Coopers Community

"Emergency" batch

ImaginativeName

Grain to brain in 2 weeks.

AG and kegging would make it easier. I find AG beers condition quicker than extract beers.

Nothing hoppy; something like a Coopers Pale Ale would be good.

If you're not a fussy drinker then you can do it tongue

My first brew was a 2 weeker. Did the Coopers OS lager can with BE2 and a Galaxy Hop tea. 1 week in fermenter then 1 week to carb in bottle. Was quite drinkable and smelt great with the fresh smell of the hops. And it was even very clear pouring at the 1 week. It did improve after 3 weeks but the hop flavour stared to drop off quite a bit.

cheers

Glenn

I'm thinking of putting down an emergency batch that I can drink in 2 weeks.

Am I dreaming?

I'm thinking 3 day ferment' date=' cold crash, bottle.

What's the quickest you've done, and was it a decent beer at that point?

Cheers

JP[/quote']

A low-ish gravity brew fermented at 20-22ºC can reach FG in a couple of days with a good, vigorous yeast. My fastest ferment, using kit yeast for a 1.040 brew was 36hrs. You'd then want to give it at least one or perhaps two more days, before bottling. If conditioned warm, say 20ºC or more then it should be well and truly carb'd after 7 days. My latest brew bottled already feels (PET bottle squeeze) well carb'd after just 4 days.

Obviously any brew done in this time frame won't be a prize winner, and it will be rather 'green' BUT I've sampled plenty after just one week in the bottle, and while not at their best, they have all been quite drinkable and not at all unpleasant.

I'm in a similar boat. So I bought a second fermenter :) And today's brew is happily fermenting away already. I've re-pitched the yeast from the current (other) batch and it took off like a rocket in a couple of hours - would be a great time-saver over the traditional fresh yeast pitch!

I took the Collect bottle (Fermentasaurus) last night and pitched it to the new batch today. So two batches are going from the same yeast :)

The new fermenter is a transparent one as well (Coopers) - the yeasts are having a party in there atm - looks like they're rapidly chasing hop particles all over the place. Busy little dudes :)

If you like them maybe a Hefe would be an option , big pitch of yeast and ferment at 21 and it'll throw banana esters and since they're best drunk young and yeast is a feature of the style you might pull it off .

but i'd be taking my time and drinking less or buying .

I've rushed in 2 brews for a grand final party but i keg and AG so while a bit green they will be ready and carbed up

Considering everything that's been added to this thread, I'm thinking of doing a CPA tin, ferment at 24 degrees for maybe 4 days, bottle it, and hopefully 2 weeks later it's not too bad.

Thoughts?

Edit:

I had some really hot ferments when I first started, and while there is a huge difference in taste between those, and my most recent batches, at the time I thought they were pretty good, so I'm thinking this batch will at least be more palatable than the Homebrand tins.

Cheers

JP

When you say CPA, do you mean the Coopers APA kit? While that kit has nice, low IBUs, it comes with the ale / lager yeast blend. You don't want to ferment the lager yeast at 24C. It is supposed to be fermented at 18C; I would not push it beyond 20C. You could swap the yeast for 100% Cooper Ale yeast, from an OS series kit, but even so, I wouldn't go beyond 23C.

And I would not bottle at four days. Wait at least two days after you hit FG. Personally I would not bottle before eight days.

Cheers,

Christina.

The quickest I've done is 12 days, 6 days to ferment and 6 days to bottle condition. I wouldn't say it was perfect, but it was certainly drinkable. It was a little yeasty and a bit undercarbed. That was all grain. Personally, I've never had an extract batch that didn't need at least 3 weeks in the bottle before it was decent.

I don't even know what a Saison is Greeny' date=' I'll have to look into that.

Also, I've decided against cold crashing anyway, it will just slow things down, I was just eager to try it because I have a ferment fridge set up now.

Cheers

JP[/quote']

Try one in summer JP.. IMO best hot summer day beer.. And the beauty of it is you don't need a fridge or heater or anything. Just let it go ambient. Adds to the character.

https://byo.com/bock/item/1343-saison-style-profile

Archived