Also the last few columns in the spreadsheet: Recipe Pdf, Label 1, Label 2, Label 3 and Label 4; contain hyperlinks.  Can these be made to work like the hyperlinks under the Name column?
  • @Triple B Brewing and I were messaging a while ago about how to include a rating and comments feature to the Coopers Recipe Spreadsheet.  I wonder if something like that could be incorporated into your web-based spreadsheet?

Even noting my points above, I can understand @iBooz2's frustration from adding new features and functions.  A project like that can seem to never have an end.

• Like 2

Thanks for the feedback, appreciated.

16 hours ago, Shamus O'Sean said:
  • Can extra global searches be added?  I am thinking for when I have a can of Real Ale and Galaxy hops and I want to know if there are any recipes that use both ingredients.  I think the logical query would be Real Ale AND Galaxy.
  • Also the last few columns in the spreadsheet: Recipe Pdf, Label 1, Label 2, Label 3 and Label 4; contain hyperlinks.  Can these be made to work like the hyperlinks under the Name column?
  • @Triple B Brewing and I were messaging a while ago about how to include a rating and comments feature to the Coopers Recipe Spreadsheet.  I wonder if something like that could be incorporated into your web-based spreadsheet?
  • Incorporating more complex global queries (with AND and OR, eg. "Real Ale AND Galaxy") should be doable. There is a bit of a complexity rabbit hole to deal with in the logic here (eg. the difference between "Real Ale AND (Galaxy OR Simcoe)" versus "(Real Ale AND Galaxy) OR Simcoe" but I'll see if I can build off someone else's reference implementation for this.
  • Hyperlinks for PDF and labels should also be doable, I'll need to go back over the sheet and extract the links.
  • Ratings and comments is trickier... the existing design supports offline/low cost/high security/etc. by essentially avoiding user-submitted data. It's literally nothing more than a static website served out of Cloudflare CDN... it keeps all of the user actions entirely within their own browser... there is not even a server or database on the backend to send data back to. Supporting genuine user-submitted/shared data (such as ratings & comments) is of course possible, but implementing it would require a number of design changes and feature tradeoffs. At this stage it's the kind of feature I'd probably keep on the Roadmap for a later milestone.

A number of other things I've been considering, but are still TBD:

• Export to CSV/Excel (with or without filters)
  • Freeze the Name column and/or "click a row to highlight it" so you can more easily distinguish the recipes when scrolling right
  • Support BeerJSON and/or BeerXML extracts
  • A "clear all filters" button to reset it to default state
  • "Remember the state" across reloads, so it returns you to the last thing you were looking at when you reopen it
  • It could look-and-feel better than it does (cue Graphic Design Is My Passion meme) but as an experienced backend dev I've come to accept my presentation skills are... workmanlike...
  • Possibly even expose the data source for live query from Excel (with a bit of Power Query ninjitsu, Excel gurus could still custom-build their own frontend exactly how they like, but there would only need to be one single source of truth for data, and everyone would always have the freshest data without needing to download another copy of the spreadsheet each time)
  • Maybe integration with complimentary external services (eg. map each recipe to homebrews on Untappd that use that recipe)
  • ...and this might be playing with fire in here, but... maybe even support for recipes from additional sources. Eventually.

I think top priority though is "building a way for trusted users to add/edit the data themselves" (and happy for that to be Shamus and/or whoever the community feels appropriate). So... definitely don't go abandoning the spreadsheet just yet! In the short term I'll try to keep it reasonably fresh whenever a new spreadsheet comes out.

Edited by pU5FA8s8
  • Like 3

7 hours ago, pU5FA8s8 said:

Thanks for the feedback, appreciated.

Wow.  Oh wow.  pU5FA8s8, that's some great ideas you have got there.  See a couple of my comments in blue text against yours.

• Incorporating more complex global queries (with AND and OR, eg. "Real Ale AND Galaxy") should be doable. There is a bit of a complexity rabbit hole to deal with in the logic here (eg. the difference between "Real Ale AND (Galaxy OR Simcoe)" versus "(Real Ale AND Galaxy) OR Simcoe" but I'll see if I can build off someone else's reference implementation for this.  Not overly necessary.  I was able to use your webpage and do a global search for Galaxy, then sort the can column by name and see if and what recipes there were with Galaxy that used the Real Ale can
  • Hyperlinks for PDF and labels should also be doable, I'll need to go back over the sheet and extract the links.  Tick!
  • Ratings and comments is trickier... the existing design supports offline/low cost/high security/etc. by essentially avoiding user-submitted data. It's literally nothing more than a static website served out of Cloudflare CDN... it keeps all of the user actions entirely within their own browser... there is not even a server or database on the backend to send data back to. Supporting genuine user-submitted/shared data (such as ratings & comments) is of course possible, but implementing it would require a number of design changes and feature tradeoffs. At this stage it's the kind of feature I'd probably keep on the Roadmap for a later milestone.  @Triple B Brewing had some thoughts on this.  Even if it was users manually posting recipe scores and comments that I manually add to some extra columns in the spreadsheet.  A draft of Triple B Brewing's idea is below
  • image.thumb.png.a10bc6e0a1a99454cdf2d7d27f9684b6.png

• Export to CSV/Excel (with or without filters)  Tick!  The ability to export to CSV or and Excel file would be useful for me.
  • Freeze the Name column and/or "click a row to highlight it" so you can more easily distinguish the recipes when scrolling right  Would that be done like Freeze Panes in Excel or like how you froze the top row?
  • Support BeerJSON and/or BeerXML extracts  That would be a bit of a task, but probably helpful.  Imaging being able to import a Coopers recipe straight into Brewfather, Beersmith or whatever brewing software you use.
  • A "clear all filters" button to reset it to default state  Tick!  Resetting the searches/filters was a bit of a pain when I was playing with your sheet.
  • "Remember the state" across reloads, so it returns you to the last thing you were looking at when you reopen it  Tick!  As an option, however, with the "clear all filters" "reset" button "Remember the state" could be the default setting
  • It could look-and-feel better than it does (cue Graphic Design Is My Passion meme) but as an experienced backend dev I've come to accept my presentation skills are... workmanlike...  It does not have to be beautiful, it just has to work.  I like your work on aligning the EBC with the actual EBC colours - Very clever.
  • Possibly even expose the data source for live query from Excel (with a bit of Power Query ninjitsu, Excel gurus could still custom-build their own frontend exactly how they like, but there would only need to be one single source of truth for data, and everyone would always have the freshest data without needing to download another copy of the spreadsheet each time)  I am not sure I follow what you mean here, but I am sure some will be interested.
  • Maybe integration with complimentary external services (eg. map each recipe to homebrews on Untappd that use that recipe)  Seems usuful.  I did not know you could add home brew recipes to Untappd.
  • ...and this might be playing with fire in here, but... maybe even support for recipes from additional sources. Eventually.  This is one I am not sure about.  At one time I thought about adding recipes using other brands of extract to my spreadsheet.  However, I decided not to given would be a bit cheeky and probably against the Coopers Forum rules.  Plus it also would be a big task.  However, the issue of rules could be overcome if the Recipe Spreadsheet was independent of the Coopers website.

I think top priority though is "building a way for trusted users to add/edit the data themselves" (and happy for that to be Shamus and/or whoever the community feels appropriate). So... definitely don't go abandoning the spreadsheet just yet! In the short term I'll try to keep it reasonably fresh whenever a new spreadsheet comes out.  No plans to abandon the spreadsheet just yet.  I imagine you could have an administrators version of your website with a "Add Recipe" button that opens an online form for the likes of you, me and authorised others to use.  An "Edit Recipe" button would also be useful for when I make mistakes, as I have done from time to time.  Occasionally the Coopers recipe, as originally posted, has had errors that need editing.

All in all mate.  Excellent work.  No rush on getting it perfect.  The spreadsheet took me long enough to build from scratch.  I imagine that the work you are doing is another level of effort again.

Cheers Shamus

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

Wow.  Oh wow.  pU5FA8s8, that's some great ideas you have got there.  See a couple of my comments in blue text against yours.

• Incorporating more complex global queries (with AND and OR, eg. "Real Ale AND Galaxy") should be doable. There is a bit of a complexity rabbit hole to deal with in the logic here (eg. the difference between "Real Ale AND (Galaxy OR Simcoe)" versus "(Real Ale AND Galaxy) OR Simcoe" but I'll see if I can build off someone else's reference implementation for this.  Not overly necessary.  I was able to use your webpage and do a global search for Galaxy, then sort the can column by name and see if and what recipes there were with Galaxy that used the Real Ale can
  • Hyperlinks for PDF and labels should also be doable, I'll need to go back over the sheet and extract the links.  Tick!
  • Ratings and comments is trickier... the existing design supports offline/low cost/high security/etc. by essentially avoiding user-submitted data. It's literally nothing more than a static website served out of Cloudflare CDN... it keeps all of the user actions entirely within their own browser... there is not even a server or database on the backend to send data back to. Supporting genuine user-submitted/shared data (such as ratings & comments) is of course possible, but implementing it would require a number of design changes and feature tradeoffs. At this stage it's the kind of feature I'd probably keep on the Roadmap for a later milestone.  @Triple B Brewing had some thoughts on this.  Even if it was users manually posting recipe scores and comments that I manually add to some extra columns in the spreadsheet.  A draft of Triple B Brewing's idea is below
  • image.thumb.png.a10bc6e0a1a99454cdf2d7d27f9684b6.png

• Export to CSV/Excel (with or without filters)  Tick!  The ability to export to CSV or and Excel file would be useful for me.
  • Freeze the Name column and/or "click a row to highlight it" so you can more easily distinguish the recipes when scrolling right  Would that be done like Freeze Panes in Excel or like how you froze the top row?
  • Support BeerJSON and/or BeerXML extracts  That would be a bit of a task, but probably helpful.  Imaging being able to import a Coopers recipe straight into Brewfather, Beersmith or whatever brewing software you use.
  • A "clear all filters" button to reset it to default state  Tick!  Resetting the searches/filters was a bit of a pain when I was playing with your sheet.
  • "Remember the state" across reloads, so it returns you to the last thing you were looking at when you reopen it  Tick!  As an option, however, with the "clear all filters" "reset" button "Remember the state" could be the default setting
  • It could look-and-feel better than it does (cue Graphic Design Is My Passion meme) but as an experienced backend dev I've come to accept my presentation skills are... workmanlike...  It does not have to be beautiful, it just has to work.  I like your work on aligning the EBC with the actual EBC colours - Very clever.
  • Possibly even expose the data source for live query from Excel (with a bit of Power Query ninjitsu, Excel gurus could still custom-build their own frontend exactly how they like, but there would only need to be one single source of truth for data, and everyone would always have the freshest data without needing to download another copy of the spreadsheet each time)  I am not sure I follow what you mean here, but I am sure some will be interested.
  • Maybe integration with complimentary external services (eg. map each recipe to homebrews on Untappd that use that recipe)  Seems usuful.  I did not know you could add home brew recipes to Untappd.
  • ...and this might be playing with fire in here, but... maybe even support for recipes from additional sources. Eventually.  This is one I am not sure about.  At one time I thought about adding recipes using other brands of extract to my spreadsheet.  However, I decided not to given would be a bit cheeky and probably against the Coopers Forum rules.  Plus it also would be a big task.  However, the issue of rules could be overcome if the Recipe Spreadsheet was independent of the Coopers website.

I think top priority though is "building a way for trusted users to add/edit the data themselves" (and happy for that to be Shamus and/or whoever the community feels appropriate). So... definitely don't go abandoning the spreadsheet just yet! In the short term I'll try to keep it reasonably fresh whenever a new spreadsheet comes out.  No plans to abandon the spreadsheet just yet.  I imagine you could have an administrators version of your website with a "Add Recipe" button that opens an online form for the likes of you, me and authorised others to use.  An "Edit Recipe" button would also be useful for when I make mistakes, as I have done from time to time.  Occasionally the Coopers recipe, as originally posted, has had errors that need editing.

All in all mate.  Excellent work.  No rush on getting it perfect.  The spreadsheet took me long enough to build from scratch.  I imagine that the work you are doing is another level of effort again.

Cheers Shamus

Beautifully summarised @Shamus O'Sean “Wow.  Oh wow” 😉👏😂 just kidding, thanks for your work on this.

Thanks also to you @pU5FA8s8 You clearly have some IT talent and fine ideas mate - Very interested in what you develop. No doubt once you have nailed the main recipe register you would be able to add the function currently found in the Coopers Kits tab worksheet "Recipes with multiple Extracts Used" and the Recipe Scaler.

Watchin’ this thread with great interest 🤓

In the meantime - cheers ta cold beers 🍺🍺🍺🍺

• Like 2