Coopers Community

Brew Day!! Watcha' got, eh!? 2015

Canadian Eh!L

Brew day yesterday!!

This was my first brew day in over a month. The weather here the the GWN has been so fine that it has been hard to tie myself down to the brewery.

Dr Scotties Golden ale

6 Kg ESB malt

.5 wheat malt

.5 victory

.5 Crystal 60

35g Challenger 60mins

25g Amarillo@ 20, 10, 5, and whirlpool

40L

WLP090/US05

Mashed @ 65-67C for an hour

For Father's Day I smoked a chicken and beef ribs. I drank fancy craft beers that SWMBO chose for me and put on ice.

It's 7:28am here now. I'm drinking roasty coffee and getting ready for another shift of work.

• Replies 888
  • Created
  • Last Reply
With this Kolsch I'm working on' date=' I've played it safe the first time by minimizing grain additions & stuck with more extract. Pilsner & lager type brews can expose weaknesses in your techniques as there really is nowhere to hide flavour-wise with them.

If the brew turns out well, I may go to a bit more trouble by creating a larger mash based content next time including some Acidulated Malt. So I'll be very hopeful to hear the words "crisp" & "clean" when you are drinking that Pilsner of yours! [img']wink[/img]

Good afternoon, Dr Lust

I'm happy to say those words are ideal for describing the Czech Pilsner: dry, crisp and clean. Really really happy with the way it turned out, even though I'm bloody hopeless at pouring a beer!

CzechPilsner.jpg

Your Pilsner looks great Antsi! cool

Lovely colour, nice carbonation, lovely fluffy bright white head, good glass lacing. happy

You can lighten that colour further if you so wish. wink

ToYouSir.jpg

Well done to you sir!

Cheers,

Lusty.

I brewed my first lager tonight, a Bohemian Pilsner (well sort of, I guess the yeast is wrong but I'm going to try brewing a Marzen after this).

Stats

Batch size: 10.5 litres

Target OG: 1.051

Target bitterness: 40 IBU

Est colour: 7.8 EBC

Grain

2374g Weyermann Bohemian Pils (94.9%)

128g Weyermann Carapils (5.1%)

Hops

12g Czech Saaz (5% AA) @FWH

15g Czech Saaz @5 mins

15g Czech Saaz @flameout

Yeast

Wyeast 2206 Bavarian Lager

Process

60min mash @67C, batch sparged

90min boil

Allow to cool in the kettle

Since my no-chill cube lid is not sealing that well any more I have given it a gentle retirement as a bottling cube. For this batch I decided to try naturally cooling in the kettle. I popped the lid on for the last 5 minutes of the boil to hopefully kill any bugs, then after letting my flameout hops steep for 15 minutes I removed the hop filter and hop mass, then popped the lid back on. Hopefully this works OK given that I'm looking to pitch the yeast as soon as I can after it's cooled.

No brewing fridge here, so I will be brewing this at ambient Canberra temperatures, which are at about a 14C average maximum at the moment. I'll insulate the FV to prevent drastic temperature swings through the day / night cycle.

Looks nice John happy Will be interested to hear how it turns out for you. Bo Pils is a really nice style of beer I reckon, I prefer it over the German lagers myself.

Since my no-chill cube lid is not sealing that well any more I have given it a gentle retirement as a bottling cube. For this batch I decided to try naturally cooling in the kettle. I popped the lid on for the last 5 minutes of the boil to hopefully kill any bugs' date=' then after letting my flameout hops steep for 15 minutes I removed the hop filter and hop mass, then popped the lid back on. Hopefully this works OK given that I'm looking to pitch the yeast as soon as I can after it's cooled.

[/quote']

I have heard of this being done successfully by quite a number of home brewers, so I reckon as long as you pitch the yeast as soon as you can, you should be pretty right with it. I use a similar approach when making yeast starters actually. Once I've boiled the wort in the flask on the stove, I simply pop the foil over the top, boil it again for another minute or so, then turn off the heat and leave it there until it's cool enough for the yeast to be pitched. Have not had a failed one yet doing this.

(I did have an infected starter once, however that one I used glad wrap on and no stir plate, and the foaming escaped and well I dunno, somehow an infection got in. Ever since using foil and a stir plate I've had no foamovers or infections. happy)

I have heard of this being done successfully by quite a number of home brewers' date=' so I reckon as long as you pitch the yeast as soon as you can, you should be pretty right with it.[/quote']

Cool happy ... due to having my brother-in-law over I ended up pitching the yeast about 30 hours later once it cooled right down. My O.G. sample tasted absolutely fine though, just the normal bitter-sweet unfermented pale wort taste. I hit an O.G. of 1.054 in a volume of a touch over 10.5 litres so pretty much on target. It's sitting at about 11 or 12C at the moment, so looking good for a decent fermentation, but as always fingers crossed.

Hi Guys,

Brew day was last Sunday.

Coopers Artisan Reserve (with a few mods)

Subbed in 1.7 Kg Blackrock Ultralight LME for the DME,

Hersbrucker for both hop additions,

2 x MJ's Bohemian Lager Yeast.

Pitched at 12C, fermented at 12C.

OG 1046, FG 1011(est), IBU 28.

Using the Brulosophy Lager method.

Took a while for the yeast to show noticeable signs of fermentation. Yesterday a big thick krausen had developed (Day 6). Today, SG 1028, I'm assuming the wort is 50% attenuated if my simple maths serves me right. So As per the method I decided to ramp the temp up to 18C.

All the best,

Cheers,

Dave.

From my understanding of the method, his 50% attenuation value is seemingly based on the last two digits of the OG, i.e. remove the 10, and just use the 46 and halve it (23); the ramping up would begin when the beer is down to 1023.

I know it's confusing because in relation to OG/ actual FG it's actually a lot more than 50% attenuated by the time it gets down to that SG but yeah. That's how I've been doing it anyway so the bulk of the fermentation is done at the preferred lager fermentation temp.

Thanks OBV.

I have just edited the SG reading taken today, lots of numbers written down on my bit of scrap paper! I took the 50% attenuation to be mid way between the OG and the est FG. S##T!

I hope that I haven't ruined my beer! :/

Cheers,

Dave.

Ah yeah Kelsey, I was aiming a bit lower in terms of O.G. but got a slightly higher extract efficiency than normal. Not much signs of activity other than condensation on the lid, but I took a quick gravity sample before heading off to the airport for a trip to visit family just to see if it was doing something ... and it has moved to 1.051.

So something is happening happy Let's hope that what is turning out to be the world's most curious cat doesn't get to it while I'm away! pinched

Let's hope that what is turning out to be the world's most curious cat doesn't get to it while I'm away! pinched

Definitely fingers crossed' date=' as that could end up being a real cat-astrophy! [img']tongue[/img]

Good luck with the brew.

Lusty.

Let's hope that what is turning out to be the world's most curious cat doesn't get to it while I'm away! pinched

Definitely fingers crossed' date=' as that could end up being a real cat-astrophy! [img']tongue[/img]

Good luck with the brew.

Lusty.

G'day Lusty,

You must have heaps of kids cause your dad jokes are awesome! loltongue

Good luck with the brew.

Lusty.

G'day Lusty,

You must have heaps of kids cause your dad jokes are awesome! loltongue

lol

Sorry about that. I think a bit of Hairy's Dads' humour crept in there?! unsuretongue

...anyways, back to my Dr. Seuss books... whistling

I made a Mexican Lager the other day, it had 1kg of polenta in the mash and worked really well.

Next will be a XXXX Bitter ish thing. Called Cluster F***.

Why? Why not?

This beer making is fun.

Back to IPAs I think after that. 6 months worth of grain to be picked up soon.

lol Good name for it. Next time I go to CB for ingredients I might pick up some Cluster hops and that Wyeast Danish lager yeast that everyone seems to use in Aussie megaswill clones and have a crack at something similar. Probably have to get some Aussie pale malt as well, which I don't really need right now as I have two 25kg sacks of Fawcett's MO to use up!

Edit: just done up a quick muck around recipe for a XXXX styled beer. I'm only brewing this for shits and giggles really and out of curiosity to see how it turns out. As crap as those beers are, I reckon they aren't easily brewed at home. Will just do a single infusion mash at 66-67C for 90 minutes on this one. Usual 75 minute boil. Probably add the sugar about 5-10 mins from the end of the boil.

4.000 kg Pale Malt (2 Row) US (3.9 EBC) Grain 1 88.6 %

0.015 kg Black (Patent) Malt (1300.0 EBC) Grain 2 0.3 %

0.500 kg Cane (Beet) Sugar (0.0 EBC) Sugar 3 11.1 %

30.00 g Cluster [7.30 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 4 21.9 IBUs

20.00 g Cluster [7.30 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop 5 2.9 IBUs

1.0 pkg Danish Lager (Wyeast Labs #2042) [124.21 ml] Yeast 6 -

Gravity, Alcohol Content and Color

Est Original Gravity: 1.043 SG

Est Final Gravity: 1.006 SG

Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 4.8 % (5.2% bottled)

Bitterness: 24.8 IBUs

Est Color: 9.2 EBC

IBUs probably higher than the real thing but I do have to make some allowances for my own preferences as well. wink

I reckon Cluster gets a bad rap actually. I don't mind it at all.

In this country at least, it is associated with well known megaswill beers, so us lot as craft beer type brewers pretty much pass over it to look at other hops most of the time.

I've used it as the optional hop in brewing Coopers DIY Steam Beer recipe, & it turned out great. Around that same time, I subbed it in place of Perle in a SNPA variant I made, that turned out really, really good. happy

It's a good hop once you understand it's qualities, & then how best you can use it. wink

Cheers,

Lusty.

Archived