Coopers Community

Viking beer? Reckon it'd be any good?

First I have to build a cold smoker.

So which iteration is this for you? It's my sixth now!

To try each others I think we'd have to just brew the same recipe' date=' no? Unfortunately though I don't know how I'd get hold of the juniper sticks and stuff that you use.[/quote']

That does look like a cool smoker build over on the threadcool. The one thing I would say is it is best to have the malt as thinly spread as possible to get as much contact as possible. This saves having to stir the malt around as much. I use a smoker called Little Chief. it the shape of a very small frig with wire shelves. I have made a couple of mesh envelopes out of some window bug screen that I contain my malt in. I give this "bag" a shake a couple of time during the smoking periods.

There was probably as many different Viking Beers to recipes as there was Viking women to brew them. I'm sure there was lots of variation from one brew to the next.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm brewing this one today

Erick the Red Ale (2.0)

Spice, Herb, or Vegetable Beer (21 A)Type: All Grain

Batch Size: 40.00 l

Boil Size: 49.93 l

Boil Time: 75 min

Fermentation: Ale, Two Stage

Date: 2015-11-08

Brewer: C. A. Parent

Equipment: Log Cabin Brewery

Efficiency: 85.00 %

Est Mash Efficiency: 89.3 %

Ingredients Amt Name Type # %/IBU

14.00 g Gypsum (Calcium Sulfate) (Mash 60.0 mins) Water Agent 1 -

4.00 g Baking Soda (Mash 60.0 mins) Water Agent 2 -

4. g Epsom salts

2.00 g Calcium Chloride (Mash 60.0 mins) Water Agent 3 -

0.20 kg Rice Hulls (0.0 EBC) Adjunct 4 2.0 %

6.50 kg Pale Malt, 2 row (Gambrinus) (3.9 EBC) Grain 5 65.7 %

1.00 kg Caramel/Crystal Malt - 80L (157.6 EBC) Grain 6 10.1 %

1.00 kg Munich Light 10L (Gambrinus) (21.7 EBC) Grain 7 10.1 %

0.50 kg Rye Malt (9.3 EBC) Grain 8 5.1 %

0.50 kg Rye, Flaked (3.9 EBC) Grain 9 5.1 %

0.10 kg Chocolate Malt (689.5 EBC) Grain 10 1.0 %

0.10 kg Roasted Barley (591.0 EBC) Grain 11 1.0 %

30.00 g Tettnang 4.50 %- First Wort 60.0 min Hop 12 8.7 IBUs

60.00 g Juniper Berries FWH Fresh

15.00 g Magnum 14.00 % - Boil 60.0 min Hop 13 12.3 IBUs

17g Tettnanger 0mins

1 Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 mins) Fining 14 -

3L starter Cabin Strain

Yeast Nutrient (Primary 3.0 days) Other 16 -

Gravity, Alcohol Content and Color

Est Original Gravity: 1.063 SG

Est Final Gravity: 1.016 SG

Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 6.1 %

Bitterness: 21.0 IBUs

Est Color: 33.2 EBC

EDIT: Brew day recipe alterations and additions in boldwhistling

Nice looking beer. Ruddy! Great photo, too! This recipe of ours really makes an amazing beer doesn't it.cool

My latest version is two days in the FV and it is still blowing through the airlock. This is with my very own "Cabin" strain, wild yeast.cool I'm happy to says that I've kept this strain going in my brewer for over a year now. through multiple brews and the occasional "feeding" to keep the strain alive between pitches.

• 2 weeks later...

I would like to brew your Highness' latest version of this recipe and have got all of the ingredients, only change is Fuggles for aroma (any comments?). I have been advised by my LHBS that it is required to use Rice Hulls when mashing with Rye Malt but do not see it in your recipe, is it really necessary?

• 2 weeks later...

This was my fourth attempt at biab, both this and the first left me with a lot of "sediment" both in the cube and the FV. This one has been in the cube for 3 days and the bottom roughly 3 litres was full of "sediment", it has been in the FV for about an hour and a half, there seems to be a sediment layer up to the 2 litre mark already. Is there something I am not doing correctly or is the "sediment" normal?

Recipe is;

4.5kg Red X

1kg Wheat malt

1kg Smoked malt

160g Red Crystal malt

25g Magnum @ 60

15g Fuggles @ 20

30g Juniper Berries @ 10

6g Brew bright @ 10 ( first time I have used this)

15g Fuggles @ 0

Rehydrated Nottingham

Hi Heath,

I'm really happy to hear that you brewed a Viking beer. I'm sure it will blow your mind. I've got one ready to drop into a keg this weekendcool.

I'm sure all the "sediment" is from the large % of wheat malt. Wheat malt and Rye malt do not have a husk like barley that acts as a filter to catch all of the sediment before it goes into the FV. I don't think its a big deal. You might end you with a little bit less beer than you had expected in the bottles, though.

The change of hops was easy, I had Fuggles in the freezer, your recipe calls for Hallertau and I was not sure which one (blanc, muttelfruh or hersbrucker), so let's call that the easy way out. As for the wheat I hope that was a typing error on my part but I am not sure because I see that I have wheat on the shopping list also. I definitely wanted rye, I just hope that I ordered it and used it! I will have to search for the slip from the lbhs to see what I used.

Would the rye also cause the "sediment" or is that a sure sign of wheat?

If I did use wheat how big an issue would that be?

I cannot find the slip but have added up the cost of the days purchases and it would appear that I used Rye not wheat malt as per your recipe, will go to the lbhs tomorrow to confirm this. Another point of relief is that the "sediment" in the FV appears to have compacted down to the 1 litre mark over night.

... As for the wheat I hope that was a typing error on my part but I am not sure because I see that I have wheat on the shopping list also. I definitely wanted rye' date=' I just hope that I ordered it and used it![/quote']

lol Fingers crossed

As for sediment, no idea sorry

I cannot find the slip but have added up the cost of the days purchases and it would appear that I used Rye not wheat malt as per your recipe' date=' will go to the lbhs tomorrow to confirm this. Another point of relief is that the "sediment" in the FV appears to have compacted down to the 1 litre mark over night.[/quote']

What an anxious couple of hours. I have just been to the lbhs and it was indeed rye that I used.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Time to brew a Viking Beer this weekend, and it's version SEVEN would you believe!!

Here's my recipe

75% Ale Malt (4.2kg)

20% Rye Malt (1.1kg)

3.6% Dark Crystal (200g)

1.3% Roasted Barley (75g)

Mash temp 67°

2.2kg of the ale malt has already been smoked over hickory with my ghetto-smoker setup. Mmmm, smelly.

18g Magnum @60

15g Hallertau @20

28g Juniper Berries @10

15g Hallertau @0

27L batch

Nottingham yeast

OG: 1.046

FG: 1.011

IBU: 24.6

EBC: 29.4

ABV: 4.8%

No Red X this time (none available) so I've gone with plain old ale malt (also no maris otter available), a slight increase in crystal and a touch of roasted barley to colour it up. I've also gone with a touch more rye and have increased the smoked component from 1.5 to 2.2kg.

Yay brewing happy

Hey KR,

So it's time for another Viking ale, eh? I'll have to see if my "Cabin" strain is still alive. Maybe I'll make another one myself soon.

Is this your first AG Viking? I can't remember.

I'm not sure if it matters with BIAB or not, but when I'm brewing with that much Rye malt in the bill I like to include a few good hand fulls of rice hulls to help keep things flowing.