Coopers Community

Two whirlpool, or not two whirlpool?

King Ruddager

You'll get it down pat, it does take a few batches to work it out. My first AG batch ended up with a lesser than planned volume as well actually. But, once I worked the system out I simply put two marks on my urn next to the sight gauge: one for the initial strike water volume, and one where to start the boil timer. Of course, I could simply squeeze out the bag pre-boil and start the boil with an extra litre or so of wort, but my current process works well enough.

Jeremy you shouldn't have any problem with trub if you are able to leave most of the crud in the kettle. Perhaps pouring the wort through a sanitized stocking into the FV might help keep most of it out.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply
No dramas' date=' the best way to learn is to experience it. I'm sure your beer won't be crappy. Everything will settle in the FV.

When I used to make partial mash beers, I didn't have a tap on my kettle. After chilling, I would pour the wort into the FV through a strainer. Even so, a lot of the trub and break material went into the FV. One of my bigger beers with a heap of wheat ended up with so much trub that it was above the tap in the FV. After a week I had to rack to secondary or else I would have had a lot of trouble bottling.

The beer was fine.[/quote']

This is what I'm gonna have to deal with. I thought my wort was pretty clear but with yeast active and not a lot of trub settled yet the beer's very grainy - I'm interested to see how high it piles up with the cold crash. I'm used to dealing with the yeast fallout alone.

I only ever had to rack to secondary on one occasion. I always had a lot of trub with the partial mash beers but time in the FV and cold crashing always compacted it well below the tap. Fermentation tends to stir a lot of it up.

Due to interruptions with my chiller I had to leave my wort for over an hour after a whirl pool!

It was a realy clean clear pilsner wort and the trub was so visiable and I managed to avoid adding any to my fermenter,

I was so supprised just how separate the wort was from the thick cloud of dirty trub... and having the outlet on the side of the keggle worked great!

The whirl pool a must for me!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

That seems to save me arguing my point GIgantor,

Nice one bro...

I noticed the first one is!

Quicker chilling...

As we all agreed clearer wort... this incourages a trub mound as scotties pic shows...

And increased hop and aroma! (Note 70degree additions can be added with zero IBUs)

Archived