Coopers Community

It's Kegging Time!

• Replies 867
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just finished fast carbing up a keg of an American styled Pale Ale I like to brew. Smells & tastes good & had a firm bitterness from the FV sample. I'll see how that bitterness settles (44IBU) as for a Pale Ale it felt a little high on the palate. FV samples can be a little misleading sometimes too.

Easy little kit brew next. Spirit Of Anzac Ale set down for the weekend. smile

Cheers,

Lusty.

That's what I originally had on it, but I found it wasn't cutting it for keeping the lines cold inside it in the height of summer, so I decided on this Cobra flooded font to replace it. The other benefit of the new one is that all the taps are the same height - I found on the old font that it was hard to get a decent head on the beer at times because there wasn't enough room between the tap and the drip tray to have it froth up. It probably would have worked if I could have had the taps pouring full speed but the heat saw that become impossible without pouring a ton of foam.

I have Perlick 650SS Flow control taps on it, had to get some adapter thingies with that new font to be able to put them on it. The handles themselves I just bought on eBay at various times. Felt like something a bit more fancy than black plastic. lol

I kegged my Centennial/MO SMaSH ale yesterday, and as always had a taste test from some of the leftover beer in the FV. I think it's gonna be a pretty good one once it's on the tap in about 3 weeks time. I gave it a 3/4 carb with my spare gas line attached to a liquid disconnect in order to put the gas in through the beer out diptube and keep the keg upright.

I reckon once this keg of ESB that's in there is empty, I'll put this keg and the Cascade pale keg in the fridge but not connect them up until the third keg is ready in three weeks. That keg can sit at the back - theory being that the two at the front will be ready to drink earlier and thus the one at the back should empty after the other two, which would make life a lot easier in regard to removing and cleaning the kegs and lines etc. Of course, how that works in reality is another matter. lol

I'm currently giving the flooded font a test run with the new pump. Set up all works well though which is good, didn't feel particularly cold to the touch yesterday when I had it running, but it is thick walled so it may well have been colder inside it. The sun was on it a bit too which didn't help. Will go and check it out soon. In any case, the taps do seem to pour with less foaming at the start, than with the old font set up.

Cheers

Kelsey

Just a quick one for Kelsey & Scottie...

I was just wondering how you go about carbonating the kegs you are storing outside your kegerator/keezer? Are you fast carbing them, or somehow running the lower constant pouring pressure being maintained for the kegs inside the fridge, to a keg outside the fridge, & if so for how long before you are satisfied the keg you're trying to carbonate is at an acceptable level & could be detached for storage?

I hope that makes some sense.

Cheers,

Lusty.

Just a quick one for Kelsey & Scottie...

I was just wondering how you go about carbonating the kegs you are storing outside your kegerator/keezer? Are you fast carbing them' date=' or somehow running the lower constant pouring pressure being maintained for the kegs inside the fridge, to a keg outside the fridge, & if so for how long before you are satisfied the keg you're trying to carbonate is at an acceptable level & could be detached for storage?

I hope that makes some sense.

Cheers,

Lusty.[/quote']

I just stick the spare gas line on the liquid disconnect onto the beer out post, bump the pressure up to 45 PSI, shake it around for about 40-50 seconds, turn off the gas bottle and keep shaking the keg until the pressure drop stabilises. Usually somewhere between 20 and 25 PSI. Then I take the gas line off and store the keg next to the brew fridge (more stable temp there), so they should have plenty of time to settle lol. I'll put those two I've done like this in the fridge once this other one is empty so they can have some time chilled before being tapped. Will be interesting to see how it worked.

Because I have a manifold set up on the outside of the kegerator, I could simply hook up a keg to that spare line at normal serving pressure and leave it there for a week or whatever, but given the kegerator is outdoors, I don't do this. Maybe in winter when it's not so hot out there, but in the warmer months no.

Cheers

Kelsey

I did remember you have that manifold, so was wondering if you hooked it up on the outside at serving pressure. So you are fast carbing them. I'm guessing it is a more efficient way of using the gas to carb it while the beer is still cold so it aids with C02 absorption? unsure

I'll be interested to hear what Scottie does (& perhaps why) as I got the feeling he carbs his up more gradually.

Thanks,

Lusty.

I fast carb the ones that aren't going into the fridge straight away (although even the ones that are I normally give 24 hours at higher pressure to speed it up a bit). I imagine with them still cold it would help with the CO2 absorption, but once they warm up again it probably comes out of solution a bit. The good thing is the keg is sealed so it has nowhere to go and should re-absorb after sitting in the fridge for a few days, hence why I'll stick them in there when this last bit runs out of the one currently in there. They will just sit there not connected. Then the third one which will be kegged in two weeks can go in at the back and just sit at serving pressure for a week or so and all three can be hooked up to their respective taps.

And then I can set about filling another 3 or 4 kegs while those 3 are consumed. cool

Well, the keg of ESB blew dry last night, so that was the last of the previous lot of kegs to be emptied. There is now nothing on tap, although after cleaning out that keg and its beer line/tap, I put the kegs of Cascadian pale ale and Centennial/MO SMaSH into the kegerator to chill down and sit cold for the next couple of weeks while this bastardised Bohemian Pilsner finishes up its time in the fermenter. The 1469 created a rather large krausen. There is 24 litres in a 30 odd litre FV and it ended up reaching the lid.

Last night I was able to get a better idea of how the flooded font set up works; with only one keg in there it was easier to access the water reservoir. I turned the pump on when I left for my arvo half shift to get the water circulating, then when I got home I drained some of the water and dumped a heap of ice into the reservoir. Not long later the font was sweating with condensation and was quite cold to touch. No foaming issues with the pours either - just a little at the beginning but all that served to do was get a good head on the beer by the time the glass was full, so there was no wastage. Pretty happy with that! happy

Two weeks until the Bo pils is kegged, then it will go in at the back to slowly force carb under serving pressure while the other two are tapped as they are already pretty well carbonated via the quick method I used when they were filled. Hopefully with 3 full ones going in at once it'll give me enough time to get another 3 filled before these ones are emptied.

Cheers

Kelsey

My keg of Pacific Ale blew last night sad

This didn't last anywhere near as long as it should have because my wife thought it was the best beer she has ever had and drank a fair chunk of it. My wife is a wine drinker mainly but she stopped drinking wine as she said that beer was nicer.

So now I have an ESB that I kegged yesterday and that is it.

I needed to get some beers done quickly so I picked up some grains to do another Pacific Ale (at my wife's insistence) and also bought a fresh wort kit. It is a Norwest Pale Ale by ESB Brew Shop (Brewers Selection brand) and this is now fermenting away.

Has anyone on here tried one of their fresh wort kits before? This is a first for me.

Has anyone on here tried one of their fresh wort kits before? This is a first for me.

Hey Hairy

I have been so tempted the last three times I've been to my LHBS' date=' who has recently started stocking them. They seem to call your name when you're looking for a keg filler. I will be interested to hear how it goes. Maybe one day I'll do one [img']bandit[/img]

Cheers & Beers

Scottie

Valley Brew

• 2 weeks later...
G'day Kelsey - a couple of questions about kegging if you don't mind please.

1. After kegging ' date=' is it necessary for the beer to go under refrigeration or can it be stored at room temperature?

2. After kegging, is it necessary to apply CO2 for preservation?[/quote']

Hi Morrie, thought I might move this discussion over here rather than the other thread.

I keg my beers cold, straight out of cold crashing so they're already refrigerated at that point. Depending on what's going on in the kegerator at that time, they either go in there straight away or are stored next to the brew fridge at room temp. It's quite a bit cooler in that spot than a lot of other areas in the house. I always hit them with gas straight after filling, however, whether I hit them with high pressure and shake them around a bit, or simply hook them up at serving pressure, depends on whether they're being stockpiled or going straight into the kegerator.

You will need to at least purge the headspace of oxygen regardless. I like to use that fast carb method on kegs that are being stockpiled because along with carbonating them it also has the effect of sealing the lid properly. As you're probably aware, the lids seal from the inside, so they need positive pressure against them to ensure an airtight seal.

I'll finally have beers on tap again this Saturday. I have two full kegs ready to go, which have been sitting in the kegerator but not hooked up to taps, since two Saturdays ago. I'll be filling a third keg this Sat, which will go in at the back behind the other two, and just carbonate on serving pressure for a week or so. The other two I used the fast carb method on, although I didn't fully carbonate them. Once they'd been in the fridge for a few days, I hooked the gas up to them at serving pressure for another few days to ensure they're ready to go on the weekend.

I imagine that above schedule will repeat itself from now on, as my plan is to wait until the last of this lot of 3 is empty before putting any more in there. That should give me enough time to get another 3 filled.

Cheers

Kelsey

Thanks for your very informative reply Kelsey.....much appreciated..... That answers a few things for me. I'm just trying to put a few bits and pieces of information together in case I get into kegging in the future.

I've just put a brew(Bootmaker) down 2 nights in a row. I need to get ahead as I am wanting to put the Devil's Brew Ruby Porter down next and don't expect to be drinking that for several months.

Hi Kelsey.

You will need to at least purge the headspace of oxygen regardless. I like to use that fast carb method on kegs that are being stockpiled because along with carbonating them it also has the effect of sealing the lid properly. As you're probably aware' date=' the lids seal from the inside, so they need positive pressure against them to ensure an airtight seal.[/quote']

This has intrigued me since you first mentioned this some time ago.

The lids on my kegs look exactly like this...

Keg_Lid_KK__02236_zoom.jpg

The hinge mechanism pulls the lid up very tight & definitely seals with no chance of air or liquid getting in or out of my kegs regardless of whether I pressure them up. Of course I would always purge the oxygen out after filling, but certainly have no fear of oxygen re-entering the keg if I decided not to pressurize it further after purging.

If you have a lid different to that I'd be interested to see a pic of it, as why anyone would design a lid that doesn't seal correctly has me a little miffed.

Cheers,

Lusty.

Nope, mine are basically the same as that although the shape is a bit different, both the lid and the handle of it.

I'm not particularly worried about oxygen re-entering either, but I guess it's just a bit of added security for next to no effort, having pressure against the lid as well as it being locked in by the handle mechanism. cool

Earlier today I kegged & fast carbed up an interesting 7 Hop Pale Ale. It was basically a clean-out brew to use up bits & pieces of hops & grains. The brew wasn't just thrown together haphazard, there was some method about what grains were used, & how the the hops were used. Anyway, first tastings are very nice. A little better than even I expected. happy

On the kegging side, recent attempts at nailing down a fast carbing method had me vigorously shaking the inverted keg @ 40psi for 2 mins. I found this left the keg over-carbonated. The last two kegs I have followed the same routine for 2mins, but I lowered the pressure to 30psi. This appears to have worked well for both the last two kegs & looks highly likely to be the method I'll be sticking with from now on. I'm glad I've finally got this sorted. happy

Cheers,

Lusty.

Nice one mate. That beer certainly sounds very interesting. happy

Good to hear you've sorted out your fast carbing method too. I did end up overcarbonating the two kegs I used it on which are on tap now, although one isn't as bad as the other. Next time I will lower the pressure or reduce the time the gas is actively on. The third keg is just in there sitting on serving pressure.

Which sort of brings me to that, I kegged the Bastard Pilsner on Saturday during the mash for my other lager beer with home grown hops. I had a taste from the FV but I'm guessing it's probably not terribly indicative of what it will be like once it's carbonated and a little more conditioned. Nice tasting beer though, just obviously not what I intended it to be. lol

Cheers

Kelsey

Teetering on the brink of investing in a kegerator , I've found this thread to be hugely informative and helpful - thanks Otto !

Question about fast carbing having read the exchanges of thoughts between you blokes :- has anyone tried a diffusion stone or have an opinion on how effective they are ? (like this http://kegking.com.au/keg-couplers-and-keg-disconnects/19l-9l-kegs-keg-parts/carbonation-keg-lid-with-2-micron-diffusion-stone.html )

Seems to be a modification of the method OVB describes but would it give any advantage over that ?

Just kegged my Redback Ale. It is hopped with Mosaic, the first time I've used them since doing Luty's Amber Ale, and it tastes great after 4 weeks in the FV.

I've purged the headspace by burping the keg 5 times and it is now connected at serving pressure (70kPa at 6 degrees) where it carb up over the next 3 to 4 weeks before it gets a run in the kegerator.

Cheers & Beers

Scottie

Valley Breww

Hiya Scottie. smile

Just kegged my Redback Ale. It is hopped with Mosaic' date=' the first time I've used them since doing Luty's Amber Ale, and it tastes great after 4 weeks in the FV.

I've purged the headspace by burping the keg 5 times and it is now connected at serving pressure (70kPa at 6 degrees) where it carb up over the next 3 to 4 weeks before it gets a run in the kegerator.[/quote']

Are you running multiple lines off the one C02 tank, or are you running a couple of tanks to be able to carb up your keg beer outside the kegerator? unsure

I tried to squeeze this info out of you in another thread a week or two back, but to the best of my knowledge you have yet to be forthcoming with a response on that. sad

I'm interested in how you carb up your beers that are NOT in your dispensing fridge.

Cheers,

Lusty.

Hey Anthony

I have two CO2 tanks, one in the Garage (Valley Brewery) in the conditioning fridge and one in the Dining Room in the kegerator. Both are the Keg King 2.6kg units. I run 2 kegs in the kegerator and I can run up to 4 kegs in the conditioning fridge. I posted a pic here in another thread but I was using imageshack then so it has probably been wiped.

Cheers & Beers

Scottie

Valley Brew

Teetering on the brink of investing in a kegerator ' date=' I've found this thread to be hugely informative and helpful - thanks Otto !

Question about fast carbing having read the exchanges of thoughts between you blokes :- has anyone tried a diffusion stone or have an opinion on how effective they are ? (like this http://kegking.com.au/keg-couplers-and-keg-disconnects/19l-9l-kegs-keg-parts/carbonation-keg-lid-with-2-micron-diffusion-stone.html )

Seems to be a modification of the method OVB describes but would it give any advantage over that ?[/quote']

Looks as if you'd still have to hook up a gas bottle and line to that thing so I can't see a whole heap of advantage really. Maybe it uses less gas to carbonate somehow although that defies the physics of it all.

I'm not the biggest fan of fast carbing kegs; I only do it on ones that sit around for a while before being tapped, so that I don't have to wait as long for them to carbonate properly once they are in the fridge. Unfortunately the last two I overdid, but I have learnt from this and will reduce the amount of gas next time around.

Cheers

Kelsey

Earlier today I kegged & fast carbed up a Fursty Ferret clone recipe (of sorts).

The colour is spot on with the commercial version. Lovely glass lacing & tastes spot on with what I expect from an English Bitter. Lovely malt driven flavour & a firm bitterness. joyful

What I have found quite remarkable this time around with this brewing of it is how the Wyeast 1275 yeast has dealt with the malt bill. My pre-fermentation wort sample was very sweet (that's not totally abnormal at all), but the Gladfield Toffee malt grain I used in the grist was very noticeable & prominent. Post-fermentation using this yeast, it's there but very, very subdued.

The yeast has produced quite a dry & crisp beer that accentuates the bitterness of the hops & seemingly had some impact on the malt character(s). In a good way for what an EB is meant to be.

I like what the yeast has done, I like the Gladfield Toffee malt grain, but will have to up that next time around if I wish to get closer to the true Fursty Ferret style that does carry a little more sweetness than what I have brewed here.

I'm still really enjoying the beer & hope I can leave it alone to mature a little further as it will only improve in taste if I do so.

It's a nice little venture away from my typical hoppy pale ales. coolhappy

Cheers,

Lusty.

Archived