Coopers Community

New Coopers Ale bottles?

Soundawake

Yesterday I saw a small Coopers poster in the bottlo that said 'Our new Coopers bottles stand taller.' and had a pic of a slimmer Sparkling Ale bottle. I searched through the fridges and couldn't find any new bottles.. please please please tell me PB2, that Coopers haven't downsized the ale bottles to 355 or 330 ml?

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yep. Exactly as PB2 stated.

We have a pallet of the new bottle design Pale Ale that will soon hit our shelves at work.

In recent times, attempts had been made to downsize the bottle for a number of popular commercial beers, but copped such a big backlash from the drinking public when attempting to do so, that almost all of them went back to their original size.

Coopers are smarter than to go down that road. :)

Cheers,

Anthony.

Taller and thinner but still 375ml. Pale Ale should be the first brew in the new bottles.

Praise the lord baby jebus that Coopers respect their customers a little more than your average brewery!

(Although I still reckon Vintage Ale should go back to using the 375ml bottles). biggrin

I don't suppose they'll be reusable and pry off bottles...

Hey Philbo, I got a nice surprise earlier this year when I ordered some wine, and the deal included a carton of Asahi which came in 500ml, heavy, CROWN SEAL bottles!!!

And the beer was alright too. Talk about win win.

I found some of the newer bottles at Belair Fine Wines today, Sparkling Ale and Pale Ale. I did notice that the Sparkling Ale bottles were filled to within about 5mm of the top of the bottle, and were still very cloudy even though they had been in the display fridge for a while. They were VERY new, the Best After date was between the 12-16th dec! Maybe as they are a higher alcohol beer the yeast in the bottle was still doing its work and hadn't dropped out of suspension yet.

The Pale Ale bottles had a Best After date a day after the Sparkling Ales. All were filled as per normal. Although I had a panicked phone call today from a workmate who had bought some of the new Pale Ale bottles last night and swore that they tasted different to the other older 6pack he had in the fridge. I suggested that perhaps the different taste was due to the fact that they are still SO new in the bottle, only a few weeks old. Or, the slightly different shaped bottle has meant the bottle conditioning has changed the flavour a bit. Case in point - Dr Tims, even though its exactly the same beer, tastes a bit different as the can is a different shape. (A mate and I proved it, we did a blind tasting of Pale Ale VS Dr Tims, poured into identical glasses, and picked each one correctly every time).

Just like Coopers ales longnecks taste slightly different than their stubbie versions. The stout is quite a pronounced difference. IMO.

Hi Soundawake (& Merry Xmas btw).

Dispel any doubts you may have about the beer having yeast "still doing its work". The beer is fully fermented. Any cloudiness you may have experienced is purely down to handling, & at this time of year around Christmas time, shelved beer is rapidly moved & replaced etc. Trust me on this one, I do it for a living. >_^

The taste & view test you did with the Dr. Tims vs the Coopers Pale Ale believing you are looking & tasting the same beer is a non-event really. To the best of my knowledge with current day practices, you cannot naturally carbonate (secondary ferment) a beer from a yeast based source in a can. To the best of my knowledge Dr. Tims uses pretty much the same base recipe as Coopers Pale Ale, but requires direct C02 injection carbonation as opposed to Coopers Pale Ale that is bottle conditioned using the yeast to achieve its carbonation.

Coopers Pale Ale & Dr. Tims are more like cousins, than brothers, if you get my drift.

Your 5mm gap from the top filling point is certainly something I will investigate further though Soundawake. :/

Christmas cheers,

Anthony.

Your Christmas gift to yourself Lusty - go on the Coopers brewery tour.

At the end of the tour, during tastings, you will see that Dr Tim's is, in fact, pale ale (naturally conditioned in the can.

Both Mild Ale and Pale Ale (Dr Tim's) are secondary fermented in the can.

G'day PB2.

I distinctly remember this conversation coming up in an older thread on the old forum where you stated a different view. I'm more than happy to concede what I stated, if you are able to give Soundawake a conclusive reason against why he & his mate's experiment proved that the two beers taste different.

It's been quite a few years since I've bought & tasted Dr. Tims to compare it with Coopers Pale Ale (That I drink fairly regularly), but the last time I did, Dr. Tims tasted slightly sweeter, & with a slightly noticeable lower bitterness.

If the approach &/or recipe for Dr. Tims has changed within the last 2 years, then I admit I was unaware of this, & concede certain "gaps" between the two beers may well have closed &/or minimized.

Cheers,

Anthony.

Thanks for the clarification PB2.

I humbly stand corrected. (insert innocent icon)

Interesting how "secondary fermentation in the can produces different aromas and flavours...".

It does make you wonder what is going on in there!

Two wins for me here. I've learned that Dr. Tims is naturally carbonated, & that the new search function is much improved over the old guild forum one.

Cheers,

Anthony.

If these new bottles have only been spotted in a select few stores, wouldn't it be safe to say that they would be shops that have reasonable turnover and less old stock to get rid of?

That being the case these would be quite young, and the sediment may not be very tightly packed to the bottom of the bottle. This might explain why it's so cloudy and stirred up?

Unsure but not really that bothered emoticon.

1st time poster.

I signed up so that I could make a comment, here goes...

I bought a carton of my favorite beer today, and I noticed that the carton was a little bit different. My mate and I stopped at the driving range on the way home, so we quickly ripped a couple of bottles out of the carton and went and had a hit.

I spilled my beer three times.

It wasn't until I was relaxing at home, (probably around the 4th beer in), that I noticed it. The bottle was taller. That explains why it was falling over all the time.

WTF have you done Coopers?

All in good fun....

Coopers Original Pale Ale is a world class beer and if they need to change the bottle to market it better, so be it!

It is a boutique beer so if it needs to be in a wanky bottle so Coopers can sell more, even better.

More Australians need to be drinking Coopers instead of the other two "Australian" brands that have 96% of the market share but actually, are owned buy offshore corporations.

As long as the beer doesn't change.

And it won't.

But expect a label change??? Something shiny i predict.

Australian Made

Australian Owned

Don't like new stubbies. Wont stand up in fridge or freezer and slip out of stubbie holders,not enough room to lie them down. Cant understand the change after all these years. Bring back originals.Call me a dinosaur, I just like the old ones.

I agree with slasher don't like new bottles,no good in fridge and don't fit into the coopers stubbie holders anymore.my coopers stubbie holder was pretty special with lots of memories,now just sits there. bad move coopers. instead of thinking about the budweisers think about the aussie (SA) drinkers first.hope things change for the good not these bullshit bottles.

A big Bloody thankyou to the brainwave who decided to change the shape of the stubby. You have made my personal & favourite holders crap!! The bottles are too tall, they flop around in my holder like a dick in a shirt sleeve. All this change so you can put 8 more cartons on a pallet, is this correct? regards (not kind) gazthou.

The new bottles are a disgrace. All of my family members drink pales and are not happy with the new design. They do not fit our myriad of stubby holders so tend to go warmer more quickly as half the stubby sticks out of the now ill fitting holders; they are less stable (more knock overs); they tend to freeze more quickly on the odd occasion we need to give them a quick zap in the freezer; they break more easily which affects recycling and I have now had to adjust my beer fridge shelving to accommodate the new height. Further - the new bottles are less stable on the wire racks in the fridge.

PLEASE RETURN TO THE ORIGINAL BOTTLES.

Whilst I haven't had the occasion to come across the new style stubby yet, I can sympathise with fellow drinkers regarding ill fitting stubby holders etc.

However since Coopers have invested in changes to their bottling lines, packaging etc. it is unlikely they will be changing back to the previous style of stubby, given they have probably invested a fair amount of money in designing & producing the newer stubbies. They probably also have a fair supply on order from the bottle factory.

I think the bottle factory is just down the road from where I live. Would anyone like me to drop in & see if they still have the mould for the old bottles? :)

Local IGA charges almost $20 for a 6 pack of red, so i normally go to the local bottle shop, but i was doing some shopping and decided to save myself a detour..

Anyway, they had coopers red in the new style bottles - which i didnt notice until well after opening one. I noticed the relatively unpleasant taste straight away though.

Less matured? More metallic maybe? Definitely not the coopers red that i have grown to love.

I didnt bother drinking the rest, and they still remain in the fridge. I'll open one after i finish my old style bottle, and compare again.

There was such a noticeable difference, that i came here just to search for the thread i knew had to be here, and signed up just to post.

--- time passes, beer is drunk....

after 2 "old" bottles of coopers red, i tried another of the new bottles.

Much less flavour, and a rather unpleasant lingering bitter taste at the back of the tongue. Still better than one of the other-brands canned bitters, but only just.

I assume the change in bottles occured alongside other changes in the production process?

I think somebody missed the "Add Flavour" step.

Archived