Coopers Community

Viking beer? Reckon it'd be any good?

I've got to say that those Viking beers that I brewed were my favourite of all my brews that I created in the 7+ years that my brewing obsession spanned. By far the most interesting and complex flavours and aromas.

It's definitely one I miss since hanging up the beer stein. Those were interesting times. I'm glad I've moved on though.

Chad

PS. Hello to all my old mates here on the forum. I still check in from time to time to see how you are all doing.

Yup. Gave it all up for healthy living! I found life was just too short to spend half of it smashed. My kids are of the age that they are really fun to hang around with so I gave up the booze so I could have more time for them.

I sold my brewery this past summer. The proud new owner took away 3 truck loads! Good luck to that guy. He'll need it!

G'day Chad. smile

PS. Hello to all my old mates here on the forum. I still check in from time to time to see how you are all doing.

Sad to hear you're no longer brewing your own beer' date=' but happy life seems to be treating you well & you're enjoying your family life. [img']happy[/img]

Come to think of it, given the disastrous wild yeast plague with subsequent bleach bombing to eradicate, along with the exploding carboy that both nearly took your life, probably the safest option was to opt out of brewing your own beer before you killed yourself in some tragic brewing catastrophe there at the once Log Cabin Brewery! tonguelol

All the best mate!

Cheers,

Lusty.

Those recipes (on page 1, four years ago) sound awesome. I will have to try them out.

I heard about viking yeast still living on "alesticks" that Norwegian farmers have preserved for centuries. Actually I read about it. I forget where. Might have to get them to post me one.

• 1 year later...
  • 6 months later...
On 6/25/2019 at 1:13 PM, King Ruddager said:

@headmaster - any tips on what category "Viking Beer" would fit into if I wanted to enter it into a comp? There's a category for smoked specialty beers, which I think is probably the one I want as it has juniper and doesn't follow any particular style ...

Hi there KR,

The BJCP 32B smoked specialty beer category would suffice, as the base beer can be anything and does not have to be a classic style. Of course you would need some smoked malt in the mix somewhere. 

Alternatively 34C Experimental Beer can be pretty much anything you nominate.

From BJCP Guidelines 2015: 

34C. Experimental Beer
This is explicitly a catch-all category for any beer that does
not fit into an existing style description. No beer is ever “out of
style” in this style, unless it fits elsewhere. This is the last
resort for any beer entered into a competition.
Overall Impression: Varies, but should be a unique
experience.
Aroma: Varies.
Appearance: Varies.
Flavor: Varies.
Mouthfeel: Varies.Comments: This style is the ultimate in creativity, since it
cannot represent a well-known commercial beer (otherwise it
would be a clone beer) and cannot fit into any other existing
Specialty-Type style (including those within this major
category).

• Like 1