Coopers Community

Nail Brewing Golden Ale - I've got to clone this!!

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Same Ruddy , been on my " to brew list " for a little while now and that's booked out till end of august

Then there's a few brews for swapping just in time to get my summer brew schedule in place

#firstworld problems

Well done Wotto , 1272 is a great strain but i didn't pick up much in the way of esters in the original so hope you brewed it a little on the cool side but either way should turn out a great beer

MO is a great malt and glad i bought a sack of it

Yeah, again I had some harvested 1272 in the fridge so used it. I had it going at 18 degrees... it could have been colder but I think it should be ok. Maris Otter is my go to base malt for just about everything!

• 4 weeks later...
Any results on this yet?

I've had a couple of bottles, it's been about 2 to 3 weeks bottled now. The hop aroma and flavour is very strong but good. I still need to find an actual Nail bottle to compare it too. Online says my local Dan's has it but buggered if I can find it. I think I stuffed up a bit too, I forgot to untick the 'Whirlpool hop additions' box in my Beersmith profile so undershot my IBU target by a bit. Still a nice beer though!

lol I like that you haven't had the original yet.

What were your hop additions (g/L)?

20g @ 15mins ~ 14IBU

25g @ 5mins ~ 7 IBU

25g @ Dry hop.

It's a 25L batch. I think the 15 and 5 mins should have been upped 5g each to increase the IBU's. Possibly down the dry hop to 20g as it's a bit unbalanced.

The bottle reckons it's 30 IBUs

Yeah i know. This was one of the first chilled brews I did and forgot to change the hop utilisation field. If it was no chilled' date=' it was going to be 31 IBU's. [img']rolleyes[/img] It's still really nice, just a tad sweet.

• 3 months later...

Almost time to brew this guy! I have my 100th video up next too so I might do a brew-day spectacular where I make two batches and also bottle some beer and have party hats and cake. I'm thinking of doing one all grain and one extract, using the standard Dr Smurto base of light and wheat LME.

I'm also considering bittering with magnum, as according to the LHBS you should "use [galaxy] carefully if you aren't used to big hop flavour. The harshness that can occur when used as a bittering hop that comes from the high cohumulone levels, dissipates with some aging and smooths out to reveal the wonderful flavours of this local hop."

Then again, maybe not.

Woah, Galaxy you crazy kid!

My all grain version is looking like getting most of its bitterness from a 40g flameout addition of hops! I'll only need 5g @60 for bittering!! That's based on 15.9%AA, as quoted on the LHBS's website.

Incidentally I'm going with 1.5g/L at flameout and 0.75 g/L dry, which is pretty much in line with the Smurto quantities

It doesn't matter where it is' date=' does it? It's more about how long it takes to cool down to the point where the hop oils slow down and stop doing their thing.[/quote']

Yes.

Another another question - would galaxy be a good candidate for FWH?

Long boiling of any kind with this hop is not advisable. I have FWH'd with it & found it still garnered a harsh bittering tone.

Not long back Christina raised an idea of altering the standard timeframes of FWH'ing. Normally after the initial steep time a long 60min+ boil occurs. Christina floated the idea of shortening that boil time after the steep. In theory I think it's a terrific idea' date=' but I'm yet to test it. I'll have to get around to doing that sometime.

If it were me Ruddy, I'd short boil the Galaxy @ 20mins &/or below, or in your case use some Magnum @ 60mins to be on the safe side as I hear you have plenty of it lying around! [img']tongue[/img]

Cheers & good luck with the brew.

Lusty.

KR, I've just made a brew, more similar to a Stone and Wood Pacific ale, using a lot of wheat, also used 40g of galaxy at flameout only, mine is 13.8%aa from 2015 harvest.

I have made a similar beer in early 2016, before I knew how savage the bitterness can be from this crazy hop.. just looking at the recipe now, it had 6g galaxy at 60 mins, 10g at 20 mins and 10g at 5 mins and 35g at flameout, 40g dry hopped. So 71g in hot and 40 cold.

I can tell you that this beer although impressive in aroma had a mouth coating harsh bitterness. My brewcipher spreadsheet had it as 33IBU's but that was with the flameout specs set to 10 mins at average temp 95c.

Since that time using no-chill I have changed my spreadsheet settings to show more like 90c average for 40 mins. This ups the predicted IBUs from 33 to over 50. 33 is too high for this style of beer anyway.

So to my latest batch, I did use 40g at flameout, had them in the hop spider for about 5 mins at flameout, shaking it and recircing through it to release the flavours. Took them out and let stand for 10 mins. Racked to cube, another say 8 mins. Then after maybe 5 mins of allowing the cube to be hit with the heat to sanitise, lowered the cube (HDPE jerry) in to the backyard swimming pool, which I have taken to doing with beers like this. Put in front of the water flow from filter outlet. Was down to 24 c 2 hrs later.

Tasting the wort, and also the mostly fermented beer, it does still have quite a bite to the bitterness. I will need to taste when ready to really determine, but for this style of beer I think I will go a lot lower on the galaxy next time on the hot side. I think I will add a small magnum charge to achieve say 15 IBU’s and maybe a much smaller flameout galaxy addition, or even try cube hopping for the first time. (visions of a guy hopping over some cubes..) Then hit it with a larger galaxy dry hop.

I know brulosophy or someone else did an experiment on the co-humulone % not really making a difference with the ‘harshness’ of bittering, but I really think galaxy which is a high co-humulone hop should be not relied upon to supply the bitterness. The flavours you get from it however, are divine. In fact I think I’m going to make my next version with magnum bittering only an dry hop all the galaxy and see how that goes.

I tasted the version that the Endeavour Tap Rooms had there in the rocks (when I was going to the Midnight Oil concert a couple of weeks back, wow that was great!) and their version was smooth, just a hint of bitterness, and plenty of that galaxy goodness.

It doesn't matter where it is' date=' does it? It's more about how long it takes to cool down to the point where the hop oils slow down and stop doing their thing.

[/quote']To a degree. Early boil additions aren't affected by no-chilling or at least not enough to be worried about (talking an increase of maybe 1IBU). It's the late and flameout additions that are the affected ones.

What I mean is that, unless the act of draining it into your cube has a dramatic effect on temperature, isn't that just some arbitrary point in time from the point of isomerising (is that a word?) hop oils and not the actual point at which isomerisation slows down and stops?

Like headmaster, I have made some beautiful beers with Galaxy with passionfruit aromas and flavours literally jumping out of the glass. AND some with that harsh bitterness. I have attributed my last fail brew of 50g at flameout and 50g dry hop to the poorly stored hops as there is an onion/garlic/vegetative flavour in there, but it could be bitterness. It is hard for me to tell.

I am going to persevere with getting it right with this hop! I want to make a Pacific Ale and perhaps for my above schedule I will do 25g flameout, wait 20mins or so, then add another 25g. Or cube hop like headmaster is proposing.

Then 50g dry hop.

The malt bill of my last Pacific Ale was spot on, it was either stale hops or a poor hopping schedule (or both) that let me down. Determined to get there! Even if I have to make a rule that Galaxy only goes in as a dry hop in my brewery. Time will tell.

Look forward to hearing the results of this "pool chill" Pacific Ale Mark.

Cheers,

Jools

What I mean is that' date=' unless the act of draining it into your cube has a dramatic effect on temperature, isn't that just some arbitrary point in time from the point of isomerising (is that a word?) hop oils and not the actual point at which isomerisation slows down and stops?[/quote']Yeah I get what you mean now. Given the hop oils, or more the alpha acids, would be released from the hops during their time in the wort, they'd still be isomerising after transfer to the cube. I measured the temp of the wort after a 20 minute stand and before transfer once at 92C. I'd expect the transfer would probably knock another 2-3C off it at a guess. It should also be noted that the rate of isomerisation drops with temperature so it's not going to be going at the same rate at transfer time as it would be at boiling, and will only lessen further as the wort cools.

Next brew day I'll take a measurement of the temp before and after transfer just out of curiosity, it would be interesting to see what the difference is.

Cheers

Kelsey

Look forward to hearing the results of this "pool chill" Pacific Ale Mark.

Dry hopping 60g galaxy now, at 14°c. Will cold crash probably in a day or two.

Tastes better after dry hops went in, but yeah, there's that harsh mouth coating bitterness there for sure. Not as bad as my last dalliance with galaxy in hot though.

Will probably settle down after a few weeks in the bottle, but I think for the next one I will only dry hop the galaxy, so use a bit of magnum for bitterness and then galaxy in dry.

Tasting the Endeavor tap rooms effort, I reckon they probably did something similar.

Archived