Coopers Community

Todays tastings

supernerdy

Carlton Draught in the pub waiting for a meal. Getting a 50 litre keg of this tomorrow for Christmas.

I know we bag the mega swill a lot. For me when the weather warms up it goes down a treat with a meal. 

Yes we can brew our own beers with more hop flavour etc but with our warm climate. Well let's just say maybe they were made bland to be drank ice cold for that reason the climate. 

Cheers to warm weather 🍻 

20231212_120852.jpg

• Like 9
  • Sad 1

16 hours ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

I got the Beer Cartel Advent Calendar, but I am a bit behind in posting the results because I was a bit incommunicado last week on a houseboat holiday on the Murray River out of Mildura.  Plus I got pretty crook half way through the trip, and only catching up with things now.

Beer Cartel Advent Calendar, day 1 - Spotty Dog Brewing - Double West Coast IPA

Consumed at my brother's in Horsham

• Nice hoppy aromas
  • Strong bitterness, but not overpowering
  • Good bold flavour

IMG_4057.JPG.34cbf1b1815bed798162c48c1eeec5ee.JPG

Beer Cartel Advent Calendar, day 2 - Mountain Culture - Esky in the Boot

• Nice tropical aromas
  • Smooth flavour and bitterness
  • Alcohol nicely restrained

IMG_4066.JPG.f66dde1ffef2f03aefa0d58a0cafaa2b.JPG

Beer Cartel Advent Calendar, day 3 - New England Brewing Co - Dapper Special Bitter

• Subdued caramel and toffee notes with a hint of roast
  • The can says "Tastes like crusty bread" which is so true
  • Nice smooth bitterness
  • Clubhouse leader to date - 8/10

IMG_4071.JPG.5fe8e26a64272b4e69c6dc0578728ce5.JPG

Beer Cartel Advent Calendar, day 4 - Yulli's Brews - Smoked Mango Chilli Sour

• I know it sounds weird, but what an excellent beer
  • Decidedly smoky aroma
  • Not too much sour flavour, but lifted by the chilli at the back of the throat
  • The mango is noticeable too
  • Surprisingly little smoky flavour given the strong aroma
  • New clubhouse leader 9/10

IMG_4081.JPG.d47be85c249a3fc76fbc62998be6970f.JPG

Beer Cartel Advent Calendar, day 5 - Blackmans - Citra Cryo Pale Ale

• Loads of carbonation
  • As expected, plenty of oranges and lemons aroma
  • Less punchy flavour, more layered
  • Mild bitterness
  • A good Pale Ale 7/10

IMG_4085.JPG.f9bc1c56278f0e637fdd8a2f84d09163.JPG

After this brew, but not from this brew, I got sick, so will have to catch up over the next few days.

Sorry to hear of your bout of 'River Sickness' Shamus or it may have been something else?

I trust you are well & back enjoying a beer. 🍺

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Tricky Micky said:

Shamus, thank for posting your reports of your beer tasting - great stuff. I've always wanted to do the Mighty Muzza houseboat trip. How'd your cruise go? (apart from feeling crook midway thru). I'm so sorry to hear that you were sick along the way mate, hope all is okay now.

The cruise went well TM.  I recommend doing it if you get the chance.  It was just me, my brother and brother-in-law.  Although they have both done houseboat trips before, it was in bigger family groups.  So this was a bit of trial boys trip.  The main thing we will do differently next time is pick a cooler time of year.  The first 2 days (28 &30) were ideal.  The rest (38, 38, 36, 33 & 39) were stinkers.😆

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

Sorry to hear of your bout of 'River Sickness' Shamus or it may have been something else?

I trust you are well & back enjoying a beer. 🍺

Thanks Phil.  I am still feeling some after effects of being crook.  I lost over 4kg in 4 days.   However I am now back on the food and beers.  Not that I need it, but, I’ll have the 4kg back on in no time.

• Haha 5

15 minutes ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

Thanks Phil.  I am still feeling some after effects of being crook.  I lost over 4kg in 4 days.   However I am now back on the food and beers.  Not that I need it, but, I’ll have the 4kg back on in no time.

That's good Shamus, nothing worse when you get crook trying to enjoy some R & R.

A houseboat trip on the Murray River is the ultimate holiday, I was born in Berri SA right on the river, so I have done it a few times.

There are many wonderful sights including BBQ's, cliffs, birdlife, sunsets etc. but the only problem is I always get the job as the cook, not that I mind of course.

Ironically, I now live by the sea so it must have something to do with being a Pices. 🐟

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

My advent calendar from Boozebud arrived 6 days late. My mate and I  decided to start at the 6th and catch up later.

These are the beers so far. 6th to 11th. Maybe in that order 🤷‍♂️

IMG20231212160542.thumb.jpg.54580f48d1f1cfc593e131cd4a9e7d02.jpg

Four lagers in a row was pushing it a bit. At least, I'm assuming the Bent was a lager. It was probably the pick of those. I wouldn't go out of my way to buy the others but would be happy enough drinking them at a pub.

The Mornington Pale was good. Maybe a bit too malty for me in a regular pale ale.

The Moon Dog Pat Pash was a surprise. Really passionfruity and pretty drinkable. Not super beery but just enough to think it's a sour beer not a soft drink.

Edited by Popo the Degenerate
Spelling
  • Like 5

6 hours ago, Uhtred Of Beddanburg said:

Carlton Draught in the pub waiting for a meal. Getting a 50 litre keg of this tomorrow for Christmas.

I know we bag the mega swill a lot. For me when the weather warms up it goes down a treat with a meal. 

Yes we can brew our own beers with more hop flavour etc but with our warm climate. Well let's just say maybe they were made bland to be drank ice cold for that reason the climate. 

Cheers to warm weather 🍻 

20231212_120852.jpg

Have to agree. Carlton Draught on tap is a good beer on tap. A good all rounder.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

5 minutes ago, Pale Man said:

Have to agree. Carlton Draught on tap is a good beer on tap. A good all rounder.

Yeah my keggerator fired up good after being unplugged for 2 months or more. Looking forward to putting a big 50 litre keg in it.

Testing it out tonight with a home brew to make sure rebuild worked first. The sanitiser sitting in it now.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Popo the Degenerate said:

My advent calendar from Boozebud arrived 6 days late. My mate and I  decided to start at the 6th and catch up later.

These are the beers so far. 6th to 11th. Maybe in that order 🤷‍♂️

IMG20231212160542.thumb.jpg.54580f48d1f1cfc593e131cd4a9e7d02.jpg

Four lagers in a row was pushing it a bit. At least, I'm assuming the Bent was a lager. It was probably the pick of those. I wouldn't go out of my way to buy the others but would be happy enough drinking them at a pub.

The Mornington Pale was good. Maybe a bit too malty for me in a regular pale ale.

The Moon Dog Pat Pash was a surprise. Really passionfruity and pretty drinkable. Not super beery but just enough to think it's a sour beer not a soft drink.

Bobby is really, really nice from the tab

• Like 1

Beer can be educational.

Birra Baracca 1918

IMG_20231212_190705544.thumb.jpg.151c040db133b50526e7800418f81bc5.jpg

Named after Italy's most successful WWI pilot, Francesco Baracca, who died in 1918 when his plane crashed into the hill where this beer was brewed. He decorated his plane with a picture of a prancing horse which was taken from his family's coat of arms.

Some years later his mother gave Enzo Ferrari permission to use the prancing horse logo on his cars.

It's quite a nice beer, a full flavoured pilsner I would say.

• Like 7

Beer Cartel Advent Calendar, day 7 (on day 11, yesterday - only posting today because our modem died last night) - Hop Nation Czech Pilsner.

I drank this one as a side-by-side with the last bottle of my Czech Lager.

Theirs:

• Very subtle herbal hop aroma with notes of honey
  • Sweet bready malt flavour
  • Mild bitterness
  • Inherent beer-y aftertaste
  • 6.5/10

Mine:

• Mild but more spicy notes
  • Smooth malty honey flavour
  • Slightly more bitter
  • No aftertaste
  • 7/10

IMG_4105.JPG.9ac8c9de312c040f887fa737d365c58a.JPG

• Like 6

Advent Calendar, day 13: Sea Bird Coastal Haxy Pale by Sailor’s Grave Brewing. The oats are taking a backseat in this one, which is a welcome change. Quite drinkable but not really my thing.

Is it just me or are hazies the new IPA? A few years ago, IPAs were omnipresent and dominated every brewery’s beer list. Today, it seems to be Hazie IPA, Hazy NEIPA, Hazy WCIPA, Hazy Pale Ale. Just waiting for the first Hazy Hazy or a Double Hazy NEIPA or something. 

IMG_9678.thumb.jpeg.e90188a1017b538e4c7dc17a442147c9.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Haha 1