Coopers Community

Blow Your Own Trumpet

Hi guys.

The 'Recipe Resource' category has been a little quiet of late, so to all those that think they have a recipe that is the 'Beez Neez', how about you share it here?

I'd love to see what recipe(s) ALL of you guys are most proud of thus far in your home brewing adventures.

It can be a style you think you have mastered, or a hybrid that no-one has probably ever tasted. Whatever you like.

Experimentation takes a long, long time. I'd rather just pat someone on the back! [biggrin]

I will definitely be documenting & having a crack at most of the recipes thrown up in this thread. After all, isn't that what we are all about? Drinking great beer?

I hope a few of our more experienced members will be forthcoming. [wink]

Beer.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Beerlust,

I call this one 24ct Gold.

1 can of Morgans Pale Lager Malt

500g LDM

500g Dry Wheat Malt

700g Dextrose

100g Munich Malt steeped for 20 mins

10g each of Amarillo, Cascade and Nelson Sav @ 10 mins

10g each of Amarillo, Cascade and Nelson Sav @ 5 mins

10g each of Amarillo and Nelson Sav @ 2

1 Safale 04

23 litres

OG 1053

FG 1014

ABV 5.1%

This is a really nice beer. I've done it a few times and each time i've played around with the hop addittions. The first time i tried saaz and amarillo, not bad, then amarillo on its own, beautiful, then this one above, exellent and also amarillo and moteuka which was also exellent.

The latest one is in the FV and has amarillo and willamette with US-05. Took a sample earlier and i'm VERY[biggrin] happy with it!

Brendan.

While these weren't my recipes, I really enjoyed both the SMOTY Ale from the How to Brew section on here and Neill's Centenarillo Ale. (I can't remember the recipe from the top of my head). I've got a good feeling about the Amber Ale I have in the FV at the moment, but I won't "blow my own trumpet" about it until I've tasted the finished product and deemed it worthy.[lol]

I have planned a "Cascade Pale Ale" all grain recipe for my next batch, it'll be my first all grain brew. I went to Craftbrewer yesterday and picked up some of the equipment I'll need (will get the rest tomorrow), and they gave me that recipe to start on, with instructions for the BIAB method too. Definitely excited and looking forward to that one![biggrin]

With so many options I find it hard to make the same beer twice, the closest I have came was my Bushy Park Blonde*.

Therefore it can get a bit like the Olympic games, each time I proclaim this is my best brew ever. Now that I have two DIY FVs as well as an original style I hope to return to some of my best recipes as listed in my signature.

So what can I offer to this thread is another English Beauty.

Thames Valley Red (On tap)

1.7kg Coopers English Bitter

500g Coopers LDM

300g Dextrose

350g Cara Red

125m Wyeast 1275

20g Willamette @ 5 minutes

15g Willamette @ 3 minutes

OG 1.037

Yeast pitched at 16'C, fermented 4 days as 16'C then 18'C.

FG 1.006.

Tapped keg at 9 weeks.

footnote:

*Although the Bushy Park Blonde isn't my favourite it is the favourite of friends and family.

Hi BrendanS8.

Interesting recipe. That's a lot of dextrose (700gms).

I did check on final ABV & with the Brewcraft Calculator it came out @ 6.0%, OG = 1.053, FG = 1.011

With 300gms of Dextrose it ended up @ 5.1% ABV

Type O?

Beer.

G'day Beer,

the 700g of dex is right and the FG is right (according to me).

Just looking back through previous brews and noting OG's and FG's, most of them are consistent with what i've got for this brew that i've posted.

In the September issue of "Brew Your Own" magazine they wrote about how to estimate your FG from your OG.

Quote "take the OG (in "gravity points") and divide by 4 to get an estimated FG. (For example, if your OG was 1.080, your expected FG would be 1.020, because 80 divided by 4 is 20.)" Unquote.

So take the 53 (from 1.053) and divide by 4 = 13.25 Pretty close.

Anyhow Mr Lust you can always lower the dex amount if you want, it won't change the flavour.

Give this one a go, you won't be disappointed. [rightful]

Brendan.

Hiya guys.

Yes I am a newbie brewer in terms of the complexity of ingredients that I use currently to brew my beers at this time. However, that doesn't mean I can't muster up something I think more than a passing few would enjoy drinking.

If you are looking for a really nice kit brew based recipe to drink over the summer, here's my offering for a cool summer drinking. . .

Ingredients:

Coopers Australian Pale Ale 1.7kg tin

Dried Light Malt Powder 500gms

Honey (good quality) 375gms

Maltodextrin 250gms

Pride of Ringwood hops 25gms

Cascade hops 15gms

Coopers Pale Ale kit yeast 7gms

The EXACT way this was put together.

1). Make sure your Fermenting Vessel is somewhere in-between your sink & your cooking area.

2). Grab a saucepan & boil 2 litres of water, & once it has reached the boil, throw in (slowly, bit by bit) 25gms of Pride of Ringwood hops. Gently boil that for 25mins, then add 15gms of Cascade hops & gently boil for a further 15mins.

During this process, the liquid mass of brewing the hops will reduce the overall liquid volume of the hop brew in the saucepan that you will add into the brew mass. Don't be scared about adding 500mls at a time while watching the hop brew if it becomes too thick & too close to the flame.

3). Just after you start the hop boil, get your kettle going & get 2-3 litres boiled. Pour that into your sink (with the plug in), & place your brew kit can & your honey jar in that liquid to soften the liquid to make them easier to pour.

Once your FULL hop boil finishes @ around 40mins, open your Coopers Pale Ale can, & pour the contents (with the aid of a sanitized spoon) into your fermenter. Then add the Coopers BE2 powder intro your fermenter. At this stage, make available boiled water of a minimum of 250mls.

Once you have the boiled 20mls of water, pour it into the Coopers Pale Ale tin, give it a little swirl for about 15secs & then place a small saucer lid over the top of the tin. Allow 5-6mins to elapse.

Hiya guys.

Yes I am a newbie brewer in terms of the complexity of ingredients that I use currently to brew my beers at this time. However, that doesn't mean I can't muster up something I think more than a passing few would enjoy drinking.

If you are looking for a really nice kit brew based recipe to drink over the summer, here's my offering for a cool summer drinking. . .

Ingredients:

Coopers Australian Pale Ale 1.7kg tin

Dried Light Malt Powder 500gms

Honey (good quality) 375gms

Maltodextrin 250gms

Pride of Ringwood hops 25gms

Cascade hops 15gms

Coopers Pale Ale kit yeast 7gms

The EXACT way this was put together.

1). Make sure your Fermenting Vessel is somewhere in-between your sink & your cooking area.

2). Grab a saucepan & boil 2 litres of water, & once it has reached the boil, throw in (slowly, bit by bit) 25gms of Pride of Ringwood hops. Gently boil that for 25mins, then add 15gms of Cascade hops & gently boil for a further 15mins.

During this process, the liquid mass of brewing the hops will reduce the overall liquid volume of the hop brew in the saucepan that you will add into the brew mass. Don't be scared about adding additional hot water at a time while watching the hop brew if it becomes too thick & too close to the flame.

3). Just after you start the hop boil, get your kettle going & get 2-3 litres boiled. Pour that into your sink (with the plug in), & place your brew kit can & your honey jar in that liquid to soften the liquid to make them easier to pour. At the same time, pour 2 litres of regular temperature tap water into your fermenter.

Once your FULL hop boil finishes @ around 40mins, open your Coopers Pale Ale can, & pour the contents (with the aid of a sanitized spoon) into your fermenter, then set the can aside. Then add the honey & the maltodextrin into your fermenter. At this stage give the contents of the fermenter a stir. Place a fine strainer over the top of your fermenter, & pour your cooked hop brew into your fermenter. At this stage, make available boiled water of a minimum of 250mls.

Once you have the boiled 250mls of water, pour it into the Coopers Pale Ale tin that you set aside, give it a little swirl for about 15secs & then place a small saucer lid over the top of the tin. Allow 5-6mins to elapse.

Now pour that contents into the brew.

Now give the current contents in your fermenter a good stir & top up to 20L. Check your temperature. Add cold water or even ice as necessary, to obtain a temperature of approx, 20-22\xb0C at a final volume of 23 Litres.

Give the brew a vigorous stir & pitch your Coopers 7gms of dried yeast at that 20-22\xb0 temperature & close the lid tight!

Let it brew for 2 weeks, & then bottle as usual.

For the hop heads, double the cascade @ 15mins, add 10 cascade @ 5 mins, & possibly cascade 15gms dry hopped.

The honey experiment I tried, added a nice residual flavour I liked.

The base recipe without the additional hops is a nice drop. Just give it a good month in the bottle then Cold Condition for a week as the better brewers suggest.

Beer.

Hey Beer,

Here's an IPA to think about. It has gone through a few changes and this is the latest result. It is excellent if I do say so myself.

Big Island IPA

1.7Kg OS Real Ale

1.1Kg LDM

566g Amber LME

150g 40L crystal malt

30g Oak Chips (sprinkled @ ferment)

20g Cascade (30mins)

20g Nelson Sauvin (10mins)

10g Cascade, N. Sauvin, Amarillo (dry hopped)

21L water

US-05

120g Dex (bulk prime)

This one is my best beer to come out of my brewery by far. I have gone on about it before and would love you you (or someone else) to give it a go.

.......that doesn't mean I can't muster up something I think more than a passing few would enjoy drinking.

Aha, so the thread is really called "blow my own trumpet" [lol] [biggrin] .

To me the amount of POR added to the boil means you have turned the APA kit into the Sparkling Ale kit. I could be wrong but the POR provides the muscle when it comes to bittering but not much else compared to other hops. I reckon you could save some prep time by opting for the Sparkling Ale kit. But then again it could be a good experiment to see how it compares with the Sparkling kit and a stepping stone to all extract. If you want to do a proper APA using extract or AG then you need to bitter with POR (technically speaking)[rightful] .

Aha' date=' so the thread is really called "blow my own trumpet" [/quote']

I was actually hoping I wouldn't have to post anything in here for quite some time. I just wanted to keep the thread rolling along.

I am a little surprised a few more of the guys haven't posted a recipe here yet. Maybe they don't want to share? [pouty]

As for my recipe, it is very simplistic. But for someone new to home-brewing, it will give them a nice tasting beer without too much effort.

Nelson, you are right about the POR being added for bitterness. I'd never actually used it before, & because it is so widely used in Australian commercial brewing I thought I'd give it a go.

As far as it turning the APA kit into a Sparkling Ale kit, I'm not of the same opinion. I haven't used the Sparkling Ale kit yet, but am very familiar with the commercial product & its taste. I don't think my recipe replicates those types of flavours.

Thank you to those that have posted a recipe so far.

Beer.

I am a little surprised a few more of the guys haven't posted a recipe here yet. Maybe they don't want to share? [pouty]

Hey Lusty

It may be that most of the good recipes are already in the archives. I took the opportunity to share my EB as I hadn't listed it elsewhere.

Anyhow I am just putting together an APA, my grains (Pale Malt) are steeping in the oven as we speak. I am using the Coopers APA kit, Coopers Wheat Malt Extract and a little LDM. The kit has the POR but my hop additions will be Galaxy and Willamette.

I am going to follow this one up next week with a full extract version, for comparison. I was going to go with POR for bittering but I didn't think that would prove much so I will use the Galaxy and Willamette with longer boils to hit the required IBU.

Hiya Nelson.

Your recipe sounds nice.

I've actually got a very similar recipe brewing in my FV atm. Pretty much the same base as yours, but I have no added grain, & I used some honey with Cluster & Cascade hops. I'll bottle it in a bout a weeks time.

Yum, yum, & more YUM! [biggrin]

Beer.

Here's the recipe for a partial I just threw together as an experiment. The idea was to create a stout with a relatively low bitterness level, and the result turned out to be probably the best beer I've brewed this far. Let me tell you, the smell of this stuff alone made it worth making! [love]

Ingredients (23 L):

- Coopers OS Lager can

- 1 kg of Pale Ale Malt

- 400 grams of Crystal 60

- 400 grams of Chocolate Malt

- 200 grams of Black Patent Malt

- 30 grams of Fuggles hops @ 15 minutes

- kit yeast

- (can't remember if I used any dextrose, probably not)

The grains were mashed at around 65 degrees (with some inevitable fluctuation due to the infrared stove) for 90 minutes.

My English Ales have been coming along nicely. I've been using whatever high alpha hops I have in the freezer for the early addition, simply because you need too damn much of most of the English hops to hit the IBUs I like. [pinched] Not really what I'm supposed to be doing but to hell with it.

Here's the latest one:

Grain bill (22L):

- 4.2KG Maris Otter

- 250g Caraaroma

- 250g Crystal 120

- 200g Wheat

- 75g Chocolate Malt

EDIT: Caraaroma when used in this amount gives a strange flavour to the beer that takes some getting used to. Put half in if you're unsure. I'm really liking it. [devil]

90min mash @ 67*C

Hops:

8g Citra @ 45min

30g Challenger @ 10min (+ 1/2 Whirlfloc tab)

20g EKG @ Flameout

OG = 1.047 (as you can see, my efficiency sucks [crying])

IBUs roughly 31

Lovin' my APAs too, but this one keeps me warm in winter. [love] [love]

I quite like this dark ale I came up with. It is an easy drinking dark ale that is quaffable in both winter and summer (spring & autumn too).

1.5kg Coopers Dark Liquid Malt

1.5kg Coopers Wheat Liquid Malt

200g Dextrose

200g Victory Malt

200g Medium Crystal Malt

100g Pale Chocolate Malt

25g Target Hops (10%AA) @ 40 min

20g Cascade Hops (5%AA) @ 10 min

US-05 yeast

23 litres

Yay! Hairy has finally posted one! [happy]

I'm mixing these ingredients around in my head at the moment to get a feel for what it might taste like. I'm guessing the LME (Wheat) plays a bigger part (overall flavour) in this than most would think?

It looks YUM Hairy. [cool]

I haven't used Target hops yet, only because I haven't made a dark beer this time in. From what I've read, I'm thinking it might become my bittering hop of choice once I move over to the 'dark side' of seasonal brewing. [bandit]

I'm about to begin some experimental brews revolving around a recipe I posted in >> This Thread << a little while back, over the next few weeks, & as long as I'm happy with the results, I plan to then start smashing down ALL of the recipes thrown down in this thread.

From the top of the list down. 1 by 1.

Keep 'em coming.

Beer.

The best thing I've made (based on feedback from people that have drunk way too much of it) is Dr. Smurto's Golden Ale:

Thomas Cooper's Sparkling Ale

1.5kg Wheat LME

500g Light DME

200g Caramalt (250 maybe?)

15g Amarillo @15mins

15g Amarillo @5mins

15g Amarillo dry hopped

This is, of course, this is not really my trumpet to blow, but it's the best thing I've made so far.

Hey Beer

I hope its OK to "Blow my own Trumpet" more than once.

If not I will delete my EB post.

Because this Stella Hopped IPA is my Best Beer Ever. It must be the hop, to describe it [love] .

My advise to anyone trying hops for the first time or looking to try another variety is to give these a shot.

Hiya Nelson.

You may "blow your trumpet" as often as you like in this thread. The more EXCEPTIONAL recipe posts the better.

I enjoy your regular posts on the forum (along with numerous other contributors).

If I don't comment in a particular thread, it's usually because the topic is out of my depth (and I know it).

But I sure read all of them & try to learn from them.

I'm only about 2-3 brews away from starting on the recipes in this thread, & I'm really looking forward to that. [joyful]

Cheers,

Beer.

Ok, now this one I haven't made yet, but it's my next in line and I think it'll be a cracker based on my past attempts at the ESB style.

Steep 400 grams of crystal 120 at 70 degrees for 30 minutes, strain off the resulting liquid into the boilpot, then pour hot but not boiling water over the malt in the strainer to extract as much of the sugar as possible. Add enough water and LDM to the pot to make 13 litres of 1040 wort, and bring to the boil (this will take about 1.2 kg of LDM)upon reaching the boil, add 40 grams each of East Kent Golding and Fuggles, and boil for an hour. With 10 minutes remaining in the boil, add in 25 grams each of EKG and Fuggles. Once the boil is finished, add 1 tin Coopers Amber Malt Extract and another 400 grams LDM, cool and transfer to the fermenter. Top up to 21 litres, and ferment with Danstar Windsor yeast. Dry Hop with 25g EKG on day 5 or so.

Hopefully, magnificent.

Specs on the excel sheet: OG 1054, FG 1013, IBU 43.3, EBC 27.3, BV 1.7, Alc% 5.7

• 3 weeks later...

BrendanS8 from Mt Evelyn, Vic. . .

....COME... ON... DOWN!!!....

YOU'RE THE FIRST CONTESTANT ON "BLOW YOUR OWN TRUMPET"! [lol]

Hiya BrendanS8.

As promised, I said I will attempt to brew each of the recipes kindly posted in this thread by forum members. I now have 1 free FV a fortnight (maybe 2) to start brewing them. Brendan's was the first posted & sounds right up my ally for the types of flavours I like. The post is Post#2 on page#1 of this thread.

I will admit that I am going to alter the recipe slightly by dropping the dextrose to 250gms from the 700gms listed in the recipe to lower the final ABV to approx. 5.0%.

I would welcome some advice from any brewers that have used the Munich Malt listed in the recipe for steeping. A site link posted in our forum by another kind member lists grains that can be steeped, & those that need to be mashed. On that site, it claims Munich Malt has to be mashed. Can anyone verify this for me?

The Brewing Malts Guide

If the Munich cannot be steeped I'll probably, replace it with some pale Crystal instead.

Everything else about the recipe will be followed to the letter.

Beer.

Archived