Coopers Community

Hops - 2019

Titan

• 2 months later...

I have tasted some craft beers later usually titled Pacific Pale Ale or something similar that have a very confused flavour profile driven by a strong passionfruit flavour ... anyone know which of the hops give that distinct flavour ...  as I wish to avoid using them .... my guess is it is Galaxy or Citra ...  

3 minutes ago, Greeny1525229549 said:

Id put my 50 bucks on galaxy. 

I thought as much but I thought I would call a friend and use the brains trust ... must also use a high ester yeast as the flavour profile is really confusing ... I am of  "the less is more" school ...  

1 hour ago, MartyG1525230263 said:

I thought as much but I thought I would call a friend and use the brains trust ... must also use a high ester yeast as the flavour profile is really confusing ... I am of  "the less is more" school ...  

I don't mind galaxy in moderation and love it in combinations with other hops. But agree stone and wood is too much. Might as well have fruit juice. Try it with mosaic though Marty. It's like Fred and ginger it's that good.

I used to love stone and wood Pacific ale or whatever, I guess the galaxy was too much and now I avoid it like the plague. I don't mind mixing some galaxy with other hops just not alone in a beer with strong wheat influence. I like juicy beers but my palette is swinging back to more maltier offerings or brews with some nice hops that provide some dankness.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ozlizard said:

Bridgetown WA

Ar yes, there’s a few around mate and the one local to you is great. He not only has great hops but is a really good bloke. 

I was trying to tee up a wet hop beer with him this ear but missed my window due to work. 

Everyone that I’ve heard using their hops always goes back. 

Im really looking forward to next years crop as he has a type that’s just kinda been brought back from extinction. It’s an amazing hop that only a few growers have in the area but most are growing more each year. 

Might go down in a few days and pick some up myself. 

Yeah there's another one near Donnybrook. Preston Valley Hops, I think, met the guy at the Balingup Small Field Day. The bloke from SW Hops asked me to drop in this arvo as he was getting a brew going, unfortunately, I couldn't make it but will do so some time for sure.  Looking forward to giving them a go with the next brew.

• Like 1

Why is this so?

I chux bag my 25g of Dry Hop. Add two very large glass marbles. Tie, connect my fishing line to the chux, drop it in. It sinks to the bottom like a rock.

Next day the chux is floating on the surface. I know it must need more weight, but why sink like a rock, then refloat  much later? 

Cheers

I'm enjoying my Mosaic hop at the moment in a 4.3%ABV Pale. It will be one of my go-to winter beers.

I would like to lift the "peachy" mid taste with a fruity, or otherwise, lift to the aftertaste. 

Any ideas what hop/s would do this?

Cheers

12 hours ago, The Captain!! said:

Mosaic plays well with its others. It’s often been said that it’s helps characteristics of other hops when used with mosaic. 

So I might use with Citra;

• 10g of Simcoe FWH, as usual
  • 10g/10g of Mosaic/Citra@2m
  • 15g Mosaic @ whirlpool
  • 25g Citra Dry Hop

Cheers

1 hour ago, Worthog said:

So I might use with Citra;

• 10g of Simcoe FWH, as usual
  • 10g/10g of Mosaic/Citra@2m
  • 15g Mosaic @ whirlpool
  • 25g Citra Dry Hop

Cheers

Looks good mate. 

Loral would work really well with that too as another dry hop on top of the citra. 

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, The Captain!! said:

Looks good mate. 

Loral would work really well with that too as another dry hop on top of the citra. 

Loral Hop flavour profile;

Floral, fruity, citrus, herbal, peppery.

Never seen them available at my usual sources. I don't usually source direct from USA. They definitely have the characteristics I like.

Cheers and thanks.

18 minutes ago, Worthog said:

Loral Hop flavour profile;

Floral, fruity, citrus, herbal, peppery.

Never seen them available at my usual sources. I don't usually source direct from USA. They definitely have the characteristics I like.

Cheers and thanks.

If you can get the Cryo hops, use half a bag for this batch and half for another batch as Cryo are approximately double the amount of “flavour” to normal pellets. So basically if your using 100g of pellets, Cryo will only need 50g for the same effect. With less vegetable notes.