.2Kg Juniper smoked Rye Malt

.2Kg Rye Malt

.2Kg Light brown sugar

.1Kg Crystal 120L

.1Kg Crystal 40L

69g Victory Malt

S-04

10L (ish)[pinched]

Step Mash @ 58C (15mins), 67C (15mins), 72C (30mins), mash out 82C (5mins)

10g Hallertau pellets (60 mins)(5.3%)

15g Hallertau 30mins

15g Juniper berries 30mins, 5g 10mins

2 15cm juniper branches in the mash

US-05

OG 1.066 FG 1.15 IBU 23.3 SRM 11 ABV 6.83%

So I took a gravity reading today. It's sitting @ 1.020. The sample is tasting great. There is a lot going on in there. The smoked rye is present, and so is the berries and maybe even the branches are there. This one found my nose right away. Wow, it made me want more!

Maybe this is an experiment that went right... Finally[pinched]!

Are you missing some base malt or something in there Chad? I can only see about 2.6kg of fermentable stuff?

Please forgive me for not going back through the thread and checking the other versions of the recipe. [pinched]

EDIT: I just went back through, and your last one was a 10L recipe, not 21L

Another update:

So, I don't know if it's the Damned S-04 or not but this bad boy has spot it's ferment at 1.020. The approx. FG was 1.015 (BREWMATE). What does anyone think? Has it stalled? This hasn't happen before...[annoyed]

The FG in BrewMate is calculated on the AA% of the yeast only. It doesn't take into account the mash temps, and doesn't change the AA when you select different yeasts.

I don't know how fermentable your wort would have been from the mash rests you did, but I've recently had several that I mashed at higher temps stop at around 1.020.

Just bring the temp up and maybe rouse the yeast.

I've never had S-04 stall before, but I always brew at around 20c.

EDIT: - Beaten by Hairy, but hopefully added some useful info. If you kept going over your mash temps, even by 1-2c you will DEFINITELY notice less attenuation. I just recently found out that my thermometer is measuring 1c too low, so every mash was 1c higher than intended. MAN I've been getting some sweet beers [pinched]

Hey Phil, I read your thread over on AHB. You checked your thermometer by comparing it to your plastic thermomemter.

How do you know your plastic one isn't out and your new thermometer is correct?

BTW - I didn't realise that Brewmate doesn't take into account mash temps. I notice that 66C is the default temp so is this the mash temp it uses for all brews?

Another update:

So, I don't know if it's the Damned S-04 or not but this bad boy has spot it's ferment at 1.020. The approx. FG was 1.015 (BREWMATE). What does anyone think? Has it stalled? This hasn't happen before...[annoyed]

The FG in BrewMate is calculated on the AA% of the yeast only. It doesn't take into account the mash temps, and doesn't change the AA when you select different yeasts.

I don't know how fermentable your wort would have been from the mash rests you did, but I've recently had several that I mashed at higher temps stop at around 1.020.

Just bring the temp up and maybe rouse the yeast.

I've never had S-04 stall before, but I always brew at around 20c.

EDIT: - Beaten by Hairy, but hopefully added some useful info. If you kept going over your mash temps, even by 1-2c you will DEFINITELY notice less attenuation. I just recently found out that my thermometer is measuring 1c too low, so every mash was 1c higher than intended. MAN I've been getting some sweet beers [pinched]

Thanks Phil,

I gotta' say that I was a bit worried about the FG being 1.020 but now that you remind me of my own crazy mash temps I'm not suprised at all![lol] [sideways] [sleeping]

My porter finished at about 1019-1020. I too thought that maybe the yeast had stalled, but both raising the temp and throwing a new pack of yeast at it didn't make any difference. I'd guess it was something to do with the mash temps and types of malts used. It turned out really nice though, for an experimental recipe that I had no clue how would turn out. [biggrin]

Hey Phil, I read your thread over on AHB.

How do you know your plastic one isn't out and your new thermometer is correct?

BTW - I didn't realise that Brewmate doesn't take into account mash temps. I notice that 66C is the default temp so is this the mash temp it uses for all brews?

STALKER!!! [lol]

Yeah, I dunno Hairy it wasn't the best test, I think I really need to test it against several and see if it's the odd one out. It was just the only thing that made sense at the time. I have also had a fellow brewer with many years experience (Chiller from AHB) taste a few of my beers, and comment that most were all rather on the sweet side for the recipes I'd put down.

He and BribieG both suggested my thermometer was a likely culprit, and when I saw it reading differently to my other, I leaped to that conclusion. [roll] Easier to blame a piece of glass and mercury than my amazing brewing skills!! [lol] [lol]

As for the mash temps in BrewMate, I don't think it takes them into account when calculating FG at all. I've changed them drastically to see what would happen, and no change to FG. Change the yeast AA however, and you get a result. The default is 75%.

I'll grab every thermometer I can find before next brew day and post the results. [cool]

• 3 weeks later...
Edited recipe:

2Kg Pilsner Malt

.2Kg Juniper smoked Rye Malt

.2Kg Rye Malt

.2Kg Light brown sugar

.1Kg Crystal 120L

.1Kg Crystal 40L

69g Victory Malt

S-04

10L (ish)[pinched]

Step Mash @ 58C (15mins), 67C (15mins), 72C (30mins), mash out 82C (5mins)

10g Hallertau pellets (60 mins)(5.3%)

15g Hallertau 30mins

15g Juniper berries 30mins, 5g 10mins

2 15cm juniper branches in the mash

US-05

OG 1.066 FG 1.15 IBU 23.3 SRM 11 ABV 6.83%

So I took a gravity reading today. It's sitting @ 1.020. The sample is tasting great. There is a lot going on in there. The smoked rye is present, and so is the berries and maybe even the branches are there. This one found my nose right away. Wow, it made me want more!

Maybe this is an experiment that went right... Finally[pinched]!

So, I tried a bottle of this "Viking Beer" and I have to say that this one is one of the finer brews I've made[happy] . There is so much going on in this beer! It is smooth, sweet, well balanced with just the right hops and juniper to give a complex profile of bitterness and flavour. The juniper, I thought would give a sharp dryness to the beer, but it turned out way more rounded[joyful]. And, let's not forget the smokey rye. This is the subtle note behind everything else.

It is not a beer to be swilled in mass quantities as the complexities might be a bit of an overload. This statement, I know has turned most of you Aussies off trying this one.

It can only get better from here.[joyful] I will be letting this one age a while.

Thanks KR for the idea.

It is not a beer to be swilled in mass quantities as the complexities might be a bit of an overload. This statement' date=' I know has turned most of you Aussies off trying this one.[/quote']

Are you questioning our ability to swill complex beers in mass quantities? I believe this statement is incorrect*

*assuming VB is considered a complex beer

I'll bite Hairy; this is my opinion, so I stand to be corrected, but VB is not a complex beer, more a beer that has a bit more POR than your average Aussie beer, and maybe a bit less subtle bitterness as a result.

That makes it more a beer with a complex than a complex beer in my book.

It's less watered down than Tooheys, or some of the cold filtered or dry beers, but it's about as subtle as a sledge hammer!

Having said that, I drank my share of VB back in the day, and it's not the worst beer in the world - certainly better than some other beers on offer in Australia more than 20 years ago (think Fosters, Swan Lager, Reschs, KB, DA etc).

Having said all that though, I'm sure you can consume mass quantities of complex and quality beer, I personally couldn't these days, but that's because I value my health above my drinking prowess. Home brewing isn't just about making and drinking lots of beer, it's about making something you would rather drink than a ready made beer, or just enjoying the fruits of your labour, rather than just drinking your wages at the bar.

Home brewing isn't just about making and drinking lots of beer' date=' it's about making something you would rather drink than a ready made beer, or just enjoying the fruits of your labour, rather than just drinking your wages at the bar.[/quote']

THIS. While I started out with the idea of cheap beer, now it's more about making kickarse beer that I enjoy drinking. People think I must drink a truckload because of all the beer I have in storage but it's purely for ageing and conditioning purposes that I have so much. Having said that, I do enjoy a night out on the town whenever I get the chance. [innocent]

I'll bite Hairy; this is my opinion' date=' so I stand to be corrected, but VB is not a complex beer, more a beer that has a bit more POR than your average Aussie beer, and maybe a bit less subtle bitterness as a result.[/quote']

I wasn't throwing out bait, I was being facetious [innocent]

I agree with your comments about homebrewing and volumes of beer though.

Hey KR,

How is your brew coming along with a little more age?

BTW all, My comments above were not intened to prevoke a dicussion on the complexies of your most maligned VB megaswill. It was a shot at all you blokes downunder and your reputation for swilling beer![devil] [alien] [biggrin]

BTW all' date=' My comments above were not intened to prevoke a dicussion on the complexies of your most maligned VB megaswill. It was a shot at all you blokes downunderand your reputation for swilling beer![devil'] [alien] [biggrin]

How dare you label us as a nation of beer swillers! [pinched]

I drink my VB in a refined and dignified manner [rightful]

I may be leaving myself open for all kinds of abuse here, but even though I'd never buy VB I reckon there's still a place for it. If it's 43c and you're at a BBQ, and someone rips one straight out of the ice, I'm not going to say no. Sometimes downing a sub-zero bottle of piss is okay in our weather. [bandit]

Okay, have at me...

I may be leaving myself open for all kinds of abuse here' date=' but even though I'd never buy VB I reckon there's still a place for it. If it's 43c and you're at a BBQ, and someone rips one straight out of the ice, I'm not going to say no. Sometimes downing a sub-zero bottle of piss is okay in our weather. [bandit']

Okay, have at me...

For some reason I just can't stomach VB, even before I developed a more cultured palate.

The BBQ scenario you mentioned would have involved Carlton Draught for me [bandit]

I may be leaving myself open for all kinds of abuse here' date=' but even though I'd never buy VB I reckon there's still a place for it. If it's 43c and you're at a BBQ, and someone rips one straight out of the ice, I'm not going to say no. Sometimes downing a sub-zero bottle of piss is okay in our weather. [bandit']

Okay, have at me...

For some reason I just can't stomach VB, even before I developed a more cultured palate.

The BBQ scenario you mentioned would have involved Carlton Draught for me [bandit]

It's a trusty XXXX or XXXX Gold for us Banana Benders...[love] [alien]

I guess I brought this Aussie megaswill topic to light on my own, eh?[annoyed] But I must say that at 43C I'd be so dazed that I might consider drinking a bottle of chilled cat piss. I can't say, I've never had the pleasure of 43C.[smile]

Viking beer, anyone?[innocent]