Coopers Community

White residu/deposit in bottle DIY Canadian Blonde Beer

Heracles Almelo

Hello, i'm Jordy Lucassen from the netherlands 🇱🇺 and i'm new to this community and new to the home brewing,.

I just started with my first Coopers Canadian Blonde DIY Beer, and i'm having some troubles, i hope you guys can reassure me a little bit. 😉

After the hole proces of making the beer i've bottled it at an SG of 1006 (2 days). The beer still looked a bit cloudy (see pictures), but this would dissolve in the bottle they said. 

5 days later I notice that there is a white deposit at the bottom of the bottle, which comes loose when mixed (see video, and don't mind the mess in the background 😜).

- Is this normal, and what is it? is it Yeast? 

- Should I mix the bottles occasionally or should I leave them alone?

- Would it dissolve in a couple of weeks?

Hopefully you have some answers to my questions, if you have questions for me, I will gladly answer them for you.

Thnxs already

Greetz

Jordy from the Netherlands 

IMG_1374.jpg

IMG_1424.jpg

You're not familiar with bottle conditioned beers are you? 😜

It's yeast, perfectly normal for it to be there. It will compact further in time, also being in the fridge for a few days helps too, but obviously wait until carbonation has happened before putting any in the fridge. 

Personally I didn't like it in my beer so when I poured it into a glass, I was as careful as possible not to disturb the sediment. Others roll the bottles or swirl it up all through the beer before pouring into a glass. 

Welcome to the forum.

The White deposit in the bottles is yeast and we refer to it as sediment. It is perfectly normal and expected.

It is similar to fermentation in the fermenter where there is trub at the bottom only this time fermentation occurred in the bottle in order to carbonate the beer.

Just leave it and don’t stir it up. Unfortunately it won’t dissolve so when pouring into a glass just leave the last muddy behind.

Hi Jordy,  and welcome. 

You can't completely avoid bottle sediment if natural conditioning .

Even the best commercial examples have a light film of yeast in the bottles if they're bottle conditioned .

You can minimise it by allowing your beer to sit a little longer and reducing the temperature to 2-4°C before bottling. 

Other methods are to use a fining agent like gelatin to force the beer clear or to use a yeast with higher flocculation that will clump together naturally. 

As mentioned above,  once bottles are fully carbonated then stand upright in fridge for at least a few days and carefully pour to glass before drinking 

Hi Jordy, in Australia when you order a coopers stubbie at a pub, it’s customary for the bar tender to roll it along the bar before opening it to stir all that good stuff up. If they don’t do this it’s considered sacrelige. Embrace the sediment, it’ll put hairs on ya bum.

4 hours ago, MitchBastard said:

Hi Jordy, in Australia when you order a coopers stubbie at a pub, it’s customary for the bar tender to roll it along the bar before opening it to stir all that good stuff up. If they don’t do this it’s considered sacrelige. Embrace the sediment, it’ll put hairs on ya bum.

Thnxs for the tip, I wil try both and pass on my findings 👍

On 2/21/2019 at 7:56 PM, Otto Von Blotto said:

Lol. Yep not a fan of the sediment. Don't really like my beer looking like dirty dish water.

I'm with you on this ... I like my beers so that the only thing I see in it are bubbles ...  I fine and cold crash to get as much clarity as possible ... I find that fining helps  sediment set hard in the vat and bottle ... 

Archived