Coopers Community

Todays tastings

supernerdy

1 hour ago, Uhtred Of Beddanburg said:

Totally agree if anything crown lager is just a crappy beer in a fancy stubby. Way to sweet tasting and not a proper balance of bitterness. I reckon if gave the old chap a vb in a glass and didn't tell him he would love it and woul not even know what it was.

Yeah I agree. I had a Crown lager about 6 months ago and the taste to me was sweet, not a well balanced lager at all.

• Like 2

I think that the crappy Crown lager, and a lot of other beers in Australia are due to the duopoly of Asahi and Kirin taking over most of the commercial breweries, with the exception of Coopers who have structured their shareholding to avoid takeover.

Kirin and Asahi have tried to homogenize all beer in Australia to suit their efficiencies in production and distribution, and therefor to maximize their profits. As a business model that works very well, but for us consumers it means we get very mediocre beers from the 2 giants. The 2 giants then employ very clever marketing to convince beer drinkers that they are buying a great product, when in fact they are buying shitty beer that is nearly all the same. The 2 giants spend far more on marketing, getting a product that is cheap to produce than they ever spend on good brewing processes. That really shows in the beers that they produce, but with marketing they convince people that it is a good product. Case in point is Crown lager, which to me is just a sweet crappy lager, but it is marketed as a premium beer and many people then believe that marketing from the 2 giants.

Despite many independent craft brewers producing great beers, but at a very premium price, it is no wonder that the craft beer market has expanded exponentially. I guess that shows that there are still some discerning beer drinkers left.

I am happy that I can produce premium beer at home and not to be so more dependent on the 2 giants.

• Like 6

Beer production is expensive, especially excise. So breweries have to model their production where it is affordable for the consumer, so then they take short cuts.

Blame the Government for that as they control the rate of excise. Some more enlightened countries have zero excise on beer. I think that the EU excise rate is just minuscule.  https://taxfoundation.org/data/all/global/beer-taxes-in-europe-2023/

• Like 2

@kmar92 totally agree it's because of government tax. Buy I also think we need to treat the craft brewers in the same light as the big commercial when it comes to quality. 

There is no point being a craft brewer and using dry enzymes to a beer so it's just a thin hoppy beer.

Defeats the purpose of being craft. As well as hop flavour it needs body which not many I have tried have. 

6 minutes ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

Like I said, I bought it on special, so it doesn't mean I will be buying it again. Most Victorian beer is crap anyway. 🤣

This should work.

You said it was an old favourite and would not last long. Don't down play it now because of our opinions on it.

I still find it strange u can drink and enjoy this crap but bag a beer you have not tried in 30 years.

But just my opinion so don't go changing you're mind or down playing anything for me 🍻

• Like 2

The last of the Jervis Bay Brewing Company. Of the 8 beers I tried 5 where very good to exceptional and I would get them again. The Lager was boring and insignificant. The Power Sour Boysenberry (sorry, no photo) was, even for my sour loving wife horrible. I was just sour and tasted like the metal can, yuk. The Black Betty Session Stout had some nice flavors, but one fundamental problem. It's a Nitro stout, no bubbles, it always reminds me of a flat beer. Its just not my thing, no satisfaction value. I rather have my k&k homebrew.

But for sure I will drop into their Brew pub next time I am in Jervis Bay and sample more of their other outstanding brews

IMG_8301.JPG

IMG_8303.JPEG

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, Kegory said:

You can still get Vintage 2022?

I walked into a drive-through bottle-o a month ago and asked if he had the new Coopers Vintage Ale.  He said yes, and my hopes rose, until he pointed at a 6 pack of Coopers Vintage 2021.  I said yeah, nar, thanks.

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, Kegory said:

You can still get Vintage 2022?

Ha,ha, didn't even realize that I've got the'22. That's why it was so good. They had two cases at Cut price liquor. They must have found them in the back of their storage as they are rearranging their whole set up. My luck 

• Like 2

Collaboration brew - Behemoth Brewing & Dainton Beer

Ten Hop NEIPA

• It has every hoppy beer aroma you could imagine.
  • Each sniff seems to reveal something different.
  • Mainly tropical, citrus, pineapple and melon.
  • Juicy flavour, but more beer-like than fruit juice.
  • No hint of alcohol for its 10% ABV (although my tongue started to tingle half way through 🤪.  Plus by the time I got to the end, I knew I had just consumed 3 standard drinks)
  • Lots and lots of body and mouthfeel common with these brews.
  • So dangerously drinkable.
  • I also noticed a hint of mint in the aftertaste of this one.  Maybe some Sabro or Zappa in this one.
  • 10/10

IMG_3985.JPG.8d1b7b86fa6e2991ca69a2c58099db98.JPG

• Like 7