Coopers Community

All grain made me forget ...

I'd say so. Having done numerous all grain lagers, they're drinkable at first but they certainly improve more with further cold conditioning. Probably happens faster in kegs though. 

One batch I tapped pretty much the day after it was kegged, and it improved a lot after about a month in the keg. In bottles that improvement might take two months. 

There's no real substitute for long cold conditioning. You just have to have patience and wait for it to do its thing. Of course, personal taste comes into it as well, you may find they're enjoyable enough with less conditioning time.

Stuff that ? but yeah good for lagering. I can't cold condition all my lagers for long periods, it depends on the brewing schedule. The one currently on tap I am able to, it was the first of the two to go in, and I've put it at the back so it will be drunk second after the red ale that went in yesterday which won't be tapped til next weekend. As such, after its nearly two weeks cold in the fermenter it has had another 3 weeks cold in the keg and will get another 3-4 weeks cold before it gets drunk properly. The next one is the second batch of two so while it will also be put in the back, it will have a few weeks less at the cold temps before I drink it. Nice to be able to keep them cold though. I hated letting them warm up to room temperature before chilling them down again.

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/4/2018 at 7:44 PM, Otto Von Blotto said:

There are way better lagers out there than Foster's or Carlsberg Mike. From Czech pilsner to the various German styles through to the modern hoppy ones, the quality is excellent and they have a decent flavour too. 

Hey mate, can you recommend a good commercial example? I've never managed to find a lager I like but I would dearly love to. ?

2 hours ago, PhilboBaggins said:

Hey mate, can you recommend a good commercial example? I've never managed to find a lager I like but I would dearly love to. ?

My go to ones are usually Pilsner Urquell or Budvar. Paulaner is pretty decent too. I don't really drink a lot of commercial ones because I prefer my own ?

• 2 months later...
On 7/24/2018 at 10:51 PM, Otto Von Blotto said:

My go to ones are usually Pilsner Urquell or Budvar. Paulaner is pretty decent too. I don't really drink a lot of commercial ones because I prefer my own ?

Is there a kits and bits recipe for a Pilsner Urquell clone? 

Hi @Silmaril  i brewed the 'Coopers Czech Pils' from the recipes page.

Its no Urquell, but with a bigger hop addition and maybe a hop boil rather than a steep I think you could get something pretty good.

I lowered the ABV with mine to 4.3% , its 47* days in the bottle  and getting better by the week.

Cheers, Lee

*31 of those days lagering

Edited by #granted+brew
I'm a geek
  • Thanks 1

• 1 year later...