Coopers Community

It's Kegging Time!

Thanks mate....I'm putting together a list now and looking at prices and will contact a couple of suppliers next week. I'll have to find how long those kegs will take to come back in stock. The only thing that concerns me is that they are made in China and I have a real dislike for Chinese pieces of shit.

• Replies 867
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The Perlick 650SS look the goods and I am leaning towards those without the flow control. Do I really need flow control once I have everything fine tuned? CraftBrewer are selling 6.8 kg alloy CO2 cylinders that weigh only 8.3 kg. That swap and go one of yours Kelsey' date=' is it steel or alloy?

That's my idea with the 23 litre kegs too is that I won't need to bottle at all. Not sure when they will have those in stock but I am prepared to wait.[/quote']I'm not sure but it is a Mykegonlegs branded one which I think are the same as what Craftbrewer sells and exchanges.

If you have your system set up so that it pours well with a normal tap then no you don't need flow control. I just find it useful for limiting the amount of foaming at the start of the pour, but if you set yours up how you mentioned it in the earlier post then that probably won't be much of an issue anyway, just make sure you have enough beer line length. It's better to start with too much beer line than not enough - it's easy enough to cut it shorter if needed but you can't really add length without buying a whole new length of it.

Thanks mate....I'm putting together a list now and looking at prices and will contact a couple of suppliers next week. I'll have to find how long those kegs will take to come back in stock. The only thing that concerns me is that they are made in China and I have a real dislike for Chinese pieces of shit.

Amen to thatsmile

I have found the Andale taps great and Andale are fantastic to talk to and very helpful. I rang them about a dripping problem and they explained the fix over the phone which was only a couple of o-rings. They sent me a pair of service kits which came to a couple of dollars and I did the service myself. They are located at Airport West in Melbourne which is great if you're a Mexican like mebiggrin.

Have heard nothing but good reports about Perlicks.

Thanks for your help here blokes,

I just bought one of those CO2 cylinders you mentioned about today Kelsey from CraftBrewer. Anthony has to drop the gas out as it can't be freighted by general freight if the cylinder is under pressure.

I tried to phone Clever Brewer this morning using the phone number listed on their website to enquire about the 23 litre kegs. Got a Telstra type message stating it was an invalid number, so I tried it a few more times. When this type of thing happens my antennae go up so I'm not sure if I should be smelling a rat and thinking shonky brothers. There's no way I will buy anything from a business that doesn't have a contactable phone number and street address, that for me is a must. I've sent an email with no response as yet. So just asking if anyone here has had any dealings with Clever Brewing?

Crash chilled 38 litres for 2 weeks!

Just kegged 2x kegsof this lager with WLP810

Force carbed and tasted! bloody wow BOYZ clear as crystal and bloody nice already...

7 kg German - Pilsner

6 kg American - Munich - light

0.5 med crystal

40 g Northern Brewer 45 min

40 g Mt hood Pellet flameout

then Cubed 60 litres

2 weeks in keg this will kick arse... its like an OCTOBERFEST type beer vary supprised how good its turned out bloody nice

Mash Guidelines

Amount Description Type Temp Time

38 L Temperature 55 C 10 min

38 L Temperature 64 C 30 min

38 L Temperature 66 C 45 min

38 L Temperature 74 C 15 min

-- Sparge 76 C --

Starting Mash Thickness: 3 L/kg

Yeast

White Labs - San Francisco Lager Yeast WLP810

Attenuation (avg):

67.5%

Flocculation:

High

• 3 weeks later...

Just finished kegging and bottling my latest Bo Pils. This one got down to 1.009 from an OG of 1.0476, giving me 5% in the keg and 5.4% in the 13 stubbies I got from the surplus. Taste test from the dregs of the bottling bucket was all good so once this has had some conditioning time it should be pretty nice once again. happy

I'll put the yeast starter for the next brew into the fridge later on tonight when I get home again, to settle it out before pitching on Friday into the Citra pale ale.

With the bottles from the last batch and this one I have just shy of a carton of stubbies, and should get another half carton from the pale ale. These will come in most useful over my holidays to alleviate some of the consumption from the kegs themselves.

Cheers

Kelsey

Just finished kegging and bottling my latest Bo Pils. This one got down to 1.009 from an OG of 1.0476' date=' giving me 5% in the keg and 5.4% in the 13 stubbies I got from the surplus. Taste test from the dregs of the bottling bucket was all good so once this has had some conditioning time it should be pretty nice once again. [img']happy[/img]

I'll put the yeast starter for the next brew into the fridge later on tonight when I get home again, to settle it out before pitching on Friday into the Citra pale ale.

With the bottles from the last batch and this one I have just shy of a carton of stubbies, and should get another half carton from the pale ale. These will come in most useful over my holidays to alleviate some of the consumption from the kegs themselves.

Cheers

Kelsey

Wow OG 1.0476 that is a accurate reading. Next you will have a brewpi to control temp to 0.05 of a degree.biggrin

They only read like that because the temp correction thingy in my phone spits out answers to 6 decimal places e.g. 1.047632 or something. It can't be changed either by the looks of it. Oh well. I don't usually use it unless the temp is at least 3C difference to the calibration temp of the hydrometer. Most of my OG samples are taken around 30C because I either can't be arsed waiting for them to cool any further, or it's at this time of year and they won't go any lower unless I fridge them.

Still no Brewpi in the pipeline though tonguelol

• 2 weeks later...

I went over to Cannon Hill Brewing earlier to pick up some campden tablets for treating my brewing water with. Although I don't have any problems with off flavours from chlorine/chloramines reacting with compounds in the beer, it's an easy way to prevent it.

Anyway, I also picked up a 10L keg. I plan to use this keg for the ~5L surplus I get from my 25L batches after kegging the majority into a 19L keg. This will cut down my bottling even more and also mean that I can go back to brewing 25L batches of ale in winter. The plan is to use it only for ales, as the beer in it will be a blend of two batches. Something like two pale ales together, or a pale ale and the red ale together.. I don't think an ale and pilsner would work well blended so I'll either keep bottling the pilsners and lagers or brew them to 21 litres instead, but the ales can go into this.

1482204159_24_228.JPG

I'll either put it on tap in the kegerator when one of the big ones runs out, or get a suitably sized esky and fit a tap to it, and use the keg as a party keg with a Sodastream CO2 set up or something. It can be carbonated from my normal cylinder of course, but the 6.8kg cylinder is pretty much immovable due to the way my gas lines are set up.

Looking forward to even less bottling!

Cheers

Kelsey

Hey scottie!

Ive just made my first English ale in ages...

What was the recipe you kegged mate?

It is 53% Maris Otter and 40% Vienna. If it is any good I'll post the recipe' date=' should be tapping this one in the couple of weeks.

Cheers & Beers

Scottie

[i']Valley Brew[/i]

Kegged my Citra pale ale this morning, and now the FV is soaking and the cube of Simcoe pale ale I brewed on Thursday is sitting in the brew fridge chilling for a few hours and will be kicked off this arvo.

I decided since the Simcoe batch will be ready in about 2 weeks, that instead of bottling the surplus I'd make use of my new mini keg. I started with 26 litres in the fermenter, drained about a litre into a schooner glass to clear the gunk, then transferred 4.5-5 litres into the mini keg, and filled the 19L keg with the rest. This was much easier than faffing around with the bottles. Once the ~5L was drained into the mini keg I simply moved the transfer hose into the bigger keg and began filling it while I purged the headspace of the mini keg, which sat on the gas until the bigger keg was filled and ready for purging.

It took about an hour from the beginning of Starsanning the kegs, purging them etc. through to cleaning out the FV and the hop balls, but next time I'll streamline the process a bit. On this occasion I only Starsanned and purged the small keg at first and forgot about the big one but next time I'll just do both first which will make things a bit easier. Otherwise though, easy process, no bottles, and in a couple of weeks the mini keg will have a blend of Citra and Simcoe pale ales in it at about equal parts, so in effect I'll have made a small batch of a third brew out of the two existing recipes.

I had two of the beer kegs on tap blow dry this week, about a day apart, so there is now a soda water keg on tap along with the red ale that still has some in it. The soda water will be removed once this Simcoe batch is kegged, so hopefully the red ale holds out til then but if not I'll just have to buy beer and drink the bottles of pilsner. Holidays are always bad for this kind of thing as with not working the consumption rate does go up a bit. Just gives me an excuse to brew more really. biggrin

15622396_10212015918101856_1076396599308759358_n.jpg?oh=a0534e746fea6e082a8269db95a102b1&oe=58EEB9C5

Cheers

Kelsey

What a let down and disappointment...crying I was looking forward to a good story about giant sized schooners at your place.

I just kegged my Citra/Galaxy APA yesterday and forced carbed. Tasting OK now and really fruity with 190g of hops total. Gonna be really nice in a week I reckon. Anyway - I've got a fruity ale now for Christmas day.

lol I do have a couple of litre steins though. These don't get used that often because they tend to cause kegs to be emptied a bit quicker innocent

Sounds like a good drop too mate! I rather enjoy how much quicker the beers get good in kegs compared to bottles too.

I reckon I'd give those 1 litre steins of yours a good run tomorrow if I had half a chance....happy

It's great to be able to drink a beer if needed straight after decanting from the FV. If I was still bottling I wouldn't have any APA for Christmas. Kegging is still a bit of a learning curve for me ATM. I've written myself out a set of instructions to follow on it and yesterday I thought I'd be a bit cocky and just run from memory. Consequently I forgot to purge the head space of air. I remembered after I forced carbed, but I think by then it was too late. I did purge then but as I said I think its too late in the process. The plus side is that the keg went straight into the fridge so hopefully not too much issue with dissolved oxygen. This keg will get consumed in about 10 days I reckon.

Hi guys.

I have just finished kegging my Undead Saison. Unlike my usual practices where I would crash chill the beer in the FV & then transfer to the keg, I have transfered the Saison at ambient temperature to retain some of the suspended yeast that is part of the beer flavour.

Smelled tropical, & with a large banana influence. I've purged the headspace of the keg & am now chilling it down & will likely force carbonate it late tomorrow.

I'll be interested to see how the Ella hop tea & dry hop have worked in with the yeast thrown flavours & aromatics come drinking time.

Cheers,

Lusty.

Archived