Coopers Community

Good Viewing for beer drinking!

Payno

Hey fellow brewers

I don't know about the rest of you but when Winter arrives I tend to hibernate a bit and spend more time watching TV instead of sitting outside listening to music - while I drink some nice dark winter brews.

So After the season final of 'GOT' this week and enjoying season 4 of Rake (as mentioned with Jeremy!) I thought I would mention a few good TV series that Im enjoying, particularly for those that have cable, and also some old fav's for those who might prefer to rent the DVD's and binge watch while its cold and dreary outside. ( not to mention Netflix etc). Please recommend what you are enjoying or have enjoyed - always keen to try something else.

I am a self confessed TV addict - but quite choosy in what I watch. But now days we are spoilt for choice. I like most HBO series but also like others aswell, so if you are wondering what to watch after Game of Thrones has finished, some I am watching are:

Rake (AUS) - Season 4

Ray Donovan (US) - next season about to start

Peaky Blinders (UK) - next season about to start aswell

Shameless (US Version ) - Series 6

Vikings (SBS) just finished season 4...cant wait for the next lot

Orange is the New Black (US) - just recorded next season

Some of my all time favourites are:

The Sopranos (US).....the best by faaaar!

Breaking Bad (US)

Sons of Anarchy (US)......except for the last season or two

Boardwalk Empire (US)

Rome (UK) - only 2 seasons

House of Cards (US)...awaiting season 3

Any other recommendations?

Cant remember when we watched Free to Air TV, to many damn ads and poor content.

Pretty much the same as you we enjoy TV series and movies in Winter.

I found the latest Orange is New Black pretty boring, seems to be same stories etc.

A couple you might like to add to your list

"Making a murderer"

"True Detective"

"Wentworth"

"IT Crowd"

I'm probably not gonna be much help here as I don't really watch much TV. In winter I watch the footy with a beer and in summer I watch the cricket with a beer. Or ten beers. Whatever I feel like. lol

Other than that it's usually Family Guy DVDs or whatever movies we feel like watching. I do enjoy the murder and other investigation type dramas though. One of my favourites was a British series called Waking the Dead, which is basically about a team of detectives investigating cold cases. It's way better than the American version - unimaginatively titled Cold Case. I find the yanks over-dramatise shit too much and it takes away from the storyline. I don't mind Criminal Minds, but otherwise I favour the British ones.

I don't have Foxtel or Netflix at my place because I just don't watch enough TV to bother or justify the expense, most of it is garbage anyway, although my girlfriend has both at hers, so we do use the Netflix a bit for movies when we're there. Otherwise I'd rather be out tinkering with something or getting out of the house and doing stuff, but at least in winter up here that is a viable option unless it's raining. biggrin

Cheers

Kelsey

With temps in Radelaide low enough to force me to wear 2 beanies ,2 jumpers and a extra layers everywhere I can the TV is getting a proper workout this winter.

I mostly watch semi intelligent programs (go ABC /SBS )

Archer is a bit warped but very funny , same voice as Bob's burgers

Just finished season 3 of HBO's Silicon Valley. Must watch esp those in the Tech / IT industry. Some really clever writing in there.

Another year until GoT and Silicon Valley! Ten episodes is not enough :(

Also try:

Narcos

Mr Robot

I got rid of Foxtel so wasn't able to watch GoT season 6 as they aired. I am watching it now though and just finished episode 2.

I have Netflix and have watched a few series on it:

Daredevil

Brooklyn Nine Nine

Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt

Narcos

Rake

House of Cards (still going)

Arrow

The Moodys

Suits

Blue Mountain State

Gotham

Plus a few movies and stand up comedy shows.

I tend to watch them with my wife so we need to find common ground with these shows.

Payno we have very similar tastes. Nothing could topple Sopranos, it was brilliant watching and years ahead of the pack in terms of what a tv series could be.

You've listed most that I think come close behind Sopranos, but two that aren't on your list that I rate very very highly are Deadwood and The Wire. Get on them mate, they are excellent.

Thanks Farls - did watch season 1 of the Wire but haven't got back to it ...bit like Mad Men.

You're right - Nothing beats the Soprano's - I own the whole lot and have watched them end to end about 4 or 5 times - never gets old. Must give Deadwood a go sometime too - cheers,

thanks for some of the other recommendations too - 'Beersgonewild - have seen Wentworth and love IT crowd and been waiting to do True Detective...have heard great things about it.

have to admit to not having heard of most of yours CaffeinatedSentryGnome and Hairy - assume they are a bit non mainstream.

Oh Kelsey - always figured you for a Sports tragic! the footy (especially if its Rugby union) I can understand but cricket?......way too slow for me!

Jool's - Ive heard good things about Mr Robot and narco's too

cheers

Well thankfully I'm not a total tragic, I can actually play cricket lol I grew up with it and know the game inside out; the tactics make it interesting viewing to me even if it's not exactly spectacular. I can quite easily sit there and watch a 5 day Test, if any ever last that long anymore. My footy of choice is AFL although I don't mind union either. Certainly prefer it over league.

You're spot on with Rake, Hairy.

I've been recording the latest series to catch up on when we have time.

Thoroughly recommend it, if you can find the first three series somewhere.

I don't watch much TV either. I've been getting up early to watch the football,

played with a round ball, lately. England of course lived up to my expectations.

I've been able to have a beer at some of the 11pm kick offs,

but the 2 & 5 am are a bit early to be drinking.

Archived