Coopers Community

Blow Your Own Trumpet

I have now had a few samplers (at 2\xbd weeks) of Canadian Eh!L's "Big Island IPA".

I can honestly say it is one of the most interesting & flavoursome beers I have ever tasted, commercial or otherwise. It ticks all the boxes for an IPA, solid bitterness, great hop flavours that have integrated well, & the wood chips have added a very noticeable trait into the beer flavour. It is a beer with real character. I'll definitely be brewing a version of this recipe again.

Congrats on such a great beer Skookum, & thanks for sharing the recipe. [cool]

My only problem now is keeping my hands off them to allow them to age a bit! [pinched] [tongue]

I bottled a version of Scottie's "Styx River Pale Ale" last weekend, & will look forward to a few samplers of those in a couple of weeks also. [joyful]

Currently have a vanilla/oak chipped "Robust Porter" into the 2nd week of primary ferment, & an APA based Galaxy & Cascade hopped brew in 1st week of primary that Hairy suggested would taste yum. Looking forward to the months ahead. [biggrin]

Cheers,

CC

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey CC,

Thanks for the feed back on the BI IPA![cool] I knew I wasn't crazy! It IS a good beer!

Lusty I respect you for your willingness to try other peoples recipes and comment on them with critical honesty. I for one have a hard time following a beer recipe without completely changing it by the end. You have taken a chance on an IPA recipe of some other dudes without changing it much!

All the flattery aside I'm glad to see your back.[bandit] Just don't intentionally try to offend. Remember! Drunkeness is NOT a defence![rightful]

I'm glad to see your back

Accidental or intentional typo? [innocent]

[lol] No comment![innocent]

In Golden, Bears don't sneak up on Canucks. Canucks sneak up on bears! [whistling

...and Skookum calls me "Crafty"! [lol] [lol] [lol]

P.S. Nice spot on the typo Hairy! [biggrin]

CC

2 days ago I kegged another Helles and had a mouthful out of the tap, the beer was as you can imagine flat but holy shucks its absolutely beautiful, crisp and clean, clear as anything and a bitterness on the end which makes your mouth want more.

5kg Pils

450g Munic

100g light crystal

100g Aromatic

30g Saaz 4.2% 60 min

10g Saaz 30 min

10g Saaz 1 min

2 packs of W-34

(I originally made a 2L starter from the wort using

Wyeast 2042 Danish lager but it never got going so I threw it in anyway with the dry yeast)

Fermented for 2 weeks @ 11\xb0c, 5 days @ 16\xb0c then racked to secondary and lagered for approx 7 weeks at 1\xb0c.

I had some trub in the fermenter and was feeling adventurous so I dropped a Euro lager kit on top with 1kg of light dry malt, the kit yeast and some nutrients...Spiked it with 25g of Cascade and will add some more in a week. sat it at 11\xb0 to see what happens [devil]

I really liked the fact that I prefer my ales more than anything I could get from the bottlo and always thought Lagers seemed to labour intensive but Im really changing my mind about them, if you have the gear I really encourage you to give it a crack.

I now have the gear to be able to do lagers (properly), but I've got a couple of others I want to do first. Also need to get the appropriate base grains.

I'll probably put my latest American PA up on here in the coming month or so when I taste it. The aroma from the brewfridge is quite [love] I must say!

Thats a Helle of a beer Graham [devil]

Even though ales are more my thing, I like the odd lager. My problem with making them is lagering for extended periods and monopolising the brew fridge.

I might have to think about making a mid sized batch, racking to a small cube or jerry can and storing it in the main fridge. Will probably have to start sucking up to the wife first though. Looks like I'm stopping off for flowers on the way home tonight [biggrin]

Archived