Coopers Community

Choc Grain

I have some Choc grain left over from a recent brew I did (Hop Gobbler) and want to put it to use.

My next batch is a TC Sparkling Ale and was thinking I could use it in that.

Any thoughts on if/how I could use it ? 100 gms steep / 30 mins ?

Hops for dry hopping I have available are....

Galaxy, Tettnanger, Cascade, Super Alpha, Fuggles

Also have the equilivant of BE or BE2 and about 500 gms of LDM

Not suggetsing I put all that in!, just looking for suggestions.

Cheers

100gs is good for colour and a touch of flavour, I generally use that in all my brews.

As for hops, how much of the Glaxaxy and Cascade do you have?

You will need to boil the liquid from the grain, and while you are there might as well boil some hops.

5 or 10 minute boil will be gold.

100gs is good for colour and a touch of flavour' date=' I generally use that in all my brews.

As for hops, how much of the Glaxaxy and Cascade do you have?

You will need to boil the liquid from the grain, and while you are there might as well boil some hops.

5 or 10 minute boil will be gold.[/quote']

I have heaps of Galaxy and Cascade, got em from Hop Dealz, min 250gms, cheap!

I'm currently enjoying a beer I made almost entirely from leftovers. Can't remember what was in it but I do know there was a fair bit of choc malt. Just throw everything at it and see what happens!

Yeah, when you have leftovers, it creates recipes eh.

Just wasnt sure about Choc and the Sparkling Ale, just didnt sound right for some reason.

Always learning, thanks for the tip!

500g malt + liquid from choc steep (make t up to around 5 litres.

Boil.

Throw in 20g of either Cascade or Galaxy with 10 minutes left togo.

Same with 5 left to go.

Strain and add to the FV.

Ferment.

Perhaps add 20 of whatever hop you used dry hop for a few days AFTER fermentation has ceased.

Then, do the same with the other hop.

I'm currently enjoying a beer I made almost entirely from leftovers. Can't remember what was in it but I do know there was a fair bit of choc malt. Just throw everything at it and see what happens!

Yeah' date=' when you have leftovers, it creates recipes eh.

Just wasnt sure about Choc and the Sparkling Ale, just didnt sound right for some reason.

Always learning, thanks for the tip!

[/quote']

Listen to Ben. 100g Choc malt will be great with that kit.

And Cascade and Galaxy are lovelovelove

I tend to use a 2:1 ratio of Cascade to Galaxy. But you seem to really like Galaxy so you could go 1:1.

Listen to Ben. 100g Choc malt will be great with that kit.

And Cascade and Galaxy are lovelovelove

I tend to use a 2:1 ratio of Cascade to Galaxy. But you seem to really like Galaxy so you could go 1:1.

Thanks Hairy' date=' I will ponder this tomorrow (brew day) and make my Sparkling Ale, for now, the Scotch Ale" has kicked in (6.5%) so for now, after just bottling 30 odd Hop Gobblers, and cleaning/fill with water the FV, and watching Bill Shortens best speech/hammering of the Libs ever!......[img']w00t[/img]

Thanks

Don't have Cascade yet, it's on the way, so Im subbing it with Centennial.

Also didnt have as much Choc as I thought, but found some Light Crystal Grain,

Ingredients:

TC Sparkling Ale

500gms Dextrose

250 gms Maltodextrin

750 gms LDM

50gms Choc Grain

100 gms Light Crystal Grain

40 gms Centennial

20 gms Galaxy

Method:

Steep Choc & Crystal grain in hot water for 30 mins.

Boil 500gms LDM with the strained grain liquid to make 5 Litres.

Hop Schedule:

20 gms Centennial @ 10 mins

20 gms Galaxy @ 5 mins

20 gms Centennial @ Day 6 Dry

Chuck it all the FV, with the Kit Yeast, ferment for 12 days at 19-20 degrees.

Looks ok ?

• 1 month later...

Im drinking a Hop Gobbler made exactly to the recipe, 40 days in the bottle.

It's got a prominent roasted/smoky flavour almost burnt roasted flavour, which I quite like.

Is it the Choc Malt thats giving that flavour ? If so, I certainly wouldnt be using more than 100 gms of it it any recipe.

Cheers

Guzz

Hey Guzz

Had to check the recipe. I've added choc malt to Stouts, Porters and English Bitters.

On its own I get coffee, but I get roasted/toasty when I combine Roasted Barley.

You should have a crack at a brew that combines the two, I know just the brew ninja

Cheers

Scottie

Scottie,

Yeah, thanks, I thought it must be the Cohoc thats giving those flavours.

I just tried another beer which I used it in, although only 50 grams, and I can taste it there too, only its much less prominent. I like this choc grain, but it must be used sparingly it seems.

This is that recipe, which I concocted myself and quite happy with.(Still got plenty of Centennial, Galaxy, Warrior in stock, trying to use it up.)

Guzz's Lightly Chocced Sparkling Ale

Ingredients:

TC Sparkling Ale

500gms Dextrose

250 gms Maltodextrin

750 gms LDM

50gms Choc Grain

100 gms Light Crystal Grain

36 gms Centennial

28 gms Galaxy

Method:

Steep Choc & Crystal grain in hot water for 30 mins.

Boil 500gms LDM with the strained grain liquid to make 5 Litres.

Hop Schedule:

20 gms Centennial @ 10 mins

20 gms Galaxy @ 5 mins

16 Cent + 8 Galaxy Dry Day 6

22 litres / 4.9%

I would be interested in the recipe you mentioned with roasted barley, Im planning brews well in advance now, so hit me with it!

Cheers

Guzz

Steve L's EB Porter as brewed by Scottie 10/04/2012

Robust Porter

Coopers EB Porter

21 litres

1 KG Coopers Light Dry Malt

250g Dark Brown Sugar

300g Choc Malt Grain (600 EBC) Joe White

250g Crystal Grain (120 EBC)

100g Roasted Barley (1200 EBC)

14g SO4 pitched at 21 degrees and fermented at 18 degrees for 10 days.

Cracked grains with rolling pin and steeped in 2 litres of water at 67 degrees. Then rinsed grains in 2 litres of 65 degrees water, basically I strained the grains return them to the pot and add rinsing water then strain again.

OG 1.056

FG 1.014

Cheers

Scottie

Brewed a Choc-Magnum Porter today. Really basic brew' date=' always with great results - 3.5kg Pale Malt, 1kg Choc Malt, 0.5kg Dark Crystal Malt and 30g Magnum for 30mins. Walked away from the sparge for a moment to check on the motor racing, became engrossed and forgot about the sparge. Suddenly remembered and rushed back to find that the the wort had filled the bucket to within a about 3mm short of overflowing and had only stopped because the sparge liquor vessel was empty - phew, could have been messy!! [sideways']

Hey Guzz

This is the one Hairy is talking about, should give you the confidence that you can handle 300g.

Normally I have choc grain left over after I brew a recipe that calls for it. I keep telling myself that I need to do another, perhaps when my Stout is kegged.

Cheers

Scottie

Well something in that brew ( Hop Gobbler) , has some very strong ROASTED/TOASTED/SMOKY flavours and I figured (incorrectly) it was the choc malt.

Perhaps it was my method that caused this? IF you steep grain in hot water thats TOO hot, can it cause this sort of flavour ? I say that because when I steeped the grain in that brew i boiled the water first and it was only just off the boil when I added the grains, so probably 90 + degrees. It should be lower than that yeah ? Like 65-70 ?

Cheers'

Guzz

Archived