Coopers Community

What are you listening to right now????

ben 10

On 8/8/2024 at 12:22 AM, ChairmanDrew said:

I like metal, but this is proof to me that adding an orchestra to pretty much anything wont necessarily make it better (most often it will make it worse).

I think the choir and the strings contrast well with the band. It creates an atmosphere that works quite well IMHO. It creates a "bombastic" feel the song really benefits from. Well, that is my ears 🙂 

I agree that simply adding an orchestra doesn't work most of the time. The music and the style have to support it. But using horns and string arrangements in metal isn't unusual. All those symphonic black metal bands like Dimmu Borgir use such arrangements all the time, although it usually comes from synthesisers and not an orchestra.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Aussiekraut said:

I think the choir and the strings contrast well with the band. It creates an atmosphere that works quite well IMHO. It creates a "bombastic" feel the song really benefits from. Well, that is my ears 🙂 

I agree that simply adding an orchestra doesn't work most of the time. The music and the style have to support it. But using horns and string arrangements in metal isn't unusual. All those symphonic black metal bands like Dimmu Borgir use such arrangements all the time, although it usually comes from synthesisers and not an orchestra.

I'm guessing the hardest part for people like Classic Brewing Co. would be the vocal style, and I don't blame them. It's an acquired taste at the best of times, but it needs the music behind it to match the intensity. Isolated death/black metal vocals can sound pretty 🥴

I used to work at a concert hall and at one point it seemed like the orchestra were trying all sorts of collaborations. I'm guessing it was a musical direction to try and expose the orchestra to a new audience. But it always just sounded kind of lazy, just existing popular music with tacked on string sections, etc. They never did metal, but it would be like "Tonight, the symphony orchestra, with a ROCK band!", or "Tonight, the symphony orchestra, with Drum n Bass!", "Tonight, the symphony orchestra, with REGGAE!"... 😴

Are you familiar with Virgin Black? Off the top of my head they are one of the best bands to have written metal based orchestral music. They did a "Requiem" album trilogy. The first was a mix of orchestral metal, being reasonably light on the metal part. The second album was more stripped down death/doom, and the third was entirely orchestral. To me they were criminally underrated, but it's not exactly the most accessible style of music out there 😅 Oh, and BTW, they were from Adelaide 😉

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/24/2024 at 3:34 PM, Red devil 44 said:

Brilliant album and song. 

It was a great album wasn't it 🙂 

I always have to smile when I see Sid Vicious "playing" bass. They say usually at gigs, the bass was turned off and they played the recordings through the PA because he was so bad 🙂 

Lemmy once said that Sid approached him back in the day and said "Lemmy, I can't play bass", to which Lemmy answered, "I know!". Apparently he was totally inept and had no feeling for anything music. Lemmy reckoned Sid was absolutely useless, the worst student he had ever had 🙂 Sid was still our hero back then though.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, Aussiekraut said:

It was a great album wasn't it 🙂 

I always have to smile when I see Sid Vicious "playing" bass. They say usually at gigs, the bass was turned off and they played the recordings through the PA because he was so bad 🙂 

Lemmy once said that Sid approached him back in the day and said "Lemmy, I can't play bass", to which Lemmy answered, "I know!". Apparently he was totally inept and had no feeling for anything music. Lemmy reckoned Sid was absolutely useless, the worst student he had ever had 🙂 Sid was still our hero back then though.

Have to agree with you about Sid. 😂

‘I think when Johnny recruited him he wanted his look and style more than musical ability. 

• Haha 1

41 minutes ago, Red devil 44 said:

Have to agree with you about Sid. 😂

‘I think when Johnny recruited him he wanted his look and style more than musical ability. 

He was just punk. That was his image and that is what they needed but I read the other day, where John Lydon said he should have never brought him into the band as it just accelerated his own destructive part. 

Sid Vicious is credited with inventing pogo dancing. Apparently, when he was at concerts and taller people were in front of him, he kept jumping up and down to see and somehow it stuck 🙂 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...