Coopers Community

Coopers Commercial Practices

Beerlust

Hi guys.

If you are part of the Coopers Club you would have received information regarding a limited Coopers commercial Amber Ale being released on tap around the traps. This follows the recent release of their commercially released IPA under the same hood.

I would personally like to commend Coopers for this new venture that I feel holds true to their roots as a diverse ale brewing brewery. I like the fact that Coopers are still holding true to ale brewing & again embracing seasonal brewing as part of it's make-up. The commercial Thomas Coopers range is in a bit of a limbo stage apart from the ESVA, & a seasonal approach is perfect I feel for what Coopers want to tell their followers & new drinkers into the market to what is available & what is possible on a large scale commercial platform.

I love it! happy

ToYouSir.jpg

Sincerely, hats off Coopers! cool

Persist & you will turn the tide sale-wise (IMHO) some way in your favour.

Cheers & best wishes Coopers,

Lusty.

• 7 months later...

I just tried a Coopers Celebration Ale for the first time yesterday. It is supposed to be 30 IBUs and frankly to me it tasted like about 10 to 15 IBUs as it seemed to be even less bitter than XXXX Gold. I put this down to the crystal malt in it which for me was way over done. This beer in my view was just way too sweet and cloying for my palate. I could taste the malt quite well but the hops were practically non existent for my palate.

It originally poured with a good head which didn't seem to persist as well as it should with no lacing or cathedral windows left in the glass afterwards. To be fair it wasn't one of my glasses as I consumed it at a commercial establishment. The taste reminded me of a brew that I tipped last year which was over sweet caused by too much crystal in my grist. I'm not saying there is anything wrong with Coopers Celebration Ale, its just that it doesn't suit my individual palate. My next beer was a Coopers Pale Ale which tasted more bitter than the Celebration Ale.

Kelsey - that was one thing that did cross my mind and I think most craft beers suffer from that up here to some extent. I bought a box of Gage Roads Sleeping Giant once and was impressed and the next box left me disappointed somewhat. I think the capital cities would have a higher turnover rate, hence more fresh hop flavours. I've almost given up buying craft beers up here to trial for that reason. I'm usually disappointed by them and think its been a waste of money.

I'm not sure what Coopers class the Celebration Ale as, but it looks, & tastes like a slightly hoppy Amber Ale to me. So it should taste sweet & not be noticeably bitter. I've made the homebrew recipe & loved it! love

Are there any seasonal brews planned for on premise venues again this year?

Cheers,

Lusty.

Perhaps you got an old bottle Morrie? This is one style that is best consumed when young - as a fresh brew the hops really sing!

It sits quite nicely in the American Amber Ale category. One could argue that the Coopers Yeast, being more estery than a typical american ale yeast, moves it slightly away from this style.

There probably is another "draught only" brew in the pipeline. Don't know what or when. I think a Porter would be nice but we are already into cooler months, which traditionally is the time for promoting BES and the latest ESVA. So I'm guessing it might be something aimed at spring drinking??unsure

Hi Paul. smile

There probably is another "draught only" brew in the pipeline. Don't know what or when. I think a Porter would be nice but we are already into cooler months' date=' which traditionally is the time for promoting BES and the latest ESVA. So I'm guessing it might be something aimed at spring drinking??[img']unsure[/img]

I don't mind the fact that Coopers push the Winter months with their Stout & ESVA. I wouldn't change that to be honest, as they are terrific beers suited to that season (in particular) & personally I'd market them more aggressively if it were me.

The other 3 seasons however, offer a lot of scope for variety without interfering with Coopers standard line sales that much I wouldn't think, that some freedom of experimentation on their part could reap some real consistent interest each year.

Cheers,

Lusty.

PB2 - I'd say that's a contributing factor for sure that I most likely had an aged bottle. Also I think I've had what is known as a "lupulin shift" where one can get used to a level of bitterness and craves for more. http://allaboutbeer.com/article/the-joy-of-beer-and-the-lupulin-effect/

Human Beings apparently are the only species that can crave bitterness as it is usually a warning to other creatures to beware.

Having said that when I went on vacation at Christmas I decided to try some 4 Pines and that really hit the spot for me on bitterness. I can't drink the megaswill lagers anymore as they just taste like lolly water to me now. I usually brew anywhere from 30 to 50 IBUs.

I can't drink the megaswill lagers anymore as they just taste like lolly water to me now. I usually brew anywhere from 30 to 50 IBUs.
Same, they definitely taste sweet to me these days compared to when I was 18 or 19 and first venturing out into pubs for a drink or 10. My home brews are also between 30-50 IBUs, mostly around the 40 mark; I do increase it for porters and stouts although they don't taste bitter due to the big malt backbone.

...I think I've had what is known as a "lupulin shift" where one can get used to a level of bitterness and craves for more. http://allaboutbeer.com/article/the-joy-of-beer-and-the-lupulin-effect/

There is something to be said for that Morrie. On a personal level' date=' the bitterness factor of a beer can be a very influential factor on whether the beer is more or less enjoyable given it's overall make-up.

I'd personally be interested in your thoughts if you brewed the kit based version of the Coopers Celebration Ale & upped the bitterness by approx. 15-20 IBU's, given your apparent bitterness likeness level.

Malt sweetness vs notable bitterness is always an interesting talking point among brewers when discussing levels across all the styles.

Cheers,

Lusty.[/size']

Lusty - Its a funny thing that's for sure and I can't really put my finger on it. Maybe the hops deteriorated with age and the crystal became more dominant. I maybe getting like Blacksands and not wanting anything to do with any form of crystal malt whatsoever, especially after tipping that brew last year due to over sweetness. Consequently the sweetness of the crystal in the Celebration Ale just turned me off it.

Having said that I tipped a brew last year is not 100% entirely true. I kept a dozen and every now and again SWMBO whacks it into a big beef pie like we used to do with Guiness and I can tell you it makes one delicious pie.

Local climate has a lot to do with what is enjoyable with beers too.

Do you reside in the upper QLD area Morrie? unsure

Ben10 has expressed a similar dislike for crystal malts & he resides in N/QLD. I've been up there on holidays & admit I probably wouldn't enjoy some of the fuller malted & slightly sweeter beer styles if I lived up there permanently either. It's getting cold down here in the lower southern hemisphere & I admit I enjoy brews that have a sweeter malt character & a little more alcohol warmth as a whole, & adjust my malt grist accordingly at different times of the year here to suit.

It's one of those "horses for courses" scenarios I reckon. wink

Cheers,

Lusty.

Yep, Mackay. Not quite upper but getting up there above the tropic of Capricorn. I wear a light coat less times than the number of fingers I have most years and I work outdoors and indoors. I think peoples tastes change over their lifetime too. I remember starting off on white wines and then to lolly water lambrusco before hitting the dry reds and then after several years preferring the whites back again.

Even in Brisbane those heavy crystal influenced ales aren't the greatest over the warmer months. At this time of year they are very nice, which will last through to probably October before it turns back into more of a refreshing beer type climate.

Being AG, I generally don't change the grain make up, but change the mash temp and water profile instead. At this time of year I'll mash warmer so it finishes at a higher FG to get more of that maltiness into the beer and give it a fuller body, as well as not making the water profile so far towards hoppy. I normally use about 5-6% medium crystal in my pale ales and when mashed lower they don't turn out overly sweet or heavy bodied at all. That suits better in the warmer times.

In regards to palate changing I definitely enjoy more hoppier beers since starting homebrewing and experimenting with beers in the last 2 years.

But I think Morrie must have got an old bottle of Celebration Ale, or one that had been in and out the fridge in the bottle shop or something..

It is one of the few beers that I buy when I have ran out of my own ale.

Coopers Celebration Ale, Adnams Ghost Ship, Gage Roads Sleeping Giant and Coopers Extra Stout are the ones I buy cartons of when there's no homebrew ready.

Full of flavour and decent value for money!

Cheers

James

Archived