Coopers Community

Viking beer? Reckon it'd be any good?

Be careful calling it "VB" - people might misunderstand and put you on their black lists.
Yea' date=' I know. I'm not afraid to be on anyone's black list.[img']bandit[/img] Besides, you and I are the only ones who read this thread.

Also, didn't you only just brew your latest batch? Or is that the last of your very first effort?

When you keg, things don't hang around very long!devil I have two kegs tapped and a constant rotation. Remember, fresh is best!wink

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Just had the last of Viking Beer III

Rye - spot on

Juniper - pretty good (or not as bad as previously thought)

Smoked malt ... despite my epiphany about vikings burning things I think I'll leave it out entirely next time

Right now I think I'll halve the roast barley and that's about it.

What am I forgetting?

Okie dokie, Viking Ale IV.

Changes? A bit less all 'round actually. Less malt, less rye, less smoked malt (changed my mind again on this one) and less roast barley.

Less is more this time!

I'm still tinkering with the hop schedule, but I think with my red ale I discovered that magnum leaves a nice spiciness if boiled for 40 minutes, so I'm going to try and achieve that again.

1.5kg Coopers light LME

1.0kg light DME

250g brown sugar

500g rye

200g smoked malt

50g roasted barley

15g Magnum @40

15g Hallertauer @20

28g Juniper Berries @20

10g Hallertauer @10

10g Hallertauer dry

Nottingham yeast

OG: 1.046

FG: 1.010

IBU: 26.7

EBC: 23.9

ABV: 4.7%

Hey KR

I use a home smoker that I bought at the hardware store. I Mostly use it for smoking pork bellys, ribs and fish, and occasionally malt. Lately I've bee smoking with pear wood that I coll from a neibours tree.

I loo of a home smoker you could probably use a bbq on indirect heat.

Smoking meat is another hobby of mine

My BBQ doesn't have a hood unfortunately, and I don't think it's worth investing in a smoker. Oh well, no big deal! I do know somebody with one who would probably quite happily do it for me.

Also, I just decided that I'm going to increase the juniper this time around. It's quite strange that I haven't changed much about how I use this particular ingredient since it's actually the star of the show! Last time it didn't quite have the presence so I think I'll go from 28g to 42g (ie. one and a half 1oz packets). Might throw that amount in for 15 instead of 20 though.

Next time you see your friend with the smoker, give him a kilo of malt for him to smoke the next time he has the smoker going for himself. He can smoke multiple things at once.

Maybe not all types of wood would appropriate for brewing. I'm just experimenting at this point myself. I do know that the bag of smoked rye I have in front of me smells amazing

• 4 months later...
Edited recipe:

2Kg Pilsner Malt

.2Kg Juniper smoked Rye Malt

.2Kg Rye Malt

.2Kg Light brown sugar

.1Kg Crystal 120L

.1Kg Crystal 40L

69g Victory Malt

S-04

10L (ish)[pinched]

Step Mash @ 58C (15mins)' date=' 67C (15mins), 72C (30mins), mash out 82C (5mins)

10g Hallertau pellets (60 mins)(5.3%)

15g Hallertau 30mins

15g Juniper berries 30mins, 5g 10mins

2 15cm juniper branches in the mash

US-05

OG 1.066 FG 1.15 IBU 23.3 SRM 11 ABV 6.83%

So I took a gravity reading today. It's sitting @ 1.020. The sample is tasting great. There is a lot going on in there. The smoked rye is present, and so is the berries and maybe even the branches are there. This one found my nose right away. Wow, it made me want more!

Maybe this is an experiment that went right... Finally[pinched']!

So, I tried a bottle of this "Viking Beer" and I have to say that this one is one of the finer brews I've made[happy] . There is so much going on in this beer! It is smooth, sweet, well balanced with just the right hops and juniper to give a complex profile of bitterness and flavour. The juniper, I thought would give a sharp dryness to the beer, but it turned out way more rounded[joyful]. And, let's not forget the smokey rye. This is the subtle note behind everything else.

It is not a beer to be swilled in mass quantities as the complexities might be a bit of an overload. This statement, I know has turned most of you Aussies off trying this one.

It can only get better from here.[joyful] I will be letting this one age a while.

Thanks KR for the idea.

This is the recipe I'd follow if I were you, Ben! It's a 10L batch so you will have to adjust to your prefered volume. I wouldn't bother with the step mash.smile

Thinking...

Recipe: Viking Beer

Brewer: Grumpy

Style: Aussie/ Canadian Viking

TYPE: All Grain

Recipe Specifications

--------------------------

Batch Size (fermenter): 23.00 l

Estimated OG: 1.058 SG

Estimated Color: 15.5 EBC

Estimated IBU: 29.7 IBUs

Ingredients:

------------

Amt Name Type # %/IBU

6.00 g Gypsum (Calcium Sulfate) (Mash 60.0 mins Water Agent 1 -

3.00 g Calcium Chloride (Mash 60.0 mins) Water Agent 2 -

3.00 g Epsom Salt (MgSO4) (Mash 60.0 mins) Water Agent 3 -

1.00 g Salt (Mash 60.0 mins) Water Agent 4 -

4.00 kg Pale Malt (Barrett Burston) (3.9 EBC) Grain 5 69.0 %

1.00 kg Smoked Malt (Weyermann) (3.9 EBC) Grain 6 17.2 %

0.50 kg Rye Malt (Weyermann) (5.9 EBC) Grain 7 8.6 %

0.20 kg Caramel/Crystal Malt - 30L (59.1 EBC) Grain 8 3.4 %

0.10 kg Caraaroma (Weyermann) (350.7 EBC) Grain 9 1.7 %

30.00 g Northern Brewer [5.85 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 10 16.9 IBUs

30.00 g Juniper Berries (Boil 20.0 mins) Spice 11 -

4.00 g Brewbrite (Boil 10.0 mins) Fining 12 -

30.00 g Northern Brewer [5.85 %] - Steep/Whirlpo Hop 13 8.5 IBUs

30.00 g Saaz [3.03 %] - Steep/Whirlpool 60.0 mi Hop 14 4.4 IBUs

Mash Schedule: BIAB, Medium Body

Total Grain Weight: 5.80 kg

----------------------------

Name Description Step Temperat Step Time

Saccharification Add 33.55 l of water at 70.7 C 66.7 C 75 min

Mash Out Heat to 75.6 C over 7 min 75.6 C 10 min

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Water adjustments for a Pale Ale.

Actually' date=' looking again 500 is plenty although Chad's used a kilo before. I must've misread your post initially to think it wasn't enough[/quote']

I'll do it next week, need to smash out an IPA today...