Coopers Community

Hops - 2019

Titan

Do hops have to be vacuum packed for the freezer. I have 50 gms of centennial and EKG left over from the English bitter. I have the bag closed tight and one of those plastic snap lock things over the seal inside the freezer .  She’ll be right yeah? 

3 minutes ago, PaddyBrew2 said:

Do hops have to be vacuum packed for the freezer. I have 50 gms of centennial and EKG left over from the English bitter. I have the bag closed tight and one of those plastic snap lock things over the seal inside the freezer .  She’ll be right yeah? 

its better to be, due to the oxidation factor but hey, it your using them soon, who cares.

Ill post a photo of mine

• Like 1

Think it’s gonna be an off the cuff one. I saw King Rudd did one using the same core ingredients ( apa and real ale ) but used ekg and Styrian hops 

I have ekg and centennial left over from my battleship bitter so will use them but follow the core recipe as is ( apa, real ale , 300 gms crystal, 500 gms dex )

• Like 3

• 8 months later...

I picked up some hops yesterday and after some feedback on them: Victoria hops (not Vic Secret) and Nugget 130g of each came with some brewing equipment I bought yesterday.  

Anyone familiar with them. Naturally I have looked them up on Google but after  feedback from those who may have used them.  I will be throwing them into an Pale Ale at some stage.   They are pretty high AA 14%ish so I imagine I need to be light handed with them also picked up 250g of Cascade AA 13%ish. 

2 hours ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

13% is a bloody high alpha content for Cascade. It usually ranges between about 5 and 8. 

I thought about that. I was wondering how he measured the AA% . Anyway to be on the safe side i will not use as bittering hop and it sounds suss to me. Maybe it is total acid % as that should be in that region.   Cascade hops: 

Alpha Acid Composition 4.5%-8.9%
Beta Acid Composition 3.6%-7.5%

9 minutes ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

It might be, but they shouldn't be labelling it like that if it is, because all the calcs and predictions are based on the alpha acid content. 

These were home grown and pretty sure the guy was a extract brewer.  He was a deputy principal  so i imagine he would have brains to know what he was doing with the AA%.  Anyway I did not know they were homegrown when I aquired  them.  They are 2018 crop which is the same year as the commercial Northern Brewer I bought at the LHBS.  So not too worried I will use as dry hops or whirlpool hops for aroma. 

Edited by MartyG1525230263

Well unless he has some way of analysing them properly, any alpha content "claim" is just guessing. Being older they likely would have lost some of the AA content as well. 

I've used home grown Cascade in a batch before, bittering through to late/flameout, and based my calcs on 5%. Given how it tasted I'm guessing the real content was a bit lower than that. It was a bit sweeter than my pale ales usually are, not ridiculously but enough to notice a difference. 

• Like 1

I have dry hopped with my home grown, dried and stored in the freezer Cascade hops before.  Loved the result. No idea what the AA was though.

I did a 20 minute boil of Red Earth flowers and got too much boiled vegetable flavour.  

Goldings went well in a triple 18, 12 and 6 minute boil addition.

• Like 2