Coopers Community

Boutique pale ales

Corksniffer

So I been drinking pale ales for many years before brewing. You know; the Fat Yak types with weird names from all over small breweries. They're all very similar and own a unique hoppiness I think is a lot of late dry hopping (?) I've been drinking a few lately and now that I brew I'm really disliking them... I generally like their nice maltiness but the strength of hop character is way too high and out of balance for me to the point I tip it a few sips in. I'm mainly just sampling the colour and looking for ideas but it's strange they're not my taste anymore. Ha, had a White Rabbit (Little Creatures brewery) "Belgian" pale ale yesterday. Don't ask me where the Belgian comes from.. tasted just like an Australian one to me. So I'm favouring all these lighter styles alot. What's happening to me!? :D but the Wife likes those too and you know what they say.. happy Wife, and life. I'm putting fruit in beer now.. :/ wtf lol

I deserve that (haha!) You know I forgot to add too: even with fruit zest I find recipe ideas too much flavour too. Say a recipe with 3-4 oranges (let alone multiple other citrus as well) is over the top. It tastes like a weird orange drink. No real hint of bber so I like to jeep equality of the yeast if it's a good one and hops etc in balance

Hi BrotherBoy.

Sounds like you're too used to those pisswater Mexican beers. lol

+1

Hops will put hair on your chest' date=' & you look like you could do with a few! [img']lol[/img] whistling

BrotherBoy + Lots more hops = BrotherMan biggrin

Cheers & good brewing,

Lusty.

[hide] [/hide]Ha. You wanna see me in the flesh! lol

In all seriousness, really it's no 'contest' people like different cars, Women, AND while you might have a hard time believing, beer too.. Mike Tyson did ballet

Jus sayin man..

See yez

I generally like their nice maltiness but the strength of hop character is way too high and out of balance for me to the point I tip it a few sips in.

Sounds like an American Amber or English Pale would work for you.

Try Lusty's Mosaic or Otto's Red for nice Ambers.

I am just about to put down an Irish Red Ale. I won't be adding any flavour hops to the recipe & it is a great drop.

Having said that, I have just bottled a pale ale which you would put into the "hoppy" category. The brew before that was a wheat beer with a lemon myrtle tea added half way through fermentation.

I guess I have all bases covered.

I generally like their nice maltiness but the strength of hop character is way too high and out of balance for me to the point I tip it a few sips in.

Sounds like an American Amber or English Pale would work for you.

Try Lusty's Mosaic or Otto's Red for nice Ambers.

A malty lager like a Marzen or Vienna might also be good or perhaps a Bohemian Pilsner.

Not all Mexican beers are watery light American lagers; they do a few Mexican Vienna lagers that might appeal to you.

Archived