Coopers Community

Todays tastings

supernerdy

On 10/27/2023 at 10:12 PM, Shamus O'Sean said:

Consuming a classic in preparation to harvest the yeast for the 2023 Coopers Vintage Ale in a couple of weeks.

IMG_3977.JPG.5b95137211bcd60fc7de3eabebe048ec.JPG

Wifey bought a 12 pack of Copa and I thought to try to harvest the yeast to use in a can of Coopers Draught I have sitting on my shelf. How do you go about? do you collect a whole six pack at once, like in the Coopers video? Or can you do it one by one and add it to your soft drink bottle?

• Like 2

6 hours ago, jennyss said:

Where did you buy that beer Shamus? Any hope Dan Murphy's might have it?

Hey Jenny, It came from Harvest Cellars in Belgrave South.  They have an amazing range that is often changing.  No mega-swill, which is a good thing.  More space for variety.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Brauhaus Fritz said:

Wifey bought a 12 pack of Copa and I thought to try to harvest the yeast to use in a can of Coopers Draught I have sitting on my shelf. How do you go about? do you collect a whole six pack at once, like in the Coopers video? Or can you do it one by one and add it to your soft drink bottle?

I drank the six pack over 2 nights.  One stubby at a time.  I left the dregs in the stubby's and just recapped and put back in the fridge.  The third day, yesterday, I prepped the starter wort, took the stubby's out of the fridge, removed the caps, gave the rims of the bottles a spray with sanitiser, poured them into the starter wort and off we go. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Kegory said:

Shepherd Name Spitfire Golden Ale

IMG_20231031_203641968.thumb.jpg.e19bc42244983c25e90065e6cf2af9b3.jpg

I'll be looking for a clone recipe of this but only after I've tried my hand at a clone of the original Spitfire.

I didn't enjoy that one bit, too sweet & malty for my taste, there is a slight hint of bitterness but leaves an awful aftertaste.

I have had a few of the beers but I would rate their Double Stout the pick of the bunch.

• Sad 1

5 hours ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

I didn't enjoy that one bit, too sweet & malty for my taste, there is a slight hint of bitterness but leaves an awful aftertaste.

I have had a few of the beers but I would rate their Double Stout the pick of the bunch.

One of the guys from the home brew club has been working on a clone of the Shepherd Neame Double Stout. IIRC, he has some of the specs and it's quite tricky to get it all to come together, the tolerances are very tight.

• Like 1

After golf we popped down to the Clifton Hill Brew pub. It's one of what was two pubs on Queens Parade (the other is now a restaurant). I've been there a number of times but not for a long, long time. I think it used to be the "Irish Pub" (not an Irish themed pub) but I could never tell or remember which is which.

I started with a tasting paddle

IMG_20231101_154207068.thumb.jpg.5f789d0c538df3dd9906131904204340.jpg

From left to right (consumed vice versa) Irish Red Ale, Kviek Ale (quite cloudy), Dark Lager, and Cold IPA.

IMG_20231101_162523281.thumb.jpg.2143ca25d686b4b8e6cf7589f28f178a.jpg

We ordered some food, croquettes, Whisky BBQ ribs and a steak sanga with an ale mustard, and it was happy hour so pints, too. I got a West Coast IPA.

The beers were good, though more "safe" than sensational, and the food was very tasty. We could both see repeats of Yarra Bend golf and Clifton Hill Brewpub in our futures.

• Like 5

Shepherd Neame India Pale Ale

IMG_20231103_195111048.thumb.jpg.8458320a85759a5e74ac29d6e42e234b.jpg

IMO, this bears only a passing resemblance to the American style IPAs which are so prevalent these days. But I can kind of see how you could get there from here. My impressions are, although it's been a few months since I tasted it, that this taste goes in a similar direction to Coopers 2023 Vintage Ale.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Brauhaus Fritz said:

I thought for $2 I will give it a try. It was definitely not out of date and absolutely not nice at all. It’s incredibly cidery sweet. It’s probably a great drop if you fancy headaches and hangovers, y u k. It’s horrible. 

IMG_8350.jpeg

IMG_8352.jpeg

I would totally agree with that, I haven't tried the red label & I don't intend to as the green label is 💩

• Like 1

Two Bays Brewing Lager

IMG_20231104_190542080.thumb.jpg.293f142abbc04851571b33bb5c6ae037.jpg

It was on sale at the Italian deli. I didn't notice that it was gluten free until I went to crack the lid. I hope I don't make that mistake again. Goes to show, you've got stay on your game all the time lest one get under your guard.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2