Coopers Community

Nail Brewing Golden Ale - I've got to clone this!!

Hi headmaster.

Look forward to hearing the results of this "pool chill" Pacific Ale Mark.

Tastes better after dry hops went in' date=' but yeah, there's that harsh mouth coating bitterness there for sure. Not as bad as my last dalliance with galaxy in hot though.[/quote']

Galaxy is not a hop to spend at isomerisation temperatures for any lengthy amount of time, Period. It's a hop that no-chillers really should avoid or only use for dry hopping as most no-chillers have no idea how long the wort is at & above 80°C where bitterness is continually being created from any hop additions they have added during the boil/post boil while the wort is still very hot.

...Will probably settle down after a few weeks in the bottle' date='[/quote']

I wouldn't bet on it. If the harsh bitterness is there now, it will likely take some time to dissipate as bitterness is the last of the hop derived influences to mellow.

...but I think for the next one I will only dry hop the galaxy' date='[/quote']

Instead of just turfing your no-chill cube in the pool next time, maybe attach a cheap temp probe to it & monitor the temperature as it cools. This information will allow you to better understand what your late hop additions (in particular) are doing in regards to the bitterness they are adding. With this knowledge you can certainly use hops such as Galaxy during your boil process without having to supplement them for other 'pussy' hops. tongue

...so use a bit of magnum for bitterness...

Man' date=' they just keep lining up don't they? [img']rolleyes[/img]

...Tasting the Endeavor tap rooms effort' date=' I reckon they probably did something similar.[/quote']

I doubt it. They just chill their wort post boil as most commercial breweries do. wink

Good luck with your future brews.

Lusty.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just remembered I recently met the girl who operates the Tap Rooms, my brother knows her well and introduced me to her a couple of weeks back, and I have her email address. So I may as well just ask for the hop schedule :-)

The problem I have found is not exactly with the amount of bitterness with this latest batch, it's the harsh nature of the bitterness it imparts that I dislike, hence the suggestion of magnum, a tried and true bettering hop.

So even if I used a chiller, I suspect I would still reject it as a choice for bittering. I do love the hop though, it has the most amazing flavours. I have just used the last of my 500g pack and will be ordering more asap.

The problem I have found is not exactly with the amount of bitterness with this latest batch' date=' it's the harsh nature of the bitterness it imparts that I dislike, hence the suggestion of magnum, a tried and true bettering hop.[/quote']

That is purely from long boiling the hop. Keep your Galaxy additions to 20mins & below in the boil & you will avoid this harsh tone. Obviously factor this into your no-chilling method. Knowing how long your no-chill wort takes to cool below 80°C will help you do that more accurately.

So even if I used a chiller' date=' I suspect I would still reject it as a choice for bittering.[/quote']

Modern hopping techniques use shorter timeframes for boiling hops. Remember hops produce bitterness at all points in the boil, not just @ 60mins+ boiled. wink

Cheers,

Lusty.

Copy that BL, but for this latest batch, my only hop addition was at flameout, i.e. nothing in the boil, as per my earlier post:

"So to my latest batch, I did use 40g at flameout, had them in the hop spider for about 5 mins at flameout, shaking it and recircing through it to release the flavours. Took them out and let stand for 10 mins. Racked to cube, another say 8 mins. Then after maybe 5 mins of allowing the cube to be hit with the heat to sanitise, lowered the cube (HDPE jerry) in to the backyard swimming pool, which I have taken to doing with beers like this. Put in front of the water flow from filter outlet. Was down to 24 c 2 hrs later. "

So maybe it was just this batch of 2015 galaxy, but my experience with this latest batch are enough to avoid using it above 80C. Bought this galaxy back in 2016 from memory from hopdealz when it existed, vac sealed. I split into 5x100g, vac sealed and kept in deep freeze since.

I've been wondering for a while how I can achieve a hop-stand (sub 80C) with my no chill set up.

I too have added 50g Galaxy at flameout (2015 hops as well headmaster) and was not happy with the result. It could be the old hops, the hop schedule and long steep above 80C while it chilled in the cube.

Could I add 25g Galaxy at flameout, wait my 15 to 20mins then dump the entire kettle in a water/ice bath? (as I don't have an immersion chiller). The wort would get down to sub 80C pretty quickly using this technique. Then I could hop stand at around 79C for a bit (or just cube hop). Is 79C hot enough for pasteurisation to take place when it hits the cube? Or am I just risking an infected cube?

From my research they pasteurise milk by bringing it to 72C and holding it there for 15 seconds. Would I be OK as long as my wort was above 72C when it hit the cube?

"So to my latest batch' date=' I did use 40g at flameout, had them in the hop spider for about 5 mins at flameout, shaking it and recircing through it to release the flavours. Took them out and let stand for 10 mins. Racked to cube, another say 8 mins. Then after maybe 5 mins of allowing the cube to be hit with the heat to sanitise, lowered the cube (HDPE jerry) in to the backyard swimming pool, which I have taken to doing with beers like this. Put in front of the water flow from filter outlet. Was down to 24 c 2 hrs later. "[/i']

So with this brew the Galaxy hops were at isomerisation temperatures for approx. 28mins (5+10+8+5) plus whatever time it took in the cube to cool below 80°C in your swimming pool. I would suggest this is why the harsh tone presented, as the hop has spent too much time in very hot wort. pinched

Cheers,

Lusty.

Just bottled this brew last night, and after dry hopping at 14c and then cold crashing to 1c with geletine for a few days, the harshness of the bitterness has surprisingly settled down, and now tastes quite balanced, so I guess I'm not so sworn against using galaxy in the wort after all that...

I think I will reduce the flameout to 25 to 30g though after this. Will know more when it's carbed and ready to drink in a week or so and report back then.

Very interesting that the bitterness has faded Mark. Mine is about 5 weeks in the bottle and it is very harsh upfront but the tastebuds adjust after a while and the beer becomes drinkable (just).

I am going to try 25g flameout hop, 25g cube hop and 50g dry hop on my next brew of my recipe. Determined to nail this beer so I can brew a batch every few months for birthday parties, events and giveaways.

The gelatine may have had something to do with that. It can apparently strip hop influence from beers' date=' another reason I don't use it. [/quote']

Although I haven’t done any official experiments I agree with this. When I have used gelatin in the past my hop flavour and aroma seemed to be lacking. A heap of people are obsessed with having crystal clear beer (I used to be one) but after noticing the drop in flavour and aroma I no longer use gelatin. A good cold crash will help with clearing of the beer but either way I am not really fussed about clarity anymore.

Youngie

The fluffy sediment was the main reason I stopped using gelatine, I only heard about the apparent hop flavor stripping later.

I now use isinglass and Polyclar and have done for the last 2.5-3 years; the isinglass drops the yeast into a nice compact sediment and the Polyclar removes polyphenols thus preventing chill haze from forming, and I haven't had any drop off in hop flavor from doing this. When I was bottling I didn't use isinglass but I like as little sediment as possible in my kegs. It has prevented the muddy first pour that is often talked about.

Next brew day I'll take a measurement of the temp before and after transfer just out of curiosity' date=' it would be interesting to see what the difference is.

[/quote']Forgot to post about this. I did take temp readings of the wort after its 20 minute stand in the urn and after transferring to the cube. After the 20 minute stand it was sitting at 92.5C, and had dropped to about 88C by the time the cube was filled. I'll do this again around April and also in the coldest part of the year to see what difference the ambient temp makes to the rate of temp drop.

Next brew day I'll take a measurement of the temp before and after transfer just out of curiosity' date=' it would be interesting to see what the difference is.

[/quote']Forgot to post about this. I did take temp readings of the wort after its 20 minute stand in the urn and after transferring to the cube. After the 20 minute stand it was sitting at 92.5C, and had dropped to about 88C by the time the cube was filled. I'll do this again around April and also in the coldest part of the year to see what difference the ambient temp makes to the rate of temp drop.

For what its worth. Today in Bendigo shed at 29c (AHD 180m). Rolling boil at 99c in 1.038 wort (mid strength). Kettle at 20 min of 88c and finished no chill cube at 84c. Used a thermapen 1 yr old and got 100c in boiling water.

For what its worth. Today in Bendigo shed at 29c (AHD 180m). Rolling boil at 99c in 1.038 wort (mid strength). Kettle at 20 min of 88c and finished no chill cube at 84c. Used a thermapen 1 yr old and got 100c in boiling water.

That's interesting, if anything the wort should be boiling at a higher temp than plain water, not by much, but higher. In any case, I'm not sure what the temp was on my brew day but I brew on the deck and it does get the arvo sun so that maybe helped slow the speed of the temp drop down a bit.

For some reason my wort boils at about 103C, but maybe the thermometer is out a bit. I'll test it in boiling water today and see what it says.

Just bottled this brew last night' date=' and after dry hopping at 14c and then cold crashing to 1c with geletine for a few days, the harshness of the bitterness has surprisingly settled down, and now tastes quite balanced, so I guess I'm not so sworn against using galaxy in the wort after all that...

I think I will reduce the flameout to 25 to 30g though after this. Will know more when it's carbed and ready to drink in a week or so and report back then. [/quote']

This beer is actually bloody sensational now. Bitterness is now bang on, not harsh, the kolsch yeast works with the galaxy and 40% wheat summer ale formula very well. would not try the amount I used at FO unless chilling like I did in the pool though.

Headmaster, that is great to hear. I don't have a pool, but I do have a big bucket and stacks of ice! I will be brewing after Christmas, will not be doing 50g at flameout. Rather 25g flameout, maybe 10min steep at most, then 25g cube hope and cube chill.

Will report back on the brew and how it compares to my over-bitter and harsh Galaxy Pale Ale (that I am still drinking - it's not unbearable)

Archived