Coopers Community

LG Beer Bot

Beerlust

That LG brewing kit caused all sorts of problems on here.😀

If you are making good beer then I am not going to question your process unless you ask, but I also think it is ok to say I dont know, I never tried that. I am amazed at the no chill process and I think it is an awesome tool to use. We live in Australia, water is a precious commodity down here, and soon everywhere. I try to use the least the amount of water when I can without sacrificing effectiveness.

If I ever go AG I will probably use no chill for that reason and maybe to get another fwk ready for later, if I brew a big enough batch. I cannot bring myself to use water for chilling unless I can figure out how to recycle that water for later use. On my current scale, ice cubes and a sink of ice water works like a charm.

Cheers,

Norris

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 minutes ago, Norris! said:

I cannot bring myself to use water for chilling unless I can figure out how to recycle that water for later use.

Im looking at this aspect very closely. I think i have everything i need to do effective chill without wasting so much water. Will report back later when prototype goes into action.

14 hours ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

...your misguided shitposting...

...just because you think no chilling is a load of shit. 

...This isn't any different to your stupid b.s. about magnum hops.

Hang on a minute. If you're going to quote me, fine then quote me, but don't make up things I DIDN'T say. All I've done in this conversation is offer a different view & state another option to no-chilling. I certainly haven't attacked individuals. As usual I have to defend everything I say that isn't inline with the views of the "no-chill" mob. 🖕

This forum & others have become a platform for pushing this type of home brewing, & new brewers moving to full AG are having this no-chill viewpoint rammed down their throat as almost the only way to go after moving to AG. And that is a crock of you know what.

I share the same view about Magnum hops. Again it's rammed down every new brewer as THE hop to use for bittering just about every type of beer imaginable. Again a crock of you know what. Truth be known I don't really have anything against the hop, I just don't like the generic nature of how it is spoken about as being an ONLY solution or the BEST solution in all scenarios for bittering etc. because again that is a crock of you know what.

...Plenty of guys chill their wort. Plenty also don't because it suits them better. 

Correct. So let's allow for a little more balanced conversation by hearing from the other side of the ledger occasionally hey?

...Perhaps since you're so opposed to using wort that was brewed at an earlier date and stored for use later, you should stop using kits and extracts because they're exactly the same thing, just in concentrated syrup form. 

Did you read the bit about the restrictions of the equipment I use? 🤔 I'm guessing no.

Forums like this are great brainstorming areas for people to gather different viewpoints & ideas. The wider the range of options, the better for the individual to choose what's best for them. If certain agendas & methods are only ever spoken of,  then a fair part of the conversation is missing for people to make educated decisions on.

While there are those that push agendas & don't bother to disclose certain options & information, I'll continue to add in my bits of conversation where relevant.

Not everyone wants to be a no-chiller when they grow up. 😉

Cheers,

Lusty.

40 minutes ago, Smashed Crabs said:

I have pots, pans and a stovetop and brew Full AG. Sounds like you have the equipment just don't want to brew AG. Each to there own.

They're small pots & pans. I don't think the main burner on my stovetop would be much chop with a large pot. It is what it is.

I agree both sides should be discussed,  but both sides also have equal merit. Your comments on no chilling do not reflect this when you say it's a waste of time and effort for most brewers. Obviously it isn't.

Maybe no chilling gets talked about more because more of the AG guys on here are doing it than not, I don't know. 

The point remains however that your problems with it are misguided. You're only focusing on one brew at a time, and in that scenario I agree it adds more time than chilling and pitching on brew day. But when looked at in terms of overall production of numerous batches, the amount of time between brewing and pitching is a non issue. 

I have a batch ready to go in tomorrow or the next day, and it will spend a few weeks in the fermenter being a lager. During that time I can knock out another 3 or 4 batches and have them ready once the fermenter is free rather than being forced to either do a brew day on the same day as kegging, or keg the beer early or late to fit into a weekend brew day, since I'll be back working by then.

I also like doing other things on weekends and if something is happening that prevents a brew day happening, it's nice to be able to brew when I am able to and store it, instead of delaying it another week.

These are the benefits of it for my situation. I know it doesn't apply to everyone. But neither does working with a chiller.

15 minutes ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

I agree both sides should be discussed,  but both sides also have equal merit. Your comments on no chilling do not reflect this when you say it's a waste of time and effort for most brewers. Obviously it isn't.

Maybe no chilling gets talked about more because more of the AG guys on here are doing it than not, I don't know. 

I base my opinion (& it's just an opinion) on no-chilling around the average 'Joe Blow' that works Mon-Fri & has the weekends off. It's on those weekends they brew. Although there has certainly been a shift in working hours over the last decade or so, I'd say this still holds true for a fair whack of the workforce. So based on that belief, why would you need to no-chill?

As an extreme at the other end, there are quite a few blokes that have FIFO jobs (or similar) so I can certainly understand the benefits of no-chilling in that scenario. You personally work split shifts so that puts time restraints on how long you can be attending to an AG brew. I get it.

I'm not knocking, or mocking the guys that genuinely have to use no-chilling due to circumstances, but am highlighting the validity of the practice when it clearly is unnecessary in certain situations.

No personal shots, open conversation, full disclosure.

Cheers,

Lusty.

55 minutes ago, Titan said:

Im looking at this aspect very closely. I think i have everything i need to do effective chill without wasting so much water. Will report back later when prototype goes into action.

Water isn't wasted it just goes back into the system 

So if it was a closed system with chilled water or glycol, I am guessing I dont know about glycol, then it just runs through the cold water bit, the hot wort, and get chilled that way? Hmmm that sounds cool. Especially if it just takes some blocks of ice and a few liters of water to work. Nice @grogdog

17 minutes ago, Beerlust said:

Ignorance is bliss Mark.

The trouble is it isn't very helpful to anyone else wanting information.

Fix that.

Lusty.

Indeed... Ignorance is key to the differences here. 

You've not tried the process yet write it off. 

I have however run both dozens of times with mostly solid results. 

Fix that ? 

1 minute ago, Mark D Pirate said:

You've not tried the process yet write it off.

I think you need to read one of my recent posts in this thread.

2 minutes ago, Mark D Pirate said:

...I have however run both dozens of times with mostly solid results. 

And what are these "solid results" of yours that will conclusively prove to a newish brewer contemplating the move to full AG that they should "no-chill" in preference to chilling their wort post mash & beginning fermentation asap?

I for one would certainly be interested in viewing these "solid results" of yours.

Lusty.

6 minutes ago, Beerlust said:

And what are these "solid results" of yours that will conclusively prove to a newish brewer contemplating the move to full AG that they should "no-chill" in preference to chilling their wort post mash & beginning fermentation asap?

I for one would certainly be interested in viewing these "solid results" of yours.

Lusty.

Chilling post mash ? Why would I do such a thing ? 

Myself I prefer to boil and add hops,  whether I chill quickly or slowly I do at least boil 

2 minutes ago, Mark D Pirate said:

Chilling post mash ? Why would I do such a thing ? 

Myself I prefer to boil and add hops,  whether I chill quickly or slowly I do at least boil 

Too slow mate. I corrected myself before you could try the humiliation BS. 😉

How about posting those "solid results"?

Does the beer I've been drinking the last few years count?  

Do the smiles on faces when I hand over a FWK count?  

Does your personal hero Smurto count when he happily took an excess to requirements batch off my hands count? 

( he enjoyed it) 

Does the fact that 9.2 out of 10 bogans actually think my HB clone of CPA is a keg we stole from the pub count ? 

I'm not perfect,  I'm still learning and sometimes I stuff a batch up ( my fault) 

How many AG batches have you produced Lusty? 

How many brews have you put in front of trained judges for feedback and wanted honest answers ? 

I didn't enter SABSOSA this year due to my getting drunk,  I missed deadline ( again,  my fault)  I had some beers that other judges asked " why didn't you enter this? " 

You've been brewing longer than I have,  I only came back to the hobby a few years ago and I asked many silly questions learning all the updates. 

However,  since its Christmas I'll ask my favourite seasonal movie character to speak for me. 

John McCain in Diehard.... Yippie ki-yay 

6 minutes ago, Mark D Pirate said:

Does the beer I've been drinking the last few years count?

Of course it does. Give us some details about that beer?

6 minutes ago, Mark D Pirate said:

...Do the smiles on faces when I hand over a FWK count? 

Again, of course they do. How many here on the forum have you given these FWK to that can vouch for their quality? 🤔

8 minutes ago, Mark D Pirate said:

Does your personal hero Smurto count when he happily took an excess to requirements batch off my hands count?

Heck yeah. I have always respected Dr. Smurto & his brewing prowess & probably always will while he continues to experiment & brew beer. I got off-side with Dr. Smurto & others on the Brew Adelaide forum because I didn't give his case swap beer the highest honours of praise at the time. It was a nice beer, but nothing worth raving about for the style & he would even admit today it was an experimental brew to gather information.

Some excellent brewers, state comp winners, & nice guys on that forum but it was a bit of a 'kiss ass' club & if you didn't comply, you quickly became the object of ridicule. Hence why I left.

Stop trying to impress everyone else & get back to brewing beer for the reason(s) you started brewing your own in the first place.

You're a very good brewer Mark.

Cheers,

Lusty.

1 hour ago, Beerlust said:

I base my opinion (& it's just an opinion) on no-chilling around the average 'Joe Blow' that works Mon-Fri & has the weekends off. It's on those weekends they brew. Although there has certainly been a shift in working hours over the last decade or so, I'd say this still holds true for a fair whack of the workforce. So based on that belief, why would you need to no-chill?

Because as I've said a hundred times already, most of my pitching and kegging is done during the working week and not on weekends. I don't have time for a full brew day during the working week. 

I don't time my kegging and pitching days based on them lining up with the  weekend either because I don't need to,  the beer is kegged when it's ready, which is almost always a weekday.  Because I don't want to wait until the weekend to pitch another batch, or keg a beer early, it's far more useful for me to have a batch of wort already done and waiting to be fermented. This allows non-stop production as I can easily pitch it on a weekday. 

It really is that simple. I could buy a chiller for the rare occasions that a fermenter is free on a weekend but given how rare that is, it would be a waste of money for no real advantages to me.

10 minutes ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

Because as I've said a hundred times already, most of my pitching and kegging is done during the working week and not on weekends. I don't have time for a full brew day during the working week. 

FFS stop skimming my posts & read them full. I did make mention of this & defend your specific situation (& others) regarding no-chilling.

Mate, I'm not knocking you if your weekly work schedule doesn't allow for consistency. Oddly enough though through your work schedule you seem to create some consistency. 😉

I'm almost at a point where I'm gonna buy you a chiller & post it up! 🤣

Cheers, good brewing, & a Merry Xmas mate,

Lusty.

Well I consistently have a batch fermenting 😂 

Thing is, it wouldn't really matter what shifts I was doing, I still wouldn't bother brewing mid week. I can't be bothered after work, there's one shift where i could brew before work but I'd be tired out from it before I even started work. Sitting around doing bugger all makes me tired/lethargic. Plus the split shifts pay the best. The main two reasons are that and not wanting gaps between batches being fermented. 

I'm not knocking chilling as a valid method if individual circumstances suit it. If mine did then I'd probably be doing it too, at least on some batches. But no chilling works, and sometimes when I have a few days off I'll do a batch a day to stock up and free up more weekends for other things.

Archived