Coopers Community

All grain made me forget ...

... that one week in the bottle is nowhere NEAR long enough to wait before tasting a K&K brew. I thought "6 days ... how bad can it be?" about my European Lager, and the answer was. "BAD! IT'S BAD! RUN AWAY!!"

So yeah, must remember the two-week minimum again next time.

My partial mash brews (50/50 grain/extract) are pretty awful at 1 week too.    Weird thing is they often taste less green from the trial jar on bottling day than they do a week in the bottle!

Edited by BlackSands

10 minutes ago, Graculus said:

Especially as the Euro lager is supposed to be left a few weeks before drinking.

I thought Coopers recommended 12 weeks.

That's how long I left mine before trying

You need to have some sneaky ones along the way; just to check null

• Like 1

Technically lagers should be left about 12 weeks at cold temperatures, but I doubt many people have the room to store an entire batch of beer in a fridge for 12 weeks. 

One week is a bit early, though I must admit my all grain lagers are pretty nice even that early. I prefer to leave them longer though.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Hairy said:

You need to have some sneaky ones along the way; just to check null

Well I'd read it can be pretty nasty, and I had heaps of other stuff to drink.

12 weeks after bottling just happened to be Christmas Eve, so I took a few down the road to the village hall for taste testing.

This is actually one of the reasons I went to all grain. I just find it hard to have beers sitting there for 6 plus weeks. For beers to mature. But it’s probably just that I don’t have too much will power to not drink em ha ha ha

Captain

I've only done K& B & extract brews, allways taste great pre priming, most taste good after 1 week, 2-4 weeks seems to be the premium range for hop flavours, after that mine seem to get more mellow yes but also more malty & bitter with far less citrus or hop born flavours.

Cant say Ive struck a grassy beer yet, been up to as much as 120g DH.

Also never done a lager either as I don't drink the stuff, cant remember the last time I even had one, to much Fosters / Carlsberg as a teenager null

Any theories why a kit beer would taste so different after a week compared to an AG beer?

My recent one week tastes were terrible (all grain). NZ pilsner was way too raw and fresh green grain. My XPA was harsh and extra bitter from the hop oils. After 3-4weeks they transformed into different beers completely.

A standard APA is quite drinkable at the one week mark. As long as the hops aren't OTT

There are way better lagers out there than Foster's or Carlsberg Mike. From Czech pilsner to the various German styles through to the modern hoppy ones, the quality is excellent and they have a decent flavour too.

I don't know why a kit beer would taste terrible after a week where an all grain beer may not. Maybe it's just because the wort is made fresh rather than concentrated down into a syrup.

• Like 1

I made an ESB Golden ale, 3kg kit + bits. After 2 weeks in the bottle it tasted like watered down beer. 3 months in the bottle, awesome! Waiting is essential for kits but I have no idea why.... my couple of all grain beers tasted great after three weeks in the bottle.

how long was it in the fv? I normally wait 4 weeks before bottling.

Hi all,

My next brew to be almost ready for drinking is the coopers fresh draught recipe, but brewed using the same method as one of brulosophy's bXmt's .i.e lager yeast fermented at ale temps using w34/70. 

Tasted on Saturday after 14 days in secondary and a couple days in the fridge and was quite happy. I'm really surprised by how much hop flavour and aroma a 12g steep of cascade in 1 litre of boiled water can produce. 

Will enjoy after another couple weeks I think.

Cheers, Lee

2 hours ago, Potatoes said:

how long was it in the fv? I normally wait 4 weeks before bottling.

That's about 2 weeks too long for a standard ale. Once fermentation is done and it's been given a few days to clean up, unless you're cold crashing it you may as well get it in the bottles. It doesn't benefit the beer to leave it sitting on the yeast any longer than is necessary. 

Cheers

Kelsey

15 hours ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

There are way better lagers out there than Foster's or Carlsberg Mike. From Czech pilsner to the various German styles through to the modern hoppy ones, the quality is excellent and they have a decent flavour too.

Fair point, perhaps I should give some of them the time of day 20+ years later but we went to a really good local craft brewery the other week, Scott's in Oamaru, we tried there "golden ale", could have been anything, bland, week / watery an a total thumbs down,

Fortunately we also tried a Nitrogen gassed Pinot Porter, hands down the best porter Ive ever tried, especially of the smooth flow style, also their NZ IPA, a manuka smoked red IPA & another big hop ale, all bloody great!

Maybe Im just ready to go back to my golden years yet,,,,,

Edited by Mikes15

As Kelsey stated, if making a lager beer, it doesn't need to be based on any existing lager out there. You can craft the flavours you want in it to your own desires making it nothing like many of the well known commercial lagers you may remember & eventually became bored with.

The current brew I have in my fermenter is exactly that. A bit of a hybrid. It takes some of the ale characters & flavours/aromas that I like, & matches it with a lager yeast that produces nice malt-friendly characters.

With a bit of dunking here & a bit of squeezing there Mike, who knows what you could create with a lager. ? ?

Cheers,

Lusty.

• Like 1

On 6/4/2018 at 11:21 PM, Otto Von Blotto said:

That's about 2 weeks too long for a standard ale. Once fermentation is done and it's been given a few days to clean up, unless you're cold crashing it you may as well get it in the bottles. It doesn't benefit the beer to leave it sitting on the yeast any longer than is necessary. 

Cheers

Kelsey

Cheers, I’ll try to bottle sooner, damn kids reduce bottling opportunities. Is there any big issue with waiting? I’ve never noticed an issue.

On 6/4/2018 at 10:30 AM, King Ruddager said:

... that one week in the bottle is nowhere NEAR long enough to wait before tasting a K&K brew. I thought "6 days ... how bad can it be?" about my European Lager, and the answer was. "BAD! IT'S BAD! RUN AWAY!!"

So yeah, must remember the two-week minimum again next time.

Does this taste any better now?

I'm brewing k&ks and have always found they're best to be left for at least a few weeks. I was kind of thinking about getting a keg system but guessing they'd still need this same maturation time, does anyone here keg kits or have most people moved on to extract/AG by that point? Would like to try AG but time is a factor and no chance I can spend 6hrs (or even 4 hrs for that matter) on a brew.

Cheers

Neil