Coopers Community

Moving to all grain......at some point

MitchBastard

Howdy. Happy new beer to all.

just after a general consensus about moving toward the end goal of all grain and what others have done. 

Is it best to go to go down the BIAB path then to something like the robobrew? 

Or should one just jump right into robobrew deep end?

yew. 

I was about to say the same thing. But to add, it all depends on what you want to do, how much space, time and money you have to spend on it all. 

You can make perfectly good beers with either urn, grainfather or robobrew but it does have its limitations, less so with the latter two, but to be able to do anything/any style you can’t go past a 3v system.

There are work arounds to making just about any style with Biab but again, you’ll be spending more time on the system. 

Hey @MitchBastard I recently did a similar move.  I went a stove top BIAB set up to see the difference in taste/ quality before investing in a Robobrew. I looked at the Grainfather/ Guten/ Urn set up and Robobrew and decided to go with that (mostly due to a boxing day deal lol). Like said before me plenty of options that produce great beer. Depending on your needs you can go AG from -$50 to +1500. 

Work out what you want to do and get that gear at the start. Don’t get an urn and BIAB if you are just going to get an automated system later.

I had a 3V system but later changed to a Grainfather. If that was an option when I started then I would have gone with the Grainfather to begin with.

But BIAB with an urn is fine and you make the same tasting beer as other systems (don’t tell Kelsey I said that) and you may stick with it. Do your research, make your decision and go for it.

10 hours ago, The Captain1525230099 said:

I was about to say the same thing. But to add, it all depends on what you want to do, how much space, time and money you have to spend on it all. 

Space is probably the main concern. Saying that I don’t want to spend money I don’t have too. 

Google tells me that a decent urn is about $250/300 and the robo brew is $399 ?

Given those stats I’d be inclinded to go the robo. 

Decisions, decisions. 

4 hours ago, MitchBastard said:

That's kinda where I am at in my thinking too. Though also somewhat curious about the 'attachments' that can be purchased to fit on the robobrew. 

5 hours ago, MitchBastard said:

Space is probably the main concern. Saying that I don’t want to spend money I don’t have too. 

Decisions, decisions. 

That's why I went to a robobrew straight up 

Archived